⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Morris Minor

A Tesla, a Lucid and a Rivian walk in to a bar...  :popcorn:

https://youtu.be/W-oaVLRH-js

veeman

My cousin just leased a Polestar.  A Polestar 2 I think.  Something like 0 down, $7 hundred something a month, 7500 miles/year.  Because it's a lease, the dealership gave him the $7500 govt credit towards the lease price.  He plans on going over 7500 miles/year and then when it comes time to turn in the lease, to buy the car. 

I sat inside for a few minutes.  Minimalist design (like a Tesla).  The roof is a giant sunroof like in the Tesla.  The electronic interface ipad screen thing isn't very well integrated into the dashboard but overall I liked the interior.  Didn't get a ride in it.  I think real world this car has a 200 mile range.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: veeman on March 14, 2023, 07:36:24 AM
My cousin just leased a Polestar.  A Polestar 2 I think.  Something like 0 down, $7 hundred something a month, 7500 miles/year.  Because it's a lease, the dealership gave him the $7500 govt credit towards the lease price.  He plans on going over 7500 miles/year and then when it comes time to turn in the lease, to buy the car. 

I sat inside for a few minutes.  Minimalist design (like a Tesla).  The roof is a giant sunroof like in the Tesla.  The electronic interface ipad screen thing isn't very well integrated into the dashboard but overall I liked the interior.  Didn't get a ride in it.  I think real world this car has a 200 mile range.

:confused:

I'm sure it's a great car, I just don't spend that much $$$$$
Will

Morris Minor

The dealer franchise lobby told him to jump. His only question was to ask 'How high?"
If Tesla, Rivian et al had allowed them to wet their beaks, all this unpleasantness would have been unnecessary.

Bill restricting electric car stores now law in Mississippi.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/tate-reeves-ap-tesla-bill-mississippi-b2301008.html

Laconian

Bah. This is simply a proxy skirmish for the War on Libs.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

veeman

Most people buy a Tesla online anyways, which this bill doesn't prevent. 

SJ_GTI

So my brother bought an EV on Friday. He is/was working for Subaru so always had a car through them, but he just took a new job and resigned so had to hand is Ascent back in. His first instinct was to try and find a Bolt (and Bolt!) but couldn't find one at any dealer within driving range. He did then find a Ford dealer who agreed to sell him a Mach-E (AWD, but not the GT) for MSRP so he ended up buying that instead. I took it for a spin Friday afternoon and thought it drove really nice. IIRC it is listed at something like ~260 HP but of course feels much faster. Nice interior with comfortable seats. Much bigger than I would personally like, but it works well for him, his wife, and two kids.

Morris Minor

Quote from: SJ_GTI on March 20, 2023, 06:06:31 AM
So my brother bought an EV on Friday. He is/was working for Subaru so always had a car through them, but he just took a new job and resigned so had to hand is Ascent back in. His first instinct was to try and find a Bolt (and Bolt!) but couldn't find one at any dealer within driving range. He did then find a Ford dealer who agreed to sell him a Mach-E (AWD, but not the GT) for MSRP so he ended up buying that instead. I took it for a spin Friday afternoon and thought it drove really nice. IIRC it is listed at something like ~260 HP but of course feels much faster. Nice interior with comfortable seats. Much bigger than I would personally like, but it works well for him, his wife, and two kids.
:ohyeah: .
It'll be interesting to see how it works out for them once the novelty wears off and it becomes part of the family's routine.

r0tor

My coworker has a model Y lease and he thinks he is going to switch to a PHEV next car... He has had enough range close calls that he's growing a bit tired of things
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

MrH

Quote from: SJ_GTI on March 20, 2023, 06:06:31 AM

I think the AWD ones are like 325 hp?  Of course, Ford's website is a mess, so I can't tell.  You can only order the top 2 trim levels on their site, you can't even do a Build of the lower trims to see what the specifications are :facepalm:

They seem like good cars?  Matt Farah really likes his.  My coworker has one too.  They're just too expensive for what they are IMO.  You're looking at $50k-$60k for a decent spec it seems.  Again, can't really tell though :lol:

What did you think of the looks?  I can't get on board with it.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

SJ_GTI

Quote from: MrH on March 20, 2023, 08:42:03 AM
I think the AWD ones are like 325 hp?  Of course, Ford's website is a mess, so I can't tell.  You can only order the top 2 trim levels on their site, you can't even do a Build of the lower trims to see what the specifications are :facepalm:

They seem like good cars?  Matt Farah really likes his.  My coworker has one too.  They're just too expensive for what they are IMO.  You're looking at $50k-$60k for a decent spec it seems.  Again, can't really tell though :lol:

What did you think of the looks?  I can't get on board with it.

It's definitely on the pricey side. IIRC MSRP was a little over 50k on the one he got. I think he will qualify for both a federal credit (7500) and a NJ credit (4000), plus EV's are exempt from sales tax. So all things considered he will be out of pocket ~40k, or equivalent to an ICE car of like ~37.5k.

I think it looks good. Better than the Model Y or VW ID.4, but not as nice as the Lyriq or Kia/Hyundai twins.

r0tor

So the Ford Explorer is now in Europe a rebodied VW ID4... WTF is going on
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

CaminoRacer

Quote from: r0tor on March 21, 2023, 04:03:50 PM
So the Ford Explorer is now in Europe a rebodied VW ID4... WTF is going on

WTF is wrong with Ford's marketing/naming department. It's 2 feet shorter than the gas Explorer, and the gas Explorer will still be offered. Why is the EV called an Explorer, then? Call it something else! It's Escape sized.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

FoMoJo

What version of VW is it?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CaminoRacer on March 21, 2023, 04:42:27 PM
WTF is wrong with Ford's marketing/naming department. It's 2 feet shorter than the gas Explorer, and the gas Explorer will still be offered. Why is the EV called an Explorer, then? Call it something else! It's Escape sized.

I could work for Ford's marketing department.

Explorer Mach 1
Excremental Sport Trac
Excrescent Live Wire
Exoplanet Proxima Centauri
Excargot With Garlic Butter
Expresso With Skim Milk and Two Splenda
Executable notavirus.EXE
Explainyourself Ford
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

r0tor

ExplosiveDiarrhea GT

Eye of the Tiger

Exercisebike LN7

giant_mtb

Explorer Sport Trac would have been a fun little name revival. Nobody remembers the OG version anyways, especially in Europe.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on March 21, 2023, 06:10:27 PM
Explorer Sport Trac would have been a fun little name revival. Nobody remembers the OG version anyways, especially in Europe.

You're doing it wrong. :lol:

Extendedwarranty Edsel Edition 500

r0tor

Seriously though, it's bad enough EVs are basically just derivative boxes on a skateboard... Do we now also need automakers even making them more boring and just using each other's skateboard for even mainstream products?

Where is the competition, innovation, uniqueness, passion that use to define the industry.

Morris Minor

It's built on VW's 6 year-old MEB platform, same as the ID3, ID4, Q4 e-tron and more. I think this Explorer is Europe only. Ford needed something so it could compete down market from the Mach-E. It doesn't even have a front trunk - no room left by the mess of disaggregated sloppy clutter.

I'm sure Jim Farley would have preferred to develop Ford's own platform & not be shackled to VW.

SJ_GTI

The new Explorer looks really nice. I am surprised they won't sell it in the US though. Maybe they are worried it will cannibalize the Mach-E? It seems to perfectly fit the CUV market the US loves.

Morris Minor

Quote from: SJ_GTI on March 22, 2023, 05:34:55 AM
The new Explorer looks really nice. I am surprised they won't sell it in the US though. Maybe they are worried it will cannibalize the Mach-E? It seems to perfectly fit the CUV market the US loves.
It would go up against the Chattanooga-produced ID4. Maybe VW said no to that.

giant_mtb

Quote from: r0tor on March 21, 2023, 06:27:03 PM
Seriously though, it's bad enough EVs are basically just derivative boxes on a skateboard... Do we now also need automakers even making them more boring and just using each other's skateboard for even mainstream products?

Where is the competition, innovation, uniqueness, passion that use to define the industry.

You speak as if platform sharing hasn't already been happening for decades. 

Morris Minor

Quote from: r0tor on March 21, 2023, 06:27:03 PM

I hope they're just not reskinning VW's disastrously awful software.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Morris Minor on March 22, 2023, 05:39:45 AM
It would go up against the Chattanooga-produced ID4. Maybe VW said no to that.

That would kind of make sense from VW's POV.

It would have to mean Ford is making a similar sized EV CUV using a different platform though. They can't just not sell anything at this size. They'd be ceding a lot of territory to GM/VW/Hyundai/Kia.

r0tor

Quote from: giant_mtb on March 22, 2023, 05:41:49 AM
You speak as if platform sharing hasn't already been happening for decades. 

Agree... But I feel that it's a bit different case when Toyota uses it to bring a low volume fun car to market vs Ford using to it bring what should be a fairly mainstream vehicle to market.

Morris Minor

Ford was late to the game & ran out of time, so they had to make the deal. It was this or let the Chinese have the segment.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Morris Minor on March 22, 2023, 11:05:19 AM
Ford was late to the game & ran out of time, so they had to make the deal. It was this or let the Chinese have the segment.

I'd like to get a closer look at some Chinese engineering. I am not impressed with American or German. Can it be worse? They just copy stuff.