EVs

Started by Morris Minor, November 08, 2018, 04:03:12 AM

CaminoRacer

Wimmer I feel like you need to take a break from the extreme edges of the German internet for a while. Binge watch old 80s action movies and enjoy the cars instead. :lol:
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

cawimmer430

Quote from: giant_mtb on September 15, 2019, 11:54:25 AM
They don't like SUVs in Germany?  Never heard that one before.

SUVs are very popular here. But most of them are smaller FWD + Diesel types of SUVs. And the mega luxury SUVs sold here are mostly Diesel-powered, except for Bentley, Rolls-Royce, Lamborghini and some Porsche SUVs.

SUVs are hated by Greenies and some radical ecological weirdos. Then again they hate all kinds of cars.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

cawimmer430

Quote from: CaminoRacer on September 15, 2019, 01:38:11 PM
Wimmer I feel like you need to take a break from the extreme edges of the German internet for a while. Binge watch old 80s action movies and enjoy the cars instead. :lol:

Trust me, I am doing just that. It's hard, but I am doing that. ;)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

12,000 RPM

Quote from: cawimmer430 on September 15, 2019, 03:04:54 PM
Trust me, I am doing just that. It's hard, but I am doing that. ;)
Try harder man you are driving us crazy
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Laconian

I'm super sick of SUVs over here. The rise of the SUV has come at the direct expense of cars and the driving experience overall.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

giant_mtb

Quote from: cawimmer430 on September 15, 2019, 03:03:00 PM
SUVs are very popular here. But most of them are smaller FWD + Diesel types of SUVs. And the mega luxury SUVs sold here are mostly Diesel-powered, except for Bentley, Rolls-Royce, Lamborghini and some Porsche SUVs.

SUVs are hated by Greenies and some radical ecological weirdos. Then again they hate all kinds of cars.

I was being sarcastic. Because all you do is rant about this shit.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Laconian on September 15, 2019, 03:50:26 PM
I'm super sick of SUVs over here. The rise of the SUV has come at the direct expense of cars and the driving experience overall.
I think the big drivers of increasing public road suckiness are increased traffic/population in economic growth centers, smartphones, and deterioriating road conditions. I think part of why trucks/SUVs have become popular is because people want to isolate themselves further from the soul suck that is most people's daily commute.

Eye of the Tiger

People can't even drive. It makes you wonder if they can even do other simple things like wipe their own asses. They should just give up on life.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

cawimmer430

Someone Created A Tesla Model 3 Low-Rider Because Why Not?

The electric vehicle revolution is well underway, and the fierce competition between major car manufacturers has led to the creation of some stunning machines.

One of the automakers that kickstarted the trend, and still continues to play a key role in zero-emission vehicles, is Tesla.

Elon Musk's company has, despite the many setbacks it has faced, managed to attract lots of customers, especially after the launch of the Model 3, which is much more affordable than both the Model S and Model X.

Even with EVs, though, there'll always be some who'll want their ride to stand out from the rest – and to that end, they turn to tuning companies, who are more than happy to oblige.

The owner of this 2018 Model 3 contacted Ferrada and chose their FR7 alloy wheels. The 10×20- and 11×20-inch front and rear rims, with a silver finish, which is also available in other sizes and shades, can completely fill the wheel arches at the push of a button, as the adjustable air suspension brings the whole ride just a few millimeters away from the tarmac.

It's highly subjective whether the low-rider stance does not do justice to Tesla's entry-level electric sedan, but it's still nice to see a personalized EV every now and then. And see it you will, as the wheelmaker has released not just a bunch of few images, but also a video that puts an emphasis on the modifications.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2019/09/leaf-scraping-tesla-model-3-needs-to-keep-em-wheels-clean/

www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbrsZ0ySmn0

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Galaxy

So I wonder how Wimmer took the news that Mercedes is suspending ICE development?  :mask:

Laconian

Quote from: Galaxy on September 17, 2019, 04:21:22 PM
So I wonder how Wimmer took the news that Mercedes is suspending ICE development?  :mask:
What news?

Galaxy

Quote from: Laconian on September 17, 2019, 04:26:29 PM
What news?

I only have a German Link

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/tech-zukunft/daimler-stoppt-verbrennungsmotoren-entwicklung-2019/

The headline is "Daimler stops internal combustion engine development, full concentration on electric drive."

They quote Daimler Head of R&D Markus Schäfer. Apparently the current generation of I4, I6 engines will be the last ones. However, they do say that if circumstances change, they might reverse that.

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

shp4man

I have another EV that the rats ate wiring on.  :facepalm: :muffin:

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Galaxy on September 17, 2019, 04:35:27 PM
I only have a German Link

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/tech-zukunft/daimler-stoppt-verbrennungsmotoren-entwicklung-2019/

The headline is "Daimler stops internal combustion engine development, full concentration on electric drive."

They quote Daimler Head of R&D Markus Schäfer. Apparently the current generation of I4, I6 engines will be the last ones. However, they do say that if circumstances change, they might reverse that.
Circumstances will change  ;)

Too lazy to find link- it's on TCL- but apparently the 7 series is dropping the V8 and V12 for the I6 + a PHEV system. Going to be the first electrified ///M branded model. I don't mind

Laconian

High performance electric drivetrains really make high-end ICE lineups look castrated by comparison. Except for perhaps top speed, performance records are being annihilated by electric cars Not surprised to see luxury car companies are divesting their R&D dollars there.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Laconian on September 18, 2019, 12:03:27 PM
High performance electric drivetrains really make high-end ICE lineups look castrated by comparison. Except for perhaps top speed, performance records are being annihilated by electric cars Not surprised to see luxury car companies are divesting their R&D dollars there.

Not having a stupid transmission is amazing

Laconian

Quote from: CaminoRacer on September 18, 2019, 04:12:39 PM
Not having a stupid transmission is amazing

Also not losing 75% of your energy in the form of heat and sound.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Galaxy on September 17, 2019, 04:21:22 PM

Utterly heartbreaking - and risky. The race is literally still on between EVs, Fuel Cell and synthetic fuels for internal combustion engines. There might be some amazing advances in all three fields in the next decades, and the internal combustion engine still has some potential left according to some experts.

You know my opinion: E-Fuels are my preferred clean energy source for cars. That way we can use the existing infrastructure and continue to drive our ICE cars and listen to that wonderful engine sound.

Can you imagine how dull an EV G63 AMG will "sound" like? Part of the fun of driving those G63 AMGs is the way the engine sounds upon start-up and when you give it a little gas.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Galaxy, für dich...

"Die einzige Erfolg versprechende Alternative bestehe für Deutschland nur in der Produktion und im Import von klimaneutralen synthetischen Kraftstoffen, die durch Elektrolyse aus Wasserstoff hergestellt werden. Da diese ,,Power-to-Liquids"-Technologie allerdings noch nicht im industriellen Maßstab verfügbar ist, müsse sie mit weitreichenden Steuerbefreiungen und zudem wohl auch mit einer Beimischungsquote gefördert werden, glauben die IW-Autoren."

Link: https://www.welt.de/wirtschaft/article200517278/Klimaschutz-Warum-Schwedens-CO2-Steuer-kein-Vorbild-sein-kann.html

www.wimmerfotografie.de

CaminoRacer

Quote from: cawimmer430 on September 18, 2019, 07:06:06 PM
Utterly heartbreaking - and risky. The race is literally still on between EVs, Fuel Cell and synthetic fuels for internal combustion engines. There might be some amazing advances in all three fields in the next decades, and the internal combustion engine still has some potential left according to some experts.

You know my opinion: E-Fuels are my preferred clean energy source for cars. That way we can use the existing infrastructure and continue to drive our ICE cars and listen to that wonderful engine sound.

Can you imagine how dull an EV G63 AMG will "sound" like? Part of the fun of driving those G63 AMGs is the way the engine sounds upon start-up and when you give it a little gas.

Have you driven a Tesla or anything?

cawimmer430

Quote from: CaminoRacer on September 18, 2019, 07:22:14 PM
Have you driven a Tesla or anything?

I've driven a Hyundai Kona EV and Hyundai Nexo (Fuel Cell) as well as "driven" a Tesla Model 3 and Tesla Model 3 Performance. I've ridden in a Tesla Model S and a Tesla Roadster.

The Teslas were all very quick but it feels so weird to have brutal acceleration without engine noise and torque build-up. I'm used to hearing engine noises, and I will miss that on EVs. Fake engine noises in EVs won't do it, I think, because we know it's not real.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

12,000 RPM

Quote from: cawimmer430 on September 19, 2019, 02:07:04 AM
Fake engine noises in EVs won't do it, I think, because we know it's not real.
A lot of sim racing games have great fake engine noise.

shp4man

I think I've figured out how to supplement my meager retirement income. Being in the car biz, you see that most people are clueless and sometimes brainless with regards to cars.
So I'm thinking building a truck with a large generator in the back capable of fast charging EVs that ran out of juice in the middle of nowhere.
There will be many.
I'll be cheaper than a 50 mile tow.   :lol:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 19, 2019, 08:10:58 AM
A lot of sim racing games have great fake engine noise.

That's not helping.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Quote from: cawimmer430 on September 19, 2019, 02:07:04 AM
I've driven a Hyundai Kona EV and Hyundai Nexo (Fuel Cell) as well as "driven" a Tesla Model 3 and Tesla Model 3 Performance. I've ridden in a Tesla Model S and a Tesla Roadster.

The Teslas were all very quick but it feels so weird to have brutal acceleration without engine noise and torque build-up. I'm used to hearing engine noises, and I will miss that on EVs. Fake engine noises in EVs won't do it, I think, because we know it's not real.

BMW and some others have been using various trickery to pipe in engine noise for some time, from goofy resonators attached to the firewall to others. Engine noise really isn't as "real" as we like to think on modern cars. Its very carefully contrived.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 19, 2019, 08:24:00 AM
BMW and some others have been using various trickery to pipe in engine noise for some time, from goofy resonators attached to the firewall to others. Engine noise really isn't as "real" as we like to think on modern cars. Its very carefully contrived.

Yeah, most modern cars are very quiet without piped in noise or a sport exhaust option. I don't think EVs are really that much different. Luxury cars used to take pride in being dead silent inside, anyway.

My Bolt makes decent electric whirring noises if the radio isn't loud.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: shp4man on September 19, 2019, 08:20:41 AM
I think I've figured out how to supplement my meager retirement income. Being in the car biz, you see that most people are clueless and sometimes brainless with regards to cars.
So I'm thinking building a truck with a large generator in the back capable of fast charging EVs that ran out of juice in the middle of nowhere.
There will be many.

Make sure you come up with a catchy brand-name, get in with AAA or other roadside services, $$$$ profit.
Then buy another truck, pay another worker, take a small chunk of his earnings and super $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ profit.
Will

giant_mtb

CaminoRacer

Quote from: shp4man on September 19, 2019, 08:20:41 AM
There will be many.

You'd probably have more luck in a different state than California. Lots of charging stations there. Wyoming, on the other hand...