EVs

Started by Morris Minor, November 08, 2018, 04:03:12 AM

GoCougs

Quote from: Laconian on December 03, 2019, 02:42:03 PM
Cargo ships run in international waters. You can glimpse what having no environmental regulations looks like: https://www.wired.com/story/container-ships-use-super-dirty-fuel-that-needs-to-change/

The question is, Why do WtP need so much cheap stuff to go quickly across the oceans?

r0tor

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 03, 2019, 05:17:05 PM
Do you not allow your kid to ride the school bus because it's abysmal for his health?

I would prefer a cleaner bus actually... EV  bus would make massive sense
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

r0tor

Quote from: GoCougs on December 03, 2019, 05:44:33 PM
The question is, Why do WtP need so much cheap stuff to go quickly across the oceans?
Because capitalism says if it's cheaper you must make it half way around the world  rather then the continent it is consumed
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

r0tor

Quote from: Laconian on December 03, 2019, 05:04:45 PM
Do tell...

Well it's a solid at room temp... Think thick ass grease.  Smells like crude oil or probably worse since it's just all the nasty shit in crude concentrated.  Your fucked if you get it on your skin and I always wore a mask.

To sample it you either needed a putty knife or heat it up to pour.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 03, 2019, 05:17:05 PM
Do you not allow your kid to ride the school bus because it's abysmal for his health?
Do you seriously not understand that some trucks are dirtier than others?

And is your metric of emissions dirtiness whether it not you can see soot?

CarSPIN has turned the bitchiness up to 11 today. What's going on?
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

shp4man

Chill out, buddy. It's just the internet.

Eye of the Tiger

The bottom line is that electric powertrains are better for our texting, brake stabbing, tailgating, retarded as fuck driving population. 99.9999999999992% of them have no clue how their vehicle works, and have no appreciation for the beauty of internal combustion and the art of driving. My gasoline is being wasted on dumbfucks.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

r0tor

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on December 03, 2019, 06:50:25 PM
The bottom line is that electric powertrains are better for our texting, brake stabbing, tailgating, retarded as fuck driving population. 99.9999999999992% of them have no clue how their vehicle works, and have no appreciation for the beauty of internal combustion and the art of driving. My gasoline is being wasted on dumbfucks.

I can agree with this

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Laconian on December 03, 2019, 12:53:12 PM
Lawl: https://www.vox.com/2018/7/8/17544380/scott-pruitt-epa-truck-pollution-glider-kit-loophole
There is a big market for truck manufacturers building modern cabs around shitty, dirty drivetrains.

Fun fact: my college roommate was in charge of the glider truck program at Kenworth. He doesn't feel great about it!

Most of the later pre-emissions diesels are well, they're OK emissions wise; they're not the coal rolling low compression oil burners of yesteryear at least, and that's what most of those get- Cat 3406s and series 60 Detroit Diesels.

Not saying its great; but its not as bad as it could be.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Quote from: r0tor on December 03, 2019, 06:28:24 PM
I would prefer a cleaner bus actually... EV  bus would make massive sense

EV school busses would make a ton of sense; limited operation hours, mostly dedicated parking spots. Those and postal Jeeps (or whatever they are now) are like tailor made for electrification.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 03, 2019, 08:34:34 PM
EV school busses would make a ton of sense; limited operation hours, mostly dedicated parking spots. Those and postal Jeeps (or whatever they are now) are like tailor made for electrification.

Grumman LLV. And they are nearing the end of their lifecycle and a next-gen vehicle is probably right around the corner.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grumman_LLV

CaminoRacer

The city parking police got Bolts this year. Good for them, but now Bolts are the enemy...
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

CaminoRacer

School buses also generally park under massive carports that are perfect for solar panels.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: CaminoRacer on December 03, 2019, 09:40:57 PM
School buses also generally park under massive carports that are perfect for solar panels.

Well, not around here; but they do have big roofs...

GoCougs

EV school buses would be a travesty. Literally ~50% of my exorbitant property taxes goes to the local school district. Around here it's a big status thing to drive your kids to school (yes, really) so the school buses I'm sure are underutilized anyway.

Laconian

Quote from: GoCougs on December 03, 2019, 10:24:39 PM
Around here it's a big status thing to drive your kids to school (yes, really)

That shit drives me nuts!!! Range Rovers gumming up the roads like clockwork every weekday at 8:30AM and 3PM.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

GoCougs

Quote from: Laconian on December 03, 2019, 10:28:29 PM
That shit drives me nuts!!! Range Rovers gumming up the roads like clockwork every weekday at 8:30AM and 3PM.

It's insane, and it's everywhere.

giant_mtb

Same thing here.  And you know what would make it less of a shitshow and move cars along quicker? If the damn kids would get out of the car as soon as they hit the parking lot line and not waiting until they're right by the fucking door.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 04, 2019, 04:19:51 AM
Same thing here.  And you know what would make it less of a shitshow and move cars along quicker? If the damn kids would get out of the car as soon as they hit the parking lot line and not waiting until they're right by the fucking door.

As a father, I have to say

1: It takes a surprisingly long time to het kids to understand how to use a fucking door properly, and getting in and out of a car seems like teaching the fuckers calculus. (No, buddy, take your goddamned seatbelt off first)

2: Schools are safety nazi fucktwits, and designate like a 40 foot area in which to drop off your crotch goblins.

3: Parents of most of these little fuckers are absolute dingleberries that can't drive, don't pay attention and have only the vaguest idea of what right-of-way is.

Soup DeVille

EV school buses would be a travesty. Literally ~50% of my exorbitant property taxes goes to the local school district. Around here it's a big status thing to drive your kids to school (yes, really) so the school buses I'm sure are underutilized anyway.

But EV busses could get federal rebates, so they can misuse both your local And your federal taxes!

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 03, 2019, 08:58:25 PM
Grumman LLV. And they are nearing the end of their lifecycle and a next-gen vehicle is probably right around the corner.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grumman_LLV

No matter what they actually are, they'll always be postal jeeps.

r0tor

Yea, giving the kids a head start on lung cancer is clearly the cost effective solution

r0tor

A kid locally did just that a few years ago and was killed when a bus ran over them in the school parking lot.  There is a reason for some rules...

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: r0tor on December 04, 2019, 05:37:32 AM
Yea, giving the kids a head start on lung cancer is clearly the cost effective solution

Have you seen the new Camel cigarettes with the "Blank Canvas" color-your-own-pack? Not only does it get kids excited for coloring at the same time as cigarettes, but Camel saves on ink.

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

veeman

Quote from: Laconian on December 03, 2019, 10:28:29 PM

In the neighborhoods where a lot of rugrats are dropped off to school in Range Rovers, it makes perfect sense to do so.  These kids are either dropped off by a nanny, a homemaker housewife, or a parent on their way to their work. 

a) if you employ a nanny who drives that's generally $18-20/hour you're paying her.  She needs to work full time because she otherwise won't take the job.  So as a parent, would you rather have her sitting in your empty house drinking your coffee or getting your money's worth and have her do something like drop off your kids to school.

b) as a parent it's a time to interact and ask them about their lives.  They are trapped and can't run away in a car.

c) the bus takes an otherwise 10 minute to drive to school, a 30 minute process.  The bus is often late.  As a parent you have to wait outside with your kids for the bus to come, or worse for the environment, idling in your car.

d) the social atmosphere of a bus for your child can be good or bad.  Depends on the child and the occupants of the bus. 

e) your child and therefore you can wake up about 20 minutes later in the morning if your child is dropped off to school instead of taking the bus.  I dropped off my kids this morning to school.  I left 20 minutes before school starts.  For the bus, I would have to stand outside with my kids 45 minutes before school starts waiting for the bus. 

veeman

Quote from: r0tor on December 04, 2019, 05:39:30 AM
A kid locally did just that a few years ago and was killed when a bus ran over them in the school parking lot.  There is a reason for some rules...

This.  A parking lot, particularly a busy school parking lot with buses and distracted drivers, is a dangerous area for any preadolescent or younger child.  They are short and often not seen by cars/buses.  Because they are kids they don't have the wherewithal to know the dangers of their surroundings and will obliviously run across a parking lot.  You need to have a dedicated short drop off area with a wide margin of safety.  Because a child is taking a while to get out of the car, you still cannot pass that car in a school drop off lane.  The child may unexpectedly bolt out of the driver's side rear passenger door and get hit by the passing car.   

CaminoRacer

Quote from: veeman on December 04, 2019, 08:11:51 AM
This.  A parking lot, particularly a busy school parking lot with buses and distracted drivers, is a dangerous area for any preadolescent or younger child.  They are short and often not seen by cars/buses.  Because they are kids they don't have the wherewithal to know the dangers of their surroundings and will obliviously run across a parking lot.  You need to have a dedicated short drop off area with a wide margin of safety.  Because a child is taking a while to get out of the car, you still cannot pass that car in a school drop off lane.  The child may unexpectedly bolt out of the driver's side rear passenger door and get hit by the passing car.   

They're like deer, but even dumber

GoCougs

On my drive, I only see ze parents on surface streets ruining it for everyone. I get to save the indignity of the drop off/pick line for out my front door, as I live right near a small private school. Not a problem now since grade school start/stop times are outside commute times, but when I worked for myself, I had to face it; I miss the good ole days of judicious usage of road rage (not really, but lots of horn, lights and revving engine - loved it).

My parents live near a large public grade school, and the school district/county/state or the like has a rule of some sort that qualifies some kids for a taxi (literally). It's all insane and we should all be ashamed that we've let K-12 educational system decline in such a fashion, to the point that dropping off kids is some sort of fashion statement and means of validation. Jesus.

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

veeman

Quote from: GoCougs on December 04, 2019, 09:09:26 AM
On my drive, I only see ze parents on surface streets ruining it for everyone. I get to save the indignity of the drop off/pick line for out my front door, as I live right near a small private school. Not a problem now since grade school start/stop times are outside commute times, but when I worked for myself, I had to face it; I miss the good ole days of judicious usage of road rage (not really, but lots of horn, lights and revving engine - loved it).

My parents live near a large public grade school, and the school district/county/state or the like has a rule of some sort that qualifies some kids for a taxi (literally). It's all insane and we should all be ashamed that we've let K-12 educational system decline in such a fashion, to the point that dropping off kids is some sort of fashion statement and means of validation. Jesus.

Driving a Range Rover in and of itself is a fashion statement/means of validation as are virtually all luxury car/suv purchases to a great extent.  Whether it is used to drop off the rugrats to school, driving to the golf range, going out to dinner, going to work, etc etc etc.  Why you choose to single out the activity of dropping off the kids to school amongst the myriad of other activities  is peculiar but understandable given your life experience. I suppose one could make the purposeful choice to drop off the rugrats in the beater car as opposed to the Range Rover sitting in the garage but that in and of itself is equally making a statement of false humility (i.e. the CEO who shows up to work in a Camcord even though he has a Mercedes AMG S class at home to take his trophy wife out to town with).