UK Driving Practice Test

Started by Morris Minor, September 19, 2018, 05:55:41 AM

Morris Minor

I failed the hazard perception test but passed the theory test (scored 44/50.) The UK driving test is much tougher than when I took it as a kid, and it was pretty daunting then - failed it twice. I was devastated.

Remember to connect your synapses to the driving on the left framework.
https://www.safedrivingforlife.info/take-official-free-practice-driving-theory-test/car-practice-theory-tests/car-practice-test-one

(It should be noted that a lobotomized dead cat could pass the drivers test in the great state of Georgia.)
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

MexicoCityM3

Here we don't even have a test anymore. Testing was stopped about 20 years ago because of the rampant corruption. It's a miracle of family driving education that our roads aren't that deadly.

To get a license you have to show up with a birth certificate, proof of residency and a little money. That's it. You walk out a licensed driver.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

giant_mtb

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on September 19, 2018, 08:10:07 AM
Here we don't even have a test anymore. Testing was stopped about 20 years ago because of the rampant corruption. It's a miracle of family driving education that our roads aren't that deadly.

To get a license you have to show up with a birth certificate, proof of residency and a little money. That's it. You walk out a licensed driver.

No shit?  It boggles my mind that people fail driver's ed here in the states.  Kids spend years and years in vehicles with their parents...it seems only natural they should understand at least the basics.

Xer0

Surprised drivings tests in the UK are that complicated considering no one there can go over 30 kmph with all the damn speed cameras around every corner.

Morris Minor

Quote from: Xer0 on September 19, 2018, 08:25:59 AM
Surprised drivings tests in the UK are that complicated considering no one there can go over 30 kph with all the damn speed cameras around every corner.
My buddy rented a car there for a month. Hertz have sent him notice that he's had three violations - all caught on camera. One was for blocking a box junction. No details on the two others.

Xer0

What's the going rate of a violation now-a-days?

93JC

Theory = 46/50 :praise:

Selected the wrong answers for questions about treating burns, "the colour of reflective studs between a motorway and its slip road", the dangers I should be aware of at a blind left-hand bend on a country road, and what happens if I get six points on my licence.

What the hell is a "puffin crossing" anyway?

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 93JC on September 20, 2018, 03:16:49 PM
Theory = 46/50 :praise:

Selected the wrong answers for questions about treating burns, "the colour of reflective studs between a motorway and its slip road", the dangers I should be aware of at a blind left-hand bend on a country road, and what happens if I get six points on my licence.

What the hell is a "puffin crossing" anyway?

Or a zebra crossing? Or dipped headlights? What is nose weight? whats the difference between a roundabout and a mini-roundabout? Slip road? Soft verges?

The blind left hand turn question seemes like a "well, all of the above I suppose" to me.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

shp4man

When I went to the California DMV to get my M1 (motorcycle license), fully 50% of the people taking the regular old car driver's written test failed. The expressions on their faces when they looked up from their cell phones after they were told they failed were entertaining and also disappointing.
This is one of the reasons I sold the motorcycle- clueless, distracted, idiot drivers.

93JC

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 20, 2018, 03:28:06 PM
Or a zebra crossing?
Regular ol' crosswalk, as far as I know.
QuoteOr dipped headlights?
"Low beams"
QuoteWhat is nose weight?
:huh: :lol: I don't remember there being a question about it.
Quotewhats the difference between a roundabout and a mini-roundabout?
Mini-roundabouts don't have a physical island in the middle, but you still treat them like a roundabout. I totally lucked out with that question, I just guessed at which sign was which.
QuoteSlip road?
On/off ramp
QuoteSoft verges?
"Soft shoulder"
QuoteThe blind left hand turn question seemes like a "well, all of the above I suppose" to me.
Same, but apparently pedestrians on the road is the "most correct"? :huh:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 93JC on September 21, 2018, 11:39:36 AM
Regular ol' crosswalk, as far as I know."Low beams":huh: :lol: I don't remember there being a question about it.Mini-roundabouts don't have a physical island in the middle, but you still treat them like a roundabout.On/off ramp"Soft shoulder"Same, but apparently pedestrians on the road is the "most correct"? :huh:

Then there was the question "when will the light turn green?" The only answer I know is "whenever it damn well pleases." No lights I know of will hold green for slow pedestrians or other traffic. They be green when its green time.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

93JC

I just re-opened the test again to figure out the context of some of these. The question about the "noseweight" is relative to towing, so I just assumed it means the same thing as tongue weight.

I didn't see a question about "when will the light turn green?", but there is "You're approaching a red traffic light. What will the signal show next?" Is that the one you meant?

Laconian

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 20, 2018, 03:28:06 PM
Soft verges?

This comes across as "limp dick" to a French person touring England.

Just like "speed humps" was great fun for me and my friends when we'd drive to BC :lol:
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Laconian on September 21, 2018, 12:00:14 PM
This comes across as "limp dick" to a French person touring England.

Just like "speed humps" was great fun for me and my friends when we'd drive to BC :lol:

Some signs here say "speed hump ahead."

Seems kinda pushy, but I guess its the law.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 93JC on September 21, 2018, 11:57:04 AM
I just re-opened the test again to figure out the context of some of these. The question about the "noseweight" is relative to towing, so I just assumed it means the same thing as tongue weight.

I didn't see a question about "when will the light turn green?", but there is "You're approaching a red traffic light. What will the signal show next?" Is that the one you meant?

No, it was about a light at a crosswalk; and none of the answers were "when its time."

That one was a bit presumptuous; because it could go to flashing yellow as well.

93JC

The one about the "puffin crossing"? You're approaching a red light at a puffin crossing. Pedestrians are on the crossing. When will the red light change?

Did you take the second theory test?

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 93JC on September 21, 2018, 12:09:27 PM
The one about the "puffin crossing"? You're approaching a red light at a puffin crossing. Pedestrians are on the crossing. When will the red light change?

Yes, that one.

I have no idea what a puffin crossing is.

I assume a zebra crossing is one with white stripes; but I don't know if that implies other controls like lights or signs.

Laconian

I really like those zigzaggy lines that tell you to slow down. It's a good visual abstraction of "screeching halt".
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Soup DeVille

Apparently, puffin crossings are an upgrade from pelican crossings, and do have both sensors to detect pedestrians and a maximum green timer.

I have not found out why they're called this.

93JC

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 21, 2018, 12:26:37 PM
Yes, that one.

I have no idea what a puffin crossing is.

I assume a zebra crossing is one with white stripes; but I don't know if that implies other controls like lights or signs.

Yeah, I took a W.A.G. at that one and happened to get it right, but I had no idea what a puffin crossing is.

shp4man

You guys have cattle guards up there?

Soup DeVille

shp4man

93JC

shp4man

Morris Minor

Quote from: 93JC on September 21, 2018, 12:09:27 PM

Puffin crossings did not exist when I lived there - so I'm sure I got that one wrong. I think the answer is that the light changes when whoever's on the crossing has safely made it across.