EVs

Started by Morris Minor, November 08, 2018, 04:03:12 AM

CaminoRacer

Quote from: shp4man on August 20, 2019, 09:53:36 PM
Is EV tech REALLY any better than this 1955 golf cart?

6 Volt batteries, bitches!  ;)

OK, so regenerative braking. Possible fire from Lithium/Ion batteries... Some other bullshit electronic crap...WTF?  :lol:

It's a fucking golf cart.... :rolleyes:

Drive a Bolt. They're great. I love not having a transmission, especially when driving in hilly/mountainous areas. The car scoots up hills effortlessly thanks to all the torque.

It's also cool because you can sit in the car with the car "on" whenever you want. If you're working on something in the interior, you can turn the A/C on no big deal or worries about dying from carbon monoxide. Or you can turn the A/C on while it's parked outside without worrying about idling fuel usage or emissions.

I've had an EV for a week and it's 10x better than a gas car as a daily driver.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

NomisR

:hesaid:

However, everytime I go back to a sporty car with a nice exhaust note, I know I still miss that. 

MrH

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 21, 2019, 09:30:41 AM
Drive a Bolt. They're great. I love not having a transmission, especially when driving in hilly/mountainous areas. The car scoots up hills effortlessly thanks to all the torque.

It's also cool because you can sit in the car with the car "on" whenever you want. If you're working on something in the interior, you can turn the A/C on no big deal or worries about dying from carbon monoxide. Or you can turn the A/C on while it's parked outside without worrying about idling fuel usage or emissions.

I've had an EV for a week and it's 10x better than a gas car as a daily driver.

It's the lack of road-trip ability.  That's the only thing that's preventing me from getting a bolt.  I would need another vehicle just for long trips.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

CaminoRacer

Quote from: NomisR on August 21, 2019, 09:40:13 AM

However, everytime I go back to a sporty car with a nice exhaust note, I know I still miss that. 

Yeah, the Bolt driving experience isn't as exciting as the El Camino's. And a nitro dragster is way more exciting than an electric dragster. There's still a place for internal combustion engines in the world. But for basic transportation, EV is where it's at IMO. Save the gasoline for fun weekend drives and racing.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: MrH on August 21, 2019, 09:48:28 AM
It's the lack of road-trip ability.  That's the only thing that's preventing me from getting a bolt.  I would need another vehicle just for long trips.

Yeah, I wouldn't have gotten it if we didn't have 2 other gas cars for road trips. Although within the past 6-12 months there have been a lot of quick chargers installed along I-15 so I can drive to Vegas or LA just fine in the Bolt if I want to. Utah is lucky to be near California so the infrastructure has spread more quickly here than most other states. If I still lived in Cincinnati I'm not sure it would make as much sense yet. Maybe in like 2 years, idk

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: MrH on August 21, 2019, 09:48:28 AM
You are supposedly was engineerd. :hammerhead:

Build a trailer with a giant, fold out solar panel array.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

MrH

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 21, 2019, 09:51:19 AM
Yeah, I wouldn't have gotten it if we didn't have 2 other gas cars for road trips. Although within the past 6-12 months there have been a lot of quick chargers installed along I-15 so I can drive to Vegas or LA just fine in the Bolt if I want to. Utah is lucky to be near California so the infrastructure has spread more quickly here than most other states. If I still lived in Cincinnati I'm not sure it would make as much sense yet. Maybe in like 2 years, idk

I probably go on at least one trip a month I couldn't take the EV on.  That's just too frequent to rent constantly.

Maybe some day.  I think the Honda EV would be cool as a commuter, but now I'm talking about 3 cars just for myself (roadtrip/winter SUV, electric commuter, sports car) :mask:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Morris Minor on August 21, 2019, 08:55:40 AM
In GA there's a $0.26/gal excise tax on gasoline.
Doing the math I estimate for my CR-V I pay around $110/year in gas tax, which is effectively a pay-per-mile road use tax.

So to recoup revenue lost to EVs they'll have to come up with something. Maybe a big chunk payable at tag renewal time? That would turn it into a flat tax - you pay the same no matter who much or how little you use the roads.

(The GA tax credit on EV purchases went away two or three years ago - and Nissan Leaf sales promptly collapsed)
This is the only way. I would say we should figure out how to get them to spend the money on roads... but I'm learning that's just regional.

In the 6.5 years I've been here, they have either widened or connected 3 interstates, and are constantly updating or improving roads in every county I drive through regularly. They've done more here in 6 years than maybe 16 years in NYC. So the only solution for better roads might be to move.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Laconian

We have to pay for new car tabs every year. Why not collect the tax at that point?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

NomisR

Quote from: MrH on August 21, 2019, 10:01:07 AM
I probably go on at least one trip a month I couldn't take the EV on.  That's just too frequent to rent constantly.

Maybe some day.  I think the Honda EV would be cool as a commuter, but now I'm talking about 3 cars just for myself (roadtrip/winter SUV, electric commuter, sports car) :mask:

You're single, why does it matter, get a bigger house with 4 cars and add a dedicated track car onto that list.

NomisR

transponders and even transponder type stickers are becoming available.  This would be an easy way to track usage and bill based on that.  Toll roads everywhere!

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: NomisR on August 21, 2019, 12:19:25 PM
transponders and even transponder type stickers are becoming available.  This would be an easy way to track usage and bill based on that.  Toll roads everywhere!

Cell phones already track everyone's movements. With not even a scribble from a judge, any law enforcement agency can track when and where your cell phone has been.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: NomisR on August 21, 2019, 12:18:06 PM
You're single, why does it matter, get a bigger house with 4 cars and add a dedicated track car onto that list.

:rockon:

Morris Minor

Also, think of the cosmetic challenge. Tailpipes are chromed penile extensions that are a measure of the manliness of the car. Makers go to a lot of effort - adding weight & complexity for what are usually unnecessary extra tailpipes - my weedy CR-V shopping cart is well-endowed.

With EVs we will be emasculated - no todgers needed.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Laconian

Feel free to weld a pipe on the back of your car.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Laconian on August 21, 2019, 04:04:41 PM
Feel free to weld a pipe on the back of your car.

With a cotton candy vape generator, and extra nicotine.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Morris Minor on August 21, 2019, 03:50:58 PM
Also, think of the cosmetic challenge. Tailpipes are chromed penile extensions that are a measure of the manliness of the car. Makers go to a lot of effort - adding weight & complexity for what are usually unnecessary extra tailpipes - my weedy CR-V shopping cart is well-endowed.

With EVs we will be emasculated - no todgers needed.

Black is the new chrome

Laconian

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on August 21, 2019, 04:05:52 PM
With a cotton candy vape generator, and extra nicotine.

Turns every car into a WRX. :lol:

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 21, 2019, 09:26:24 AM
The Bolt's maintenance schedule is hilariously simple. Rotate the tires, change the cabin air filter. Maybe a brake job after 100k miles.

Yeah I forget about how much less you're using the brakes. As long as the batteries aren't abused, quite maintenance free.
Will

Morris Minor

... and all those guys working in the pits of the quick lube places: back in the day the worst that could happen was a face full of scalding hot oil. Fuck up now and you get a 1.8 ton Li-ion battery pack dropping on your head.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

afty

I'm having fun with my Model 3.  Just got back from a 350-mile trip to Napa and Marin County.  Didn't stop to charge at all because the hotels we stayed at all had free chargers.

Laconian

Quote from: Morris Minor on August 21, 2019, 07:50:02 PM
... and all those guys working in the pits of the quick lube places: back in the day the worst that could happen was a face full of scalding hot oil. Fuck up now and you get a 1.8 ton Li-ion battery pack dropping on your head.

Didn't you see Alex's maintenance schedule? Why would an EV ever go to a shop at all?

CaminoRacer

Quote from: afty on August 21, 2019, 09:23:49 PM
I'm having fun with my Model 3.  Just got back from a 350-mile trip to Napa and Marin County.  Didn't stop to charge at all because the hotels we stayed at all had free chargers.

Nice :rockon:

Do the Model 3s have a charging port on each side? I noticed that the Model 3s at work plug in on the rear driver's side with the J1772 plugs. Where does the Tesla plug go? Does that 1 port support both plugs?

NomisR

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 22, 2019, 06:54:46 AM
Nice :rockon:

Do the Model 3s have a charging port on each side? I noticed that the Model 3s at work plug in on the rear driver's side with the J1772 plugs. Where does the Tesla plug go? Does that 1 port support both plugs?

There's an adapter if I remember correctly.

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on August 21, 2019, 07:40:48 PM
Yeah I forget about how much less you're using the brakes. As long as the batteries aren't abused, quite maintenance free.

Yeah, after 110k miles for the Volt, there's still a lot of brakes left that could probably last another 100k if not more before it needs to be changed out.  The Bolt lift regen is even more agressive so I imagine there's an even less of a need to change the pads.

ChrisV

You might miss the sporty exhaust note, but for most people, they're not going to miss the buzzy, blatty sound (in comparison) of the typical 4 cyl or V6 daily driver. No one will miss the orgasmic sound of their Equinox or Sonata. ;)

And I've found that even getting back into a nice sounding ICE car, it feels and seems a bit crude in comparison after driving an EV for a while. One of the reasons I HATE using the gas generator on the Volt...
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

NomisR

Quote from: ChrisV on August 22, 2019, 09:31:14 AM
You might miss the sporty exhaust note, but for most people, they're not going to miss the buzzy, blatty sound (in comparison) of the typical 4 cyl or V6 daily driver. No one will miss the orgasmic sound of their Equinox or Sonata. ;)

And I've found that even getting back into a nice sounding ICE car, it feels and seems a bit crude in comparison after driving an EV for a while. One of the reasons I HATE using the gas generator on the Volt...

Yeah, definitely.. there's a bit of satisfaction with the quick acceleration and the exhaust note.  For my daily commute, the EV suites me just fine.  I can still drive without having to touch the brakes.

afty

Quote from: NomisR on August 22, 2019, 08:57:41 AM
There's an adapter if I remember correctly.
Yup, there's a single charge port at the driver's side rear, and the car comes with an adapter so you can use J1772 chargers as well as Tesla chargers.

Interestingly, the hotels had both Tesla chargers and J1772 chargers.  The Tesla chargers were often full, so I used the J1772 chargers instead, which were much less busy.

NomisR

Quote from: afty on August 22, 2019, 10:21:18 AM
Yup, there's a single charge port at the driver's side rear, and the car comes with an adapter so you can use J1772 chargers as well as Tesla chargers.

Interestingly, the hotels had both Tesla chargers and J1772 chargers.  The Tesla chargers were often full, so I used the J1772 chargers instead, which were much less busy.

Do you guys also have a CCS adapter?

afty

Quote from: NomisR on August 22, 2019, 10:25:38 AM
Do you guys also have a CCS adapter?
Not in the U.S.  There is a CHAdeMO adapter, but it's super expensive at $450.

European Model 3s come with a CCS port instead of the proprietary Tesla port. 

12,000 RPM

Quote from: ChrisV on August 22, 2019, 09:31:14 AM

Gas generator in the Volt is prob the worst kind of engine note... a nasally 4 banger completely disconnected from engine load or vehicle speed

I don't see people ever getting tired of sporty engines with 6 or more cylinders....
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs