Where's the justice in this?

Started by NomisR, January 17, 2006, 10:34:21 AM

NomisR

So I was bored and started reading this long thread

http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15154

Basically, you have this uninsured motorist, that's on disabilities, hits a Bright Green Lotus Elise.  He tries to get away, was caught and tries to talk his way out of it.  At the trial, the DA said the Elise is a semi exotic and the owner should be able to pay for it, and the uninsured motorist is a "working man" so he shouldn't be penalised.  So he gets off with a $200 fine.

Reading that thread really pissed me off, any comments?  

sparkplug

There is no justice when a crime is committed and the victim is left to pay. The criminal was driving without insurance, cause and accident, and left the scene. He is guilty of three crimes.  

JYODER240

The judge should pay for the damage for making a descision that unbelievebly stupid.  
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

TBR

When did we start to turn into Finland?

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

footoflead

Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

El Barto

:rage:  :rage:  :rage:  :rage:  :rage:  :rage:

BTW, if anyone wants to write some angry letters:
Walter D. Flanagan, State's Attorney
P.O. Box 685 146 White Street Danbury, CT 06813 (203) 207-8670

:ph34r:  :pullover:
2016 Volkswagen GTI (Aug 2015 - Present)
2008 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg (Aug 2011 - Aug 2015)
2003 Saab 9-3 2.0t (Oct 2007 - Aug 2011)
1990 Nissan Maxima SE (July 2003 - Oct 2007)

JYODER240

What is the judge just assuming that the guy with the Elise didn't work for his money? I'd be willing to be that he works harder than the other guy. Few things make me as angry as when people think that because you have more money and you can afford it when something happens like this, you should go ahead and suck it up.    
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

El Barto

Holy hell, this Flanagan guy really doesnt like her:

QuoteFor Flanagan, this is a personal vendetta - or so I think. He apparently hates me. 3 cases to cite.

1. My neighbor's dog sits on the back porch and barks. My dogs bark back. The neighbor calls the police. I'm arrested, I own the dogs. I go to court on 5 counts of "excessive barking". (Talk about laughter in court!) I end up scheduled for a TRIAL. In the end, after paying a local attorney, I wind up with about $1200 in fines. Serious case, barking... Neighbor moves, no more complaints. I have a record. (about 5 years ago)

2. I catch a Nigerian scammer. He and an accomplice actually fly into this country and drive to my office for the exchange of money. They think I have over $200k for them, in cash. Worked on it for almost a year with a Secret Service guy. No one believes I can lure them into this country, I do. The SS and two other law enforcement agencies make the arrest when one of the thieves arrives at my office. Total shock on their parts, I've done the unbelievable and scammed the scammer. He goes to jail, then to court. Flanagan lets him go because I'm the victim. (2 years this coming November)

3. Lotus... but this time he's gone too far. He's refused to uphold the law and honor the statutes. He's made a mockery of the system just to get even with me because I have a cuter car than he does.

I won't let this one rest. The judge was wrong too. Didn't canvass the defendant. The entire transcript is 2 1/2 pages. Double spaced. I wasn't given the opportunity to speak as the law prescribes. And so on. And he's sent the message to all that it's ok to drive without insurance and cause damage as long as the car you hit is fancier or more exotic than the car the prosecutor or judge drives.

Flanagan isn't going to get away with his crap this time. If nothing else, I'll keep him tied up with investigations and grievances for a long time. I'll embarass the sh*t out of him. The other two cases aside, this is wrong. There are laws for a reason. Rules of conduct. And so on.
2016 Volkswagen GTI (Aug 2015 - Present)
2008 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg (Aug 2011 - Aug 2015)
2003 Saab 9-3 2.0t (Oct 2007 - Aug 2011)
1990 Nissan Maxima SE (July 2003 - Oct 2007)

NomisR

Yeah, that District Attorney really doesnt like the owner of the Elise.  What's funny is, he made the Elise sounded like it costs half a million dollars when in fact, it costs less than most Expeditions or Escalades or whatever oversized SUVs that's out there driven by soccer moms.  The car simply looks more expensive than it actually is.. or maybe it's just that the SUVs are overpriced vehicles which they are..  

Run Away

The Elise is driven by a CHICK people.....can't beleive you missed that.

NomisR

QuoteThe Elise is driven by a CHICK people.....can't beleive you missed that.
Yeah, and a mom at that with 2 kids that's probably older than most of the posters on here.  But then again, that car's manual so it means that she's more hardcore than some of you people who can't live with a car like that!   :D  :lol:  :rockon:  :P   Wuss!!

Colonel Cadillac

QuoteHoly hell, this Flanagan guy really doesnt like her:

QuoteFor Flanagan, this is a personal vendetta - or so I think. He apparently hates me. 3 cases to cite.

1. My neighbor's dog sits on the back porch and barks. My dogs bark back. The neighbor calls the police. I'm arrested, I own the dogs. I go to court on 5 counts of "excessive barking". (Talk about laughter in court!) I end up scheduled for a TRIAL. In the end, after paying a local attorney, I wind up with about $1200 in fines. Serious case, barking... Neighbor moves, no more complaints. I have a record. (about 5 years ago)

2. I catch a Nigerian scammer. He and an accomplice actually fly into this country and drive to my office for the exchange of money. They think I have over $200k for them, in cash. Worked on it for almost a year with a Secret Service guy. No one believes I can lure them into this country, I do. The SS and two other law enforcement agencies make the arrest when one of the thieves arrives at my office. Total shock on their parts, I've done the unbelievable and scammed the scammer. He goes to jail, then to court. Flanagan lets him go because I'm the victim. (2 years this coming November)

3. Lotus... but this time he's gone too far. He's refused to uphold the law and honor the statutes. He's made a mockery of the system just to get even with me because I have a cuter car than he does.

I won't let this one rest. The judge was wrong too. Didn't canvass the defendant. The entire transcript is 2 1/2 pages. Double spaced. I wasn't given the opportunity to speak as the law prescribes. And so on. And he's sent the message to all that it's ok to drive without insurance and cause damage as long as the car you hit is fancier or more exotic than the car the prosecutor or judge drives.

Flanagan isn't going to get away with his crap this time. If nothing else, I'll keep him tied up with investigations and grievances for a long time. I'll embarass the sh*t out of him. The other two cases aside, this is wrong. There are laws for a reason. Rules of conduct. And so on.
Wait a second here, the same judge tried all her cases?

NomisR

QuoteHoly hell, this Flanagan guy really doesnt like her:

Wait a second here, the same judge tried all her cases?
No that Flanagan is the District Attorney.  He recommended to the judge to basically let the criminals off the hook and the judge went with it for whatever the reason.

Colonel Cadillac

It sounds like there are quite a few loopholes in these rulings and probably relatively simple to over turn.  

Colonel Cadillac

She does have the right idea; tie up the judge with investigations and grievances! He is a bastard who should step down for making such ludacrous calls.  

NomisR

QuoteShe does have the right idea; tie up the judge with investigations and grievances! He is a bastard who should step down for making such ludacrous calls.
No, it's the D.A. that's the screwup, and the Judge already retired.

TBR

Any judge that would go along with it is a screw up as well.

crv16

While I didn't RTFA, there might be two issues here.  First is criminal negligence - not having insurance, which the judge fined the deadbeat $200.

Second issue is financial responsibility.  For that, the Lotus owner's insurance company is certainly taking this guy to court to recover the money.

I was involved in a similar case about 8 years ago.  Some dirtbag cut thru a gas station parking lot to avoid a light and creamed my wife's van.  Over $5,000 worth of damages.  The guy didn't have a license or insurance.  My insurance company covered the repairs, and they took him to court to recover damages.
09 Honda Accord EX-L V6
09 Subaru Forester X Premium 5 speed

ifcar

Did that raise your insurance?

Raza

QuoteDid that raise your insurance?
I surely hope not.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

850CSi

I surely hope not.
Doesn't an accident on your record, even if its not your fault, have a tendency to raise insurance costs?

850CSi

BMWDave

I agree with Raza...that is bullshit.  That judge should be taken off the bench.  Misplaced compassion has no place in the court of law.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

crv16

No, not at all.
09 Honda Accord EX-L V6
09 Subaru Forester X Premium 5 speed