Shareable GM discount?

Started by Laconian, August 19, 2018, 05:14:14 PM

Laconian

Anybody have a GM family discount they'd be willing to share? My parents are deciding between a Volt and a Prius Prime. The price advantage of the Prius has them leaning Toyota. I desperately do NOT want them to buy that muffin top abomination of a car, but I can't share my corporate Suppliers Discount with them.

I already suggested the usual tricks, but do any of you have ideas for how to find a really nicely priced Volt? You guys seem to have a knack for finding nicely priced new cars...
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

2o6

What's wrong the Prius prime...?

Laconian

Quote from: 2o6 on August 19, 2018, 05:16:39 PM
What's wrong the Prius prime...?

Less electric range, slower, drives worse, weird interior, abominably bad looks.

r0tor

A Google search shows GM is sitting on a 90 day supply on volts... That stat plus the time of year with 2019s around the corner and I'd say negotiation can do as good or better then an employee discount.

Last year they shutdown production at around 100 days supply.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

12,000 RPM

Yea gas is cheap and Americans are dumb... you should be able to walk out of a Chevy dealer with a Volt for Versa Note money.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

CaminoRacer

1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV, 2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Laconian on August 19, 2018, 05:14:14 PM
Anybody have a GM family discount they'd be willing to share? My parents are deciding between a Volt and a Prius Prime. The price advantage of the Prius has them leaning Toyota. I desperately do NOT want them to buy that muffin top abomination of a car, but I can't share my corporate Suppliers Discount with them.

I already suggested the usual tricks, but do any of you have ideas for how to find a really nicely priced Volt? You guys seem to have a knack for finding nicely priced new cars...

Congrats, you know the only person in the metro Detroit area that doesn't have the ability to do this.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Morris Minor

Quote from: Laconian on August 19, 2018, 05:18:25 PM
Less electric range, slower, drives worse, weird interior, abominably bad looks.
Prius Gen 3, no looker herself, had a respectable social life. But her younger sister, Gen 4, looked like she'd been set on fire and put out with a shovel, and never got dates.

Prius sales:
140,928 - 2010
128,064 - 2011
147,516 - 2012
145,172 - 2013
122,776 - 2014
113,829 - 2015
98,863  -  2016  <-- Gen 4
65,680  -  2017
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Laconian

Quote from: Morris Minor on August 20, 2018, 04:43:35 AM
Prius Gen 3, no looker herself, had a respectable social life. But her younger sister, Gen 4, looked like she'd been set on fire and put out with a shovel, and never got dates.

Prius sales:
140,928 - 2010
128,064 - 2011
147,516 - 2012
145,172 - 2013
122,776 - 2014
113,829 - 2015
98,863  -  2016  <-- Gen 4
65,680  -  2017

The Prime is even worse!

shp4man

I don't know, I kind of like the Japanese cars getting back to the more traditional styling of the home country.

I mean, doesn't this look like it belongs on the set of a remake of Godzilla?  ;)

dazzleman

Quote from: Laconian on August 19, 2018, 05:14:14 PM

How would this actually be done?
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

CaminoRacer

The GM employee just needs a birth date and zip code to input into their system, then you show up to the dealership and they'll knock the price down a bit. It's like $1000-1200 off a Volt, on top of any other incentives going on.

Probably best to negotiate the price first, then at the very end mention that you want the family & friends discount.

dazzleman

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 22, 2018, 05:41:53 PM
The GM employee just needs a birth date and zip code to input into their system, then you show up to the dealership and they'll knock the price down a bit. It's like $1000-1200 off a Volt, on top of any other incentives going on.

Probably best to negotiate the price first, then at the very end mention that you want the family & friends discount.

But how could the discount be shared with somebody who has no connection to GM?
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

CaminoRacer

Quote from: dazzleman on August 22, 2018, 06:45:24 PM

Well it's not shareable to anyone.

I asked my brother to do it for Kevin, for example. You have to know an employee or know someone who knows an employee who likes you enough to do it

dazzleman

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 22, 2018, 06:50:52 PM
Well it's not shareable to anyone.

I asked my brother to do it for Kevin, for example. You have to know an employee or know someone who knows an employee who likes you enough to do it

Could your brother do it for Kevin?

CaminoRacer

dazzleman

AutobahnSHO

Is the amount of times they can share per employee limited?
Will

SJ_GTI

Quote from: dazzleman on August 22, 2018, 06:45:24 PM

Subaru has something similar. My brother and immediate relatives (parents, children, siblings) get the employee discount but he can also share a friends and family discount. He has to give your information to Subaru.

From what i can tell though what it (the broader friends and family discount) is really doing is taking out the negotiation...if you are a good negotiator you could probably get a similar discount on your own.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: SJ_GTI on August 23, 2018, 05:57:31 AM
Subaru has something similar. My brother and immediate relatives (parents, children, siblings) get the employee discount but he can also share a friends and family discount. He has to give your information to Subaru.

From what i can tell though what it (the broader friends and family discount) is really doing is taking out the negotiation...if you are a good negotiator you could probably get a similar discount on your own.

Yeah, I feel like it's most valuable if you negotiate first and then bring up the discount. Since it's a corporate discount, it doesn't affect the dealer AFAIK but if they know you're getting a grand off from the beginning, they'll probably include that into any discount they would have given anyway.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 23, 2018, 07:55:28 AM
Yeah, I feel like it's most valuable if you negotiate first and then bring up the discount. Since it's a corporate discount, it doesn't affect the dealer AFAIK but if they know you're getting a grand off from the beginning, they'll probably include that into any discount they would have given anyway.

Yeah the dealers don't lose out either way. They are still making a skinny profit on the friends and family discount. On the employee discount you can choose to take delivery at a dealer (my mom did this, my brother took delivery at the office). In that case the dealer isn't technically making a profit on the sale but they get to count the delivery in their totals for the month so it can still potentially help them make money on the back end with volume bonuses.