EVs

Started by Morris Minor, November 08, 2018, 04:03:12 AM

r0tor

Quote from: MrH on August 05, 2022, 09:55:13 AM
:lol:

Tesla has crashed and killed people on autopilot multiple times and you don't seem to care.

So the above should have received at least equal global outrage to the typical "omfg Tesla killed someone" outrage... Correct?

If it was a Tesla on autopilot people would be screaming it shouldn't be allowed on the roads.  But it was an person driving so it's just a giant shrug.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

MrH

One is a company selling a product that's marketed as driving itself, killing people.  The other is an individual driving that way. Those are very different things.

We don't know what caused this accident.  If it was intentional and the driver lived, they would get charged with murder/manslaughter.  Tesla gets a pass...why?
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

FoMoJo

How fast was the guy going?  Seems almost like a blur crashing through the intersection.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Soup DeVille

That guy was clearly speeding intentionally. It wasn't driver error, it wasn't a mistake.

Unless the autonomous system prevents manual control at all, it would not have prevented an intentional act like this.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

FoMoJo

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 05, 2022, 11:30:32 AM
That guy was clearly speeding intentionally. It wasn't driver error, it wasn't a mistake.

Unless the autonomous system prevents manual control at all, it would not have prevented an intentional act like this.
Maybe it was a Toyota with the throttle stuck wide open...because of spaghetti code, or floor mats.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

r0tor

Quote from: MrH on August 05, 2022, 10:02:25 AM
One is a company selling a product that's marketed as driving itself, killing people.  The other is an individual driving that way. Those are very different things.

We don't know what caused this accident.  If it was intentional and the driver lived, they would get charged with murder/manslaughter.  Tesla gets a pass...why?

The end result is a deadly auto accident.  No difference there.

Tesla isn't treated any different then any other automaker or for that matter a gun manufacturer then?  No criminal charges, slight possibility of civil lawsuit?
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

MrH

Gun manufacturers aren't making any claims about not firing at people.  Tesla does.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Laconian

My 2015 Subaru would've stopped.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Morris Minor

Quote from: Laconian on August 05, 2022, 11:50:21 AM
My 2015 Subaru would've stopped.
FSD would have stopped her. FSD in the victims' cars would have afforded them some chance: evasion/braking/pre-collision airbag deployment, something.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Laconian

Theoretically perfect FSD for the victim's car, perhaps. I don't think the Tesla webcam sensor suite would be able to resolve an impending T-bone at those speeds.

MrH

Quote from: Laconian on August 05, 2022, 12:54:57 PM
Theoretically perfect FSD for the victim's car, perhaps. I don't think the Tesla webcam sensor suite would be able to resolve an impending T-bone at those speeds.

So....something fictional would have saved people :lol:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Morris Minor

Quote from: Laconian on August 05, 2022, 12:54:57 PM
I'd take imperfect over zero. They'd react quicker than people can and see 360°.

GoCougs

Quote from: r0tor on August 05, 2022, 09:39:46 AM

This shit happens every day and it's accepted.  If a Tesla did that on autopilot the world would erupt in outrage.

Which the world should - ten years hence with billions of $$$$ spent and millions of miles driven and millions of gallons of fuel burned and ALL autonomous driving still don't work the same, whereas only a fraction of a fraction of drivers are equivalently defective. Plus, That was effectively intentional which autonomous driving won't probably stop.

Laconian

Quote from: Morris Minor on August 05, 2022, 01:41:44 PM
I'd take imperfect over zero. They'd react quicker than people can and see 360°.

What really would've stopped that collision would be a roundabout instead of a red light.

Or better urban planning and functioning mass transit. :lol:

GoCougs

Quote from: Laconian on August 05, 2022, 03:27:34 PM
What really would've stopped that collision would be a roundabout instead of a red light.

YES PLEASE, esp. with the USA's pervasive urban homelessness, poverty and crime:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7kor5nHtZQ

Laconian

When you build shitty cities that the regular folk want to flee at 5pm, then of course you get Mad Max urban centers.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Laconian on August 05, 2022, 05:22:49 PM
When you build shitty cities that the regular folk want to flee at 5pm, then of course you get Mad Max urban centers.

I don't understand why people can't just live in a small town and have no commute, like I do. :lol:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

giant_mtb

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on August 05, 2022, 05:24:46 PM
I don't understand why people can't just live in a small town and have no commute, like I do. :lol:

"The energy, maaaaaaan."

Morris Minor

Quote from: Laconian on August 05, 2022, 03:27:34 PM

THIS!!! When people ask me what I miss about the UK, I always tell them roundabouts and "Give Way" (Yield) signs.
Here we fetishize red lights and stop signs. 😀

FoMoJo

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Morris Minor

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: FoMoJo on August 06, 2022, 05:41:20 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLJb-qd9fzk

They were easily doing double the speed limit. Maybe don't build a ramping slope though....
Will

Morris Minor

Quote from: Morris Minor on August 05, 2022, 06:05:24 AM
Why we need autonomous systems:
https://youtu.be/rxI9ujNQNBA
MSM says the driver is a nurse, a 37-year-old woman from Texas & was doing 100 mph. Should be easy to measure that frame-by-frame from the video.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Morris Minor on August 07, 2022, 06:05:41 AM
MSM says the driver is a nurse, a 37-year-old woman from Texas & was doing 100 mph. Should be easy to measure that frame-by-frame from the video.
Deliberate or a vehicle malfunction?  I would hope the latter, as horrible as the incident was.

GoCougs

Quote from: Laconian on August 05, 2022, 05:22:49 PM

It's the people, not the cities. Any city - any living area - is fine if the people are fine.

You'll only have Japanese-level mass transit effectiveness and urban planning (i.e., the best in the world by like a factor of 10 at least) with an iron fist, particularly that illicit drugs, homelessness and petty crime are treated as serious offenses (i.e. you get locked up and shipped out), and whereby fathereless homes and unemployment are more than frowned upon by the culture.

USA is obviously going in the opposite direction, and it will never recover (at least in our lifetimes).

CaminoRacer

The zoning laws matter a lot too. I thought I shared this video a while ago but I don't see it in my post history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfm2xCKOCNk
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Morris Minor

Quote from: FoMoJo on August 07, 2022, 08:41:01 AM
Deliberate or a vehicle malfunction?  I would hope the latter, as horrible as the incident was.
Vehicle malfunction is almost never the cause of crashes. It's pretty well always the driver. I'm sure all will be revealed in due course.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Morris Minor on August 06, 2022, 05:27:19 AM
THIS!!! When people ask me what I miss about the UK, I always tell them roundabouts and "Give Way" (Yield) signs.
Here we fetishize red lights and stop signs. 😀

They've been putting in more and more roundabouts around here. Has helped a lot in keeping the highway traffic moving at busy intersections that were previously very congested and/or dangerous with normal stoplights.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 07, 2022, 11:10:33 AM
The zoning laws matter a lot too. I thought I shared this video a while ago but I don't see it in my post history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfm2xCKOCNk

Didn't watch the whole video- but my South Carolina community is a sleepy southern town across the river from the 3rd largest city in Georgia. But the dummies here are looking at allowing exemptions to all kinds of zoning laws for new subdivisions- smaller lots, less space away from the street, buildings closer to each other, denser families in both single family and townhouse zones..... :rage:
Will