EVs

Started by Morris Minor, November 08, 2018, 04:03:12 AM

MrH

Test drove an EV6.  It's not for me.  I can't fit.  I can't believe how little head room it has
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

CaminoRacer

Quote from: MrH on July 24, 2022, 11:58:09 AM
Test drove an EV6.  It's not for me.  I can't fit.  I can't believe how little head room it has

I think the Ionic 5 might have more headroom?
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

MrH

Quote from: CaminoRacer on July 24, 2022, 01:21:00 PM
I think the Ionic 5 might have more headroom?

Yeah, I think so. They're even harder to find though and can't order anywhere for msrp. I don't like the styling as much, but at least it doesn't have that dumb hvac/media control setup the ev6. I thought it wouldn't be a big deal. It's awful :lol:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Speed_Racer

How tall are you?

MrH

6'2".  I'm all torso though, so I have a hard time fitting in some cars.  I usually have to lean my seat back a bit for tight cars, but it can throw all off the ergonomics.  That's what happened with this car.   I was leaned back so far, that my arms were dead straight.  The steering wheel adjustment was pretty bad too, didn't extend much at all.  To get the wheel closer, I had to move my seat up and drive like Donkey Kong in a go kart :lol:

I want to drive a Bolt EUV and see what it's like.  Too cheap not to at least test drive and see how I like it.

The Ioniq 6 is interesting too.  It's bizarre looking, but much more aerodynamic than the Ioniq 5/EV6, so it'll get much better range.  The sedan shape too might have more conventional sedan seating position and be a better fit.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

CaminoRacer

Ioniq 6 headroom will depend on the battery pack location and design. Some of the skateboard platforms lead to less headroom since the floor is bumped up 4-6 inches.

Bolt EV and EUV have plenty of headroom though. Sometimes I find my Bolt weirdly uncomfortable, but the 2022 models might be improved. EUV should be a bit bigger and possibly ride a bit nicer.

SJ_GTI

I see that EV tax credits are back on the table in the Senate. $7500 and removes individual manufacturer caps, so all companies will benefit equally.

I think its a good move if it passes. Essentially it removes the penalty from the first movers  (Tesla, GM, Nissan) in the EV space who have been operating with one hand tied behind their back on pricing. The Bolt would be a crazy good deal now. ~27k MSRP less a 7500 credit at point of sale. Essentially makes it possible to get an EV with solid range for less than 20k. Tesla Model 3's will be back to an "affordable" (under 40k) level now as well. Only downside is that for me personally it looks like they will cap it based on personal income, so I likely won't be able to take advantage of it.

Of course, we'll see if it passes or not.

Morris Minor

Unfortunately they dumped the union-made preference. This removed the last hope this planet had for avoiding CO2 doom.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

MrH

Quote from: SJ_GTI on July 28, 2022, 05:45:34 AM
I see that EV tax credits are back on the table in the Senate. $7500 and removes individual manufacturer caps, so all companies will benefit equally.

I think its a good move if it passes. Essentially it removes the penalty from the first movers  (Tesla, GM, Nissan) in the EV space who have been operating with one hand tied behind their back on pricing. The Bolt would be a crazy good deal now. ~27k MSRP less a 7500 credit at point of sale. Essentially makes it possible to get an EV with solid range for less than 20k. Tesla Model 3's will be back to an "affordable" (under 40k) level now as well. Only downside is that for me personally it looks like they will cap it based on personal income, so I likely won't be able to take advantage of it.

Of course, we'll see if it passes or not.

The whole auto industry, but especially EVs, are supply constrained.  We have massive inflation.  Why are EV credits in any way a good idea right now?
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

CaminoRacer

Quote from: MrH on July 28, 2022, 07:10:09 AM
The whole auto industry, but especially EVs, are supply constrained.  We have massive inflation.  Why are EV credits in any way a good idea right now?

True.

It could actually help inflation and reduce short term demand if they pass this bill now but the tax credits don't start until purchases made in 2023 or 2024... Less people would want to buy an EV now if they can get a $7500 discount next year.

SJ_GTI

I mean, I agree that we have (probably) crossed the Rubicon of EV's and the most logical step would be to remove EV credits for all manufacturers. But barring that (which would be politically untenable IMHO) I think this proposal is pretty good.

1. Applies equally to all manufacturers regardless of how many they sell (ie: it doesn't penalize the best EV's which sell the most and the fastest)
2. Income cap sucks for me personally, but makes sense from a policy point of view. MSRP cap also makes sense. There seem to be more than enough EV choices (and demand) for rich people EV's. The place being left behind was the low end. Even mid level EV's seemed to be getting left behind. This should help with that as manufacturers will have a strong incentive to hit an MSRP below 80k.

Morris Minor

The subsidy's MSRP cap on SUVs is $80K
The MSRP cap on sedans is $55K

So they're encouraging the purchase of less-efficient SUVs. A good planet-saving move.

GoCougs

Quote from: MrH on July 28, 2022, 07:10:09 AM

The clown show must continue.

Next up, "chip" manufacturing subsidies to the tune of a lol $280B.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: GoCougs on July 28, 2022, 11:28:31 AM
The clown show must continue.

Next up, "chip" manufacturing subsidies to the tune of a lol $280B.

I like chips. American chips, not British.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

MrH

Quote from: SJ_GTI on July 28, 2022, 09:32:15 AM
I mean, I agree that we have (probably) crossed the Rubicon of EV's and the most logical step would be to remove EV credits for all manufacturers. But barring that (which would be politically untenable IMHO) I think this proposal is pretty good.

1. Applies equally to all manufacturers regardless of how many they sell (ie: it doesn't penalize the best EV's which sell the most and the fastest)
2. Income cap sucks for me personally, but makes sense from a policy point of view. MSRP cap also makes sense. There seem to be more than enough EV choices (and demand) for rich people EV's. The place being left behind was the low end. Even mid level EV's seemed to be getting left behind. This should help with that as manufacturers will have a strong incentive to hit an MSRP below 80k.

For the record, I'm opposed to EV credits entirely.  Especially now.  This is so dumb.

But if we absolutely do have to do it (which we don't):
- I agree with the first point.  The volume cap was kind of stupid.
- The income limits don't make any sense to me.  I agree with it in principle. But the EV credit is going to apply at the time of sale now?  Does that mean you're basing this off the previous year's tax return?  By having the tax credit apply when you file your taxes, you align the two in terms of timing.  Disconnecting the two is just going to make this needlessly complicated.

Quote from: CaminoRacer on July 28, 2022, 09:21:38 AM
True.

It could actually help inflation and reduce short term demand if they pass this bill now but the tax credits don't start until purchases made in 2023 or 2024... Less people would want to buy an EV now if they can get a $7500 discount next year.

Interesting idea, but the last thing I think we need is to have tax credits on the fed balance sheet for years.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Laconian

Income limits ...
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

MrH

Income limits, but also the country of manufacturer is interesting.  It doesn't have to be made in the US.  It has to be made in a country with a free trade agreement with the US.  So I guess all the Korean EVs count?
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Morris Minor

Germany is reducing its EV subsidies.

veeman

Income limits to get a hefty tax break of $7500, while in theory might make sense, in practice are a bad idea.  Just encourages cheating and would be a nightmare for the IRS, already understaffed, to police. 

Didn't Donald Trump pay no federal income tax for several years?

Personally if I didn't qualify, my retired parents probably would.  I would have my parents buy the car for me and then I would buy it from them (used car) one year later for how much they paid for it. 

Morris Minor

In another planet-saving stroke of genius, the full $7,500 applies to plug-in hybrids too. So all you need to get the goodies is to buy an ICE car with the added deadweight of unused motors, power electronics and a 7kWh battery.

I wonder who lobbied for this one.

Morris Minor

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

CaminoRacer

I'm curious about running the cord to the car, though. Especially if the meter is on the other side of the house.

Laconian

Quote from: CaminoRacer on July 31, 2022, 11:23:38 AM
I'm curious about running the cord to the car, though. Especially if the meter is on the other side of the house.

A lot of places put the meter near the front or the driveway for ease of maintenance. Very accessible for outdoor charging.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Morris Minor

Quote from: CaminoRacer on July 31, 2022, 11:23:38 AM
Guessing it's a heavy duty cable that would be terminated with an appropriate outlet or charger.

I'm considering having plenum Ethernet cable pulled through the house to serve a couple of key areas (TV, offices etc.) One thought is to have one pulled to the garage for a ceiling-mount access point. As well as EVs it would be handy for garage door openers, lights & phone coverage (I have to use WiFi calling here)

AutobahnSHO

Seems you would still run a big cable to the garage. Then the charging hardware.
Will

Morris Minor

CaminoRacer

holy crap.

If the driver isn't dead, they should be in jail for a long long time.

r0tor

This shit happens every day and it's accepted.  If a Tesla did that on autopilot the world would erupt in outrage.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

MrH

Quote from: r0tor on August 05, 2022, 09:39:46 AM

This shit happens every day and it's accepted.  If a Tesla did that on autopilot the world would erupt in outrage.

:lol:

Tesla has crashed and killed people on autopilot multiple times and you don't seem to care.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited