Keyless Cars and Their Carbon Monoxide Toll

Started by Laconian, May 14, 2018, 12:07:53 AM

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 17, 2018, 12:25:05 PM
Ehhh. I don't trust cable operated parking brakes.  Comes from living in a salty road car eating state, and never knowing when the cable is just gonna say "fuck it" and snap. Even when good, they don't hold well from going in reverse.

Agreed. Especially if they don't get used all the time, they just fail. 

My A4 was one of those fancy hydraulic/electric/whatever ones and I had confidence in it, but would park in gear on slopes anyways.

Morris Minor

It was a driving test item for me: parallel park the car, on a hill, next to the kerb. You had to leave it in gear, handbrake on, steering angled away the kerb. Switch off engine.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 17, 2018, 12:57:07 PM
I parked in neutral when I had stickshift. I don't like to rest the car on whatever the "P" locking mechanism is so I always use the parking brake now.

The parking pawl locks the output shaft of the transmission. They can be broken, but it takes a lot of force. Its also a beefy, protected mechanism that doesn't wear out,  opposed to the cable which is often exposed underneath the car, or the brakes which wear out. (Yes, I know the parking brake is often a seperate, smaller drum brake inside the rear discs, but it wears out too- especially when it goes outnof adjustment and doesn't release completely).
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Xer0

I park in neutral with the handbrake unless on a hill, then I'm in gear.  I don't remember the exact details, but I had a friend park his car in 1st gear and had remote start on it but he didn't have the hand brake engaged.  The car kept cranking, lurching forward, not catching, then repeating and he had to chase after it.  Pretty bummed I wasn't there to experience it.

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Lebowski

I have always parked a manual in gear, parking brake on. And I tend to use the parking brake more than most people in an auto as well, I like redundant.

veeman

In the 4.5 years I've daily driven a manual shift yourself, I've never parked in gear.  Now that I think about it, that's pretty dumb to do on a slope.  I'm used to by habit turning on the car with right foot on the brake but my left foot not on the clutch, then releasing the brake with the parking brake still on.  Then I fiddle with my phone setting the Waze and fiddle with the heat/ac settings until I get going. The times when parking lot attendants or car dealership service technicians have parked my car, I'm jolted when I turn the car on and the car lurches forward.

I use the parking brake a lot on the automatics I have especially when loading up the SUV with luggage.

Morris Minor

In one of my earlier visits to the USA I was allowed out in my father-in-law's Chevy Citation (what a treat.)
I could not start the thing. Did not realize it had an interlock on the clutch: depress the clutch, turn the key, life will be good.
In the UK you paid for starting the car in gear (fender benders etc)
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Laconian

Quote from: Xer0 on May 17, 2018, 03:59:59 PM
I park in neutral with the handbrake unless on a hill, then I'm in gear.  I don't remember the exact details, but I had a friend park his car in 1st gear and had remote start on it but he didn't have the hand brake engaged.  The car kept cranking, lurching forward, not catching, then repeating and he had to chase after it.  Pretty bummed I wasn't there to experience it.
LOL
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Soup DeVille

Quote from: veeman on May 17, 2018, 07:37:42 PM
In the 4.5 years I've daily driven a manual shift yourself, I've never parked in gear.  Now that I think about it, that's pretty dumb to do on a slope.  I'm used to by habit turning on the car with right foot on the brake but my left foot not on the clutch, then releasing the brake with the parking brake still on.  Then I fiddle with my phone setting the Waze and fiddle with the heat/ac settings until I get going. The times when parking lot attendants or car dealership service technicians have parked my car, I'm jolted when I turn the car on and the car lurches forward.

I use the parking brake a lot on the automatics I have especially when loading up the SUV with luggage.

This is all wrong. All of it.

I need to go lay down now.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

MX793

Quote from: veeman on May 17, 2018, 07:37:42 PM

Do you daily an antique?  Every MT vehicle sold in the US for the past 40+ years has an interlock that requires the clutch be depressed to start the vehicle.  Unless someone disables it (necessary to install a remote starter).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MX793 on May 18, 2018, 06:12:07 AM
Do you daily an antique?  Every MT vehicle sold in the US for the past 40+ years has an interlock that requires the clutch be depressed to start the vehicle.  Unless someone disables it (necessary to install a remote starter).

Most do, but there are exceptions. VW didn't for a while, and my '95 Jeep didn't.

In any case, everything he's describing is making my teeth itch.

MX793

I will say that my habit of parking in neutral on flat ground likely comes from growing up with dirtbikes and ATVs.  These tend to roll easier in neutral than in gear with the clutch disengaged.  And since the toys were pushed in and out of the garage, that meant putting them in neutral before parking in the garage made that task a little easier.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

AutobahnSHO

Will

veeman

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 17, 2018, 09:12:20 PM
This is all wrong. All of it.

I need to go lay down now.
Quote from: MX793 on May 18, 2018, 06:12:07 AM
Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 18, 2018, 06:14:24 AM
Most do, but there are exceptions. VW didn't for a while, and my '95 Jeep didn't.

In any case, everything he's describing is making my teeth itch.

Well I just went out and started my car.  By golly I do depress the clutch and brake when I start the car but then let go of both the clutch and brake with the parking brake still on.  That's when I fiddle with the Waze and HVAC controls. 

I'll have to get used to putting the car in gear when I turn it off. 

Raza

Quote from: Tave on May 17, 2018, 12:23:55 PM
I've seen people fail to fully engage their parking brake on gentle slopes and have the car start to roll away from them. Or have a car with a bad brake that is fully engaged to the same. Seems like a pointless risk to take even if you're fairly certain the ground is level.

But regardless, if you're actively thinking about how to shut off the car, you're still a step ahead of the Darwin finalists in the OP. Manuals win again.

One day my friend left his Wrangler out of gear on flat land.  Then an announcement comes over the loud speakers (this was high school) that a Jeep was rolling down the parking lot lane on its own.  Turns out, even though the ground was flat, the wind was high enough that it was pushing the car around.   :lol:
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: Lebowski on May 17, 2018, 06:56:20 PM
I have always parked a manual in gear, parking brake on. And I tend to use the parking brake more than most people in an auto as well, I like redundant.

Same here.  In the S4, I always use the e-brake when I put it in park (engaging before I let my foot off the brake).  Old habit from when I drove an automatic regularly. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Raza  on May 19, 2018, 07:11:54 AM
One day my friend left his Wrangler out of gear on flat land.  Then an announcement comes over the loud speakers (this was high school) that a Jeep was rolling down the parking lot lane on its own.  Turns out, even though the ground was flat, the wind was high enough that it was pushing the car around.   :lol:

Love it.
Will

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Raza  on May 19, 2018, 07:11:54 AM

Don't know the exact years this effected, but mine was recalled for the parking brake releasing because the ratchet pawl wouldn't engage all the way.