Maybe I don't like cars that much anymore.....

Started by MexicoCityM3, August 28, 2018, 01:04:48 PM

MexicoCityM3

I've been all over the place regarding getting a new (to me) car this past couple of months. I've looked (meaning gone in person to see or drive them) at a couple of Z4Ms, an M6 coupe, an M6 gran coupe and a new M3 CS. Also stopped a guy with a for sale sign on his MX5 around here and looked at that.

I have a refundable deposit on this CPO M6 (long story): https://auto.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-634605107-bmw-serie-m-6-coupe-aut-_JM

Yet, I just don't have the 100% "go for it" feeling that I used to get when I was younger and spent proportionally to my income a lot more in cars. The E46, E90 and 1M all of those I got new.

An argument can be made obviously that if I had more money, I'd get more or newer cars. I even have the next door plot getting done in the next month or so with the new garage. But I don't think it's just about more money. I think it's beyond that. Maybe it´s similar to what happened before with videogames. I kept getting new games until I just didn't.

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Lebowski

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

2o6

shp4man

Sounds like an obsession is morphing into hobby. Just don't take up my hobby, drinking.  :beer:

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Lebowski on August 28, 2018, 01:17:51 PM
Don't fight the CRVenvy.

:lol:

The one upcoming purchase/lease I have no doubt about is keeping my wife driving an under warranty luxury SUV. So we're getting the next X5 or X7 in a year or so. Fixed line item on the budget.

'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: FoMoJo on August 28, 2018, 01:18:35 PM
You have other priorities at the moment. :huh:

That's it I guess. A bit boring maybe but true.

Quote from: 2o6 on August 28, 2018, 01:21:26 PM
You also have a kid

Two!
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: r0tor on August 28, 2018, 01:36:32 PM
Few few cars are exciting

I agree when looked at from a "fun to drive" perspective. What can I get new "funner" than a 1M/E46? Very very slim pickings. On the luxury side a little bit more of an argument can be made for a newer more reliable highway ubercar over the M5 with interesting things like active cruise control.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

FoMoJo

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on August 28, 2018, 01:40:55 PM
That's it I guess. A bit boring maybe but true.

The thing is, after the whole family thing settles in, maybe in 15 or 20 years, your car craze will come back just as strong.  No telling what will be on the road then, maybe all electric or even autonomous cars that don't kill people, but you can always go back to your old favourites.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

12,000 RPM

A rapper said "if money don't change you, you ain't make enough". Well I think that applies to life in general. Not spending money and obsessing over cars like a 20 something year old when you have a family is a good thing :lol:

Plus cars are in the realm of diminishing returns performance wise. You know what's scary? An X3 M40i is at least as fast as your 3 previous "fun" cars. If you have a dedicated track car I'd go full comfort on whatever this purchase is gonna be.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 28, 2018, 02:17:24 PM
A rapper said "if money don't change you, you ain't make enough". Well I think that applies to life in general. Not spending money and obsessing over cars like a 20 something year old when you have a family is a good thing :lol:

Plus cars are in the realm of diminishing returns performance wise. You know what's scary? An X3 M40i is at least as fast as your 3 previous "fun" cars. If you have a dedicated track car I'd go full comfort on whatever this purchase is gonna be.

I have thought about getting a new X3 M40i as my daily instead of the M5. I need to go drive one to see if the hype is true.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

12,000 RPM

I still prefer sedans but it hauls the mail for sure.

The last SWB 7 was a looker too.

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 28, 2018, 02:21:55 PM
I still prefer sedans but it hauls the mail for sure.

The last SWB 7 was a looker too.

https://auto.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-634606024-bmw-serie-7-44-750ia-at-_JM

This is at the same dealer that has the M6; I could get it for very little over the M5.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: 68_427 on August 28, 2018, 02:26:22 PM
You need a new RAM Limited

I'm getting a Hilux soon. That's a no brainer over the MINI.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

r0tor

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on August 28, 2018, 02:19:44 PM
I have thought about getting a new X3 M40i as my daily instead of the M5. I need to go drive one to see if the hype is true.

X3 M40i definitely has enough power to get out of its own way!

It still suffers from new car syndrome though - ie complete lack of passion.  It goes very quickly, handles very nicely.... Has a turbo engine with no turbo spool drama, no high rpm drama, sounds like a very boring digital NA engine from inside, has no steering feel, and tries to impress too much with digital infotainment crap.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Payman

It's your priorities, Hector. I gave up my Karmann Ghia, Prelude and NX2000 when the kids were born, and bought a Venture, a Pathfinder, and a Voyager. The enthusiasm doesn't go away... it's just put on the back burner for awhile.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Rockraven on August 28, 2018, 05:38:39 PM
It's your priorities, Hector. I gave up my Karmann Ghia, Prelude and NX2000 when the kids were born, and bought a Venture, a Pathfinder, and a Voyager. The enthusiasm doesn't go away... it's just put on the back burner for awhile.
Yea, there are different ways to enjoy cars as well. I am coming up on a year of not having ridden my motorcycle, but I still watch MotoGP every other Sunday, and the racing is just as good. I love following the car industry. Etc.

But having the temporal and financial bandwidth for my family is my top priority. All that other shit seems silly now as I think it should. Don't feel guilty.

Payman

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 28, 2018, 05:41:40 PM
Yea, there are different ways to enjoy cars as well. I am coming up on a year of not having ridden my motorcycle, but I still watch MotoGP every other Sunday, and the racing is just as good. I love following the car industry. Etc.

But having the temporal and financial bandwidth for my family is my top priority. All that other shit seems silly now as I think it should. Don't feel guilty.

And once the kids are gone, the enthusiasm comes back, and you have a buttload more money.  :lol:

cawimmer430

I can understand where you are coming from. Life is a journey and sometimes you have different priorities.

Recently I also asked myself what the point of speeding is. When I was driving up to Hamburg last Saturday my enthusiasm for speeding took a huge hit. There are too many idiots on the road who either hog the left lane at 130 km/h or pull out in front of you at high speeds and there are too many speed limits that pop up out of nowhere. I was asking myself why speed? Stay in the slow lane and cruise at 120-130 km/h and you'll arrive at your destination more or less at the same time, give or take 15 minutes.

I also think the current anti-car attitude seen in many places dims my enthusiasm for cars. Here in Germany I always surprised to learn how many people bitch and whine about cars, demand speed limits on the Autobahn and demand that the government taxes the sh*t out of cars even more. Then you have the somewhat popular Green Party here who demand a speed limit of 80 km/h (50 mph) on all Autobahns, driving bans every two weeks and a general driving ban on weekends. If these idiots take power they also plan on banning trucks, SUVs and sports cars - anything which has a high fuel consumption.

Such an outlook has silenced my enthusiasm for some cars. Hell, I'm just waiting for someone to call my upcoming A250 a "highly polluting car"...  :rage:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Soup DeVille

Quote from: cawimmer430 on August 29, 2018, 07:28:32 AM
I can understand where you are coming from. Life is a journey and sometimes you have different priorities.

Recently I also asked myself what the point of speeding is. When I was driving up to Hamburg last Saturday my enthusiasm for speeding took a huge hit. There are too many idiots on the road who either hog the left lane at 130 km/h or pull out in front of you at high speeds and there are too many speed limits that pop up out of nowhere. I was asking myself why speed? Stay in the slow lane and cruise at 120-130 km/h and you'll arrive at your destination more or less at the same time, give or take 15 minutes.

I also think the current anti-car attitude seen in many places dims my enthusiasm for cars. Here in Germany I always surprised to learn how many people bitch and whine about cars, demand speed limits on the Autobahn and demand that the government taxes the sh*t out of cars even more. Then you have the somewhat popular Green Party here who demand a speed limit of 80 km/h (50 mph) on all Autobahns, driving bans every two weeks and a general driving ban on weekends. If these idiots take power they also plan on banning trucks, SUVs and sports cars - anything which has a high fuel consumption.

Such an outlook has silenced my enthusiasm for some cars. Hell, I'm just waiting for someone to call my upcoming A250 a "highly polluting car"...  :rage:

I should ship the Cadillac to you for a week then, they'll shut up about your car forever.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: shp4man on August 28, 2018, 01:22:11 PM
Sounds like an obsession is morphing into hobby. Just don't take up my hobby, drinking.  :beer:
:cheers:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 28, 2018, 05:41:40 PM
MY MOTORCYCLE OBBSESSION HAS TAKEN A NOSE DIVE THIS PAST YEAR! Maybe it's time for me to change up!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Tave

Sounds like it's time for you to either buy a classic or join the darkside of MiataSPIN.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

MrH

Quote from: Tave on August 29, 2018, 08:06:22 PM
Sounds like it's time for you to either buy a classic or join the darkside of MiataSPIN.

This a great suggestion.

I think we're all getting older and priorities are shifting a bit. Miata represents most fun per dollar by far.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

CaminoRacer

Quote from: MrH on August 29, 2018, 09:13:39 PM
This a great suggestion.

I think we're all getting older and priorities are shifting a bit. Miata represents most fun per dollar by far.

False. Old muscle car with a couple suspension improvements.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

giant_mtb

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 29, 2018, 09:32:25 PM
False. Old muscle car with a couple suspension improvements.

False. Roxor or bust.

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV