I hate dealerships

Started by MrH, August 21, 2018, 03:22:18 PM

12,000 RPM

My boss has an EX-L 2.0T and loves it. 30MPG on the commute I get 20MPG in the Kia in, and while he's not as psycho as I am he's not gentle either.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

shp4man

Quote from: Rockraven on August 25, 2018, 08:11:33 AM
Pickups can get into 6 figures.

I can't imagine why anybody would pay that much for a damn truck, but I guess they're out there.  :huh:

Lebowski

Quote from: MrH on August 25, 2018, 08:35:16 AM

I considered the manual, but for sitting in traffic daily, I think the automatic makes more sense. 10-speed auto and 2.0t for me. Didn't even consider the 1.5 liter + CVT. That's a bridge too far for me :lol: I still have the S2000 for fun manual driving.

I'm leaning towards silver. I've had two gray cars for awhile, kind of sick of it. My protege5 was silver and I liked it ok. It's down to these two colors though.

There are two blues for Accords. For the Sport model only, there's a brighter blue, but I've decided against the sport trim. The seats are a weird combo of materials, the trim is this awful fake aluminum, and the stereo is unacceptable. The wheels are awful too. The blue is kind of purple to me too.

Think I'm going to go with the EX-L 2.0t w/o navi. Real leather, much better wood trim, much better stereo, memory seats, 17" wheels instead of 19", and a few other things. Only blue that's available in that trim is dark blue, but the interior is light gray. It's way too light and would look dirty quick I think.

Sitting in traffic in a manual has never bothered me, I've never really got the don't get a manual cause sit in traffic argument.  Get the manual.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Lebowski on August 25, 2018, 10:13:49 AM

Sitting in traffic in a manual has never bothered me, I've never really got the don't get a manual cause sit in traffic argument.  Get the manual.
To be fair you've never had a car that can drive itself either, and your commute is like 15 minutes on surface streets IIRC. Plus he still has the S2000

Lebowski

15 minutes?  Walking, maybe.

Yeah, I've never had a very long commute, still the sitting in traffic I have done (not all my driving is committing and the traffic here sucks) in a manual never really bothered me.  Maybe if I sat in traffic every morning and evening that would change, who knows.

MrH

It's not bad every day.  But some days...by Thursday or Friday, you're mentally tired, and then there's an accident and you're just sitting there in stop and go for an hour it gets really draining.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

veeman

I've had three black cars: a Mazda Protege, an Enclave, and a Beetle.  I rarely washed them and never by hand.  When they were washed and the wheels shined they really popped. Especially the Enclave with the big chrome wheels (I know Mr H hates chrome) and the Beetle.  When they had dust, dirt, pollen, or salt grime on them which was most of the time, it didn't bother me though.  Whatever. 

veeman

The Accord 19" wheels look so good to me.  You don't like them?  Ride quality suffers I know and they're more likely to flat.  Did you test drive an Accord with the 19s?

MrH

Yeah, I test drove both.  I don't like asymmetrical wheels really.  Honda is big on them right now for some reason.  All of their wheels look like a turbine now.

For a daily driver, I'll take the 17" over the 19".  Much cheaper tires, and I don't really care about the looks one way or the other.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

CaminoRacer

Just buy the first used Versa from CarMax that you see
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 25, 2018, 12:12:52 PM
Just buy the first used Versa from CarMax that you see

LOL

Red red red!!!!   :lol:
Will

Lebowski

MrH

2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Lebowski

Quote from: MrH on August 25, 2018, 07:31:55 PM
How dare you call me poor!

What?  Only thing driven by more billionaires than the CRV is a Subaru.

cawimmer430

Quote from: MX793 on August 24, 2018, 10:10:18 PM
The mainstream American makes (Ford, Chevy, Dodge) are a bit more like the Japanese in that their option sheets are structured around trims/packages with relatively few standalone options.  You generally end up getting some stuff you don't want packaged with a "must have" feature. 

Pickup trucks still have a pretty sizeable number of individual options, but that's partly because they are so profitable that automakers can afford the cost hit of offering high levels of factory customization.

Got it.  :cheers:

Amazing how profitable pickups are in the US. IIRC the Ford F-150 is still the best-selling car in the US.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

MrH

Done deal.

Overall, worked out well.  The delta between the cars was under $1500.  Factor in the better financing I got through Honda vs what I was paying on the 4Runner, and the delta shrinks even more.  The 4Runner I owed for less than 3 years on it.  Took out a 36 month loan on the Accord for what was left after the equity factored in.

Basically stretched the loan a couple of months and lowered my monthly payment.  If you factor in something like 5% discount rate, the actual difference came out to $200 between the two.

Got a 3 year newer car, tons more tech (modern infotainment, leather seats, keyless start, etc), 55k fewer miles, and $100/month better gas mileage.  Just driving in traffic back to work was amazing.  Turn on active cruise control and lane keep assist, and it'll drive itself down the highway in bumper to bumper traffic on it's own.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

MexicoCityM3

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

FoMoJo

Quote from: MrH on August 28, 2018, 12:34:22 PM
Done deal.

Overall, worked out well.  The delta between the cars was under $1500.  Factor in the better financing I got through Honda vs what I was paying on the 4Runner, and the delta shrinks even more.  The 4Runner I owed for less than 3 years on it.  Took out a 36 month loan on the Accord for what was left after the equity factored in.

Basically stretched the loan a couple of months and lowered my monthly payment.  If you factor in something like 5% discount rate, the actual difference came out to $200 between the two.

Got a 3 year newer car, tons more tech (modern infotainment, leather seats, keyless start, etc), 55k fewer miles, and $100/month better gas mileage.  Just driving in traffic back to work was amazing.  Turn on active cruise control and lane keep assist, and it'll drive itself down the highway in bumper to bumper traffic on it's own.
So what colour is it and what kind of rims?

Smart move, btw.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

MrH

Yeah, I looked on a whim based on what my friend said.  Got $4,000+ off the Accord and a $27k for the 4Runner.

Ended up with the EX-L trim with the 2.0t + 10-speed auto.  Modern Steel Metallic (basically gray) with a black interior.  Kind of boring but that's alright.  The wheels are awful, but they're bad on all trim levels :lol:  I'd rather have the 17" wheels than the 19" just from a tire cost and comfort point of view.

Looks like this:

2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

12,000 RPM

Lebowski

Nice ride. I don't know what it is w/ Honda and ugly wheels.

68_427

Congrats, but damn those wheels and wheel gap are hard to look at :lol:
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

veeman

Congratulations!!  I don't see that many of this generation Accord around. 

Rich

congrats.  but that shnoz is huge in profile.  all the more protection for your future baby.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

68_427

I honestly don't even hate this

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

AutobahnSHO

Will

MrH

It's really boring looking.

But wow is it good dynamically. It's ten times the car the Genesis ever was. It's amazing how far ahead it feels.

Active cruise control + lane keep assist is a game changer for traffic.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Laconian

Going from a truck DD to a car must be nice too. It drives me nuts how truck throttles have a step function between "go slowly but gargle fuel loudly" and "DOWNSHIFT AND GO LIKE HELL". Hondas feel so light and unencumbered by comparison.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

MrH

There's power everywhere with this thing too. I didn't get the whimpy 1.5t. I got the torquier version of the type R engine. Chirps the tires in the first 3 gears. Upshifts are lightning quick. Downshifts are kind of disappointing though.

5 speed auto + NA V6 in a 4Runner feels totally different than 10-speed auto + this monster 2.0t in an accord.

And I averaged 32 mpg on today's commute :rockon:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited