EVs

Started by Morris Minor, November 08, 2018, 04:03:12 AM

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Morris Minor on August 20, 2019, 06:55:03 AM
Trying to reconcile street parking & EV charging. It's a big challenge.
The youth of many cities in the UK express their vibrant culture through vandalism and theft. A gaggle of shitfaced yobs vomiting its way home from the pub at 2:00 AM would make short work of this.

Anyway - this is is a good idea - charging posts that hide themselves when not in use.
https://youtu.be/Frkw6aurVUY

Do they mess with gas pumps?

Is the location of these along the street instead of at a gas station the big difference?
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Laconian

Friend of mine is getting his I-Pace delivered in the next few days. :rockon:
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Laconian on August 20, 2019, 11:27:50 AM

I still haven't seen one of those in the flesh yet.

FoMoJo

Some serious torque there.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Morris Minor

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 20, 2019, 10:57:41 AM
Do they mess with gas pumps?

Is the location of these along the street instead of at a gas station the big difference?
Gas pumps are in lit & under surveillance. EVs & their cables on residential back streets are going to be tempting targets for the skells.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Morris Minor

Very nice.

So where are we going to be? 50% EVs by model year 2025?
More likely in Europe I think.

NomisR

I don't think we have the infrastructure to handle 50% EV on the road, even if it's 50% being sold by 2025.  Not just the charging infrastructure but I don't think the grid can handle it nor would the state be able to handle that great of loss of taxation from the gas tax.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: NomisR on August 20, 2019, 12:39:58 PM
I don't think we have the infrastructure to handle 50% EV on the road, even if it's 50% being sold by 2025.  Not just the charging infrastructure but I don't think the grid can handle it nor would the state be able to handle that great of loss of taxation from the gas tax.

No one thinks about that last one until it's too late.
Will

Laconian

CaminoRacer

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on August 20, 2019, 12:46:27 PM
No one thinks about that last one until it's too late.

Raise the gas tax.

Utah is gonna tax EVs when they renew their registration. I think it's backwards since Utah is also trying to clean up the air. Should be punishing ICE vehicles more to encourage EVs, not taxing the EVs.

BimmerM3

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 20, 2019, 02:52:56 PM
Raise the gas tax.

:hesaid: Or restructure it some other way.

Of all the problems facing wide adoption of EV, that's just about the easiest to solve.

NomisR

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 20, 2019, 02:52:56 PM
Raise the gas tax.

Utah is gonna tax EVs when they renew their registration. I think it's backwards since Utah is also trying to clean up the air. Should be punishing ICE vehicles more to encourage EVs, not taxing the EVs.

The thing is, EVs are already getting various incentives via Federal and State governments to encourage it's purchase.  They will eventually have to do this anyways.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: NomisR on August 20, 2019, 03:30:02 PM
The thing is, EVs are already getting various incentives via Federal and State governments to encourage it's purchase.  They will eventually have to do this anyways.

Eventually, yes. Or build a sales tax into paid charging stations, same as gas pumps

NomisR

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 20, 2019, 04:07:50 PM
Eventually, yes. Or build a sales tax into paid charging stations, same as gas pumps

What about those that charge at home for free? I rarely if ever used paid charging stations.

giant_mtb

So EVs get thousands of dollars per unit from the government just for buying the thing.  They pay zero gas tax.  Only road tax they pay is registration.

Lovely.  Hope to never see somebody driving an EV complain about shitty roads. lol

NomisR

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 20, 2019, 05:06:37 PM
So EVs get thousands of dollars per unit from the government just for buying the thing.  They pay zero gas tax.  Only road tax they pay is registration.

Lovely.  Hope to never see somebody driving an EV complain about shitty roads. lol

Or we could privatize the roads... :lol:  just saying... transponders that charge on use.  sponsors by businesses, etc etc...

giant_mtb

Quote from: NomisR on August 20, 2019, 05:14:33 PM
Or we could privatize the roads... :lol:  just saying... transponders that charge on use.  sponsors by businesses, etc etc...

Yes, let's have tolls on every street in America.

CaminoRacer

Most EV driver's have a ICE car as well. :huh:

Shit, I pay twice as much gas tax as most people here with my El Camino's gas mileage :lol:

AutobahnSHO

It's going to be a mess of legislation. Watch some states tax by miles driven per year, others will make a mandatory GPS which means out of state drivers don't get charged, etc... etc...

Plus it's funny there are the federal gas taxes plus the state gas taxes. :confused:
Will

Laconian

I just saw a vehicle turn into MASSIVE fire and start to catch on other vehicles!! Someone alert the media! EVs are a nuisance!

Oh wait, it was a work truck which burned gasoline.

Nevermind.

(but really, this did happen on my ride home from work. One of the public works trucks in their storage lot was an inferno and everybody in the shop had left an hour ago.)

shp4man

Is EV tech REALLY any better than this 1955 golf cart?

6 Volt batteries, bitches!  ;)

OK, so regenerative braking. Possible fire from Lithium/Ion batteries... Some other bullshit electronic crap...WTF?  :lol:

It's a fucking golf cart.... :rolleyes:

FoMoJo

You can also say that the technology is pretty much the same as this...

Which was a good idea at the time except for the constraints of, primarily, battery technology.  Many of those constraints are now being removed with existing battery technologies as well as a developing infrastructure to support EVs.

No stopping it now. :huh:
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

ChrisV

The problem is that taxes that are supposed to go to road repair don't. You're not going to convince me that any additional registration costs are going to get used to repair infrastructure and roadways as it is. Any extra money ALWAYS goes to pet projects and graft.

I love my Volt as a daily driver. Probably going to replace it and the ZHP with pure EVs in the near future.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

ChrisV

Quote from: shp4man on August 20, 2019, 09:53:36 PM
Is EV tech REALLY any better than this 1955 golf cart?

OK, so regenerative braking. Possible fire from Lithium/Ion batteries... Some other bullshit electronic crap...WTF?  :lol:

It's a fucking golf cart.... :rolleyes:

Know how I know you've never driven modern EV? Quit being a closed minded old fool.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

NomisR

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 20, 2019, 05:56:43 PM
Yes, let's have tolls on every street in America.

It will likely result in cheaper cost and better roads.  Toll charges can also change based on things like the weight of the vehicle.

NomisR

Quote from: FoMoJo on August 21, 2019, 07:35:55 AM
You can also say that the technology is pretty much the same as this...

Which was a good idea at the time except for the constraints of, primarily, battery technology.  Many of those constraints are now being removed with existing battery technologies as well as a developing infrastructure to support EVs.

No stopping it now. :huh:

The main benefits of EV is that everything is modular.  It makes building constructing a lot cheaper once the whole thing has matured.  And of course maintenance is extremely cheap as well. 

shp4man

Quote from: ChrisV on August 21, 2019, 08:23:50 AM
Know how I know you've never driven modern EV? Quit being a closed minded old fool.

My experience with an EV so far has been a Focus Electric that's wiring was chewed by rats- I had to repair it. It required multiple road tests and a constant fear the goddam thing's batteries will fail somewhere and require a tow truck. Charging it on 110 volts takes forever.
Parts were incredibly expensive because of the low volume production of the car. An example? The coolant pump/heater that makes the cars HVAC system work costs a cool $1700.
I would advise anybody actually considering an EV,,,DON"T BUY IT!...lease it.

Morris Minor

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on August 20, 2019, 07:06:45 PM
It's going to be a mess of legislation. Watch some states tax by miles driven per year, others will make a mandatory GPS which means out of state drivers don't get charged, etc... etc...

Plus it's funny there are the federal gas taxes plus the state gas taxes. :confused:
In GA there's a $0.26/gal excise tax on gasoline.
Doing the math I estimate for my CR-V I pay around $110/year in gas tax, which is effectively a pay-per-mile road use tax.

So to recoup revenue lost to EVs they'll have to come up with something. Maybe a big chunk payable at tag renewal time? That would turn it into a flat tax - you pay the same no matter who much or how little you use the roads.

(The GA tax credit on EV purchases went away two or three years ago - and Nissan Leaf sales promptly collapsed)

CaminoRacer

Quote from: NomisR on August 21, 2019, 08:31:12 AM
The main benefits of EV is that everything is modular.  It makes building constructing a lot cheaper once the whole thing has matured.  And of course maintenance is extremely cheap as well. 

The Bolt's maintenance schedule is hilariously simple. Rotate the tires, change the cabin air filter. Maybe a brake job after 100k miles.

NomisR

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 21, 2019, 09:26:24 AM
The Bolt's maintenance schedule is hilariously simple. Rotate the tires, change the cabin air filter. Maybe a brake job after 100k miles.

Yup, hell, even the maintenance for the Volt was super simple, I did 1 oil change in 110k miles.  Just tire rotation and cabin filter