EVs

Started by Morris Minor, November 08, 2018, 04:03:12 AM

shp4man

The prop makes a pretty loud noise all by itself. Big electric fans are an example.
The Beaver is a Canadian plane. Interesting they chose that to convert to electric. What's next, a P-40?   :lol:

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 01, 2019, 09:44:32 AM
Twenty Thousand Hertz is an awesome podcast about sound. You don't have to be an audio nerd to find it interesting.

But anyway, they had an episode recently all about car sounds. They talked to a guy who is a veteran of recording sounds for racing games and such. Really interesting. And to get cleaner tire sounds, he used a Tesla because, well, there's no ICE noise to deal with in the recording.

So, an electric airplane should reveal some really cool sounds of flight with the absence of the ICE.

I can't even hear 20K hertz. Above 16K is nothing.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

giant_mtb

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on December 01, 2019, 10:50:17 AM
I can't even hear 20K hertz. Above 16K is nothing.

Not abnormal. Most people can't. 
We lose the really high frequency hearing pretty quickly as we grow up.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 01, 2019, 04:51:43 PM
Not abnormal. Most people can't. 
We lose the really high frequency hearing pretty quickly as we grow up.
Makes that era of audio that obsessed over fidelity and high frequencies that bit sillier lol.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

giant_mtb

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 02, 2019, 05:08:32 AM
Makes that era of audio that obsessed over fidelity and high frequencies that bit sillier lol.

This is true. But just because you don't consciously hear/perceive it doesn't mean it doesn't affect you. You can get hearing loss from an intense ultrasound that you can't even hear all the same.

Galaxy

GoCougs

Quote from: shp4man on December 01, 2019, 10:41:23 AM
The prop makes a pretty loud noise all by itself. Big electric fans are an example.
The Beaver is a Canadian plane. Interesting they chose that to convert to electric. What's next, a P-40?   :lol:

Or a helicopter - the sounds is from the main rotor, not the (relatively quiet) turbine power plant.

FoMoJo

Quote from: shp4man on December 01, 2019, 10:41:23 AM
Seems ideal.  A very utilitarian plane along with the Otter.  Canadian company as well.

As for noise, I guess it would depend on prop speed and whether the tips are travelling beyond the speed of sound, or some such thing.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Galaxy on December 02, 2019, 01:51:36 PM
This is a logical stance to have.

http://youtu.be/hzDzv4NVlfE?t=50

That's basically why I bought my Bolt. It's new and interesting and quick, vs buying a Civic and blending in with all the other plebs.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Morris Minor

Quote from: CaminoRacer on December 02, 2019, 09:03:01 PM
That's basically why I bought my Bolt. It's new and interesting and quick, vs buying a Civic and blending in with all the other plebs.
Having visited Ho Chi Minh City, where the air is barely breathable, I'm all in favor of eliminating tailpipe emissions. That was a real eye-opener.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

FoMoJo

Quote from: Morris Minor on December 03, 2019, 08:00:37 AM
Having visited Ho Chi Minh City, where the air is barely breathable, I'm all in favor of eliminating tailpipe emissions. That was a real eye-opener.
Yet, they are not the worst.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Morris Minor on December 03, 2019, 08:00:37 AM

I'm all in favor of banning diesel pickups for that reason. My nose and lungs shouldn't have to be assaulted every time I'm behind a pickup.

(Or just enforce emissions laws and impound trucks that roll coal)

Submariner

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 01, 2019, 08:44:34 AM
Well, with the absence of the drone of an ICE, I'm more interested to see what other sounds come out besides the obvious noise of the motor itself.

Stress cracks in the fuselage.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

MrH

Quote from: CaminoRacer on December 03, 2019, 09:52:31 AM
I'm all in favor of banning diesel pickups for that reason. My nose and lungs shouldn't have to be assaulted every time I'm behind a pickup.

(Or just enforce emissions laws and impound trucks that roll coal)

Yeah, I don't understand.  There are diesel pick up trucks and semis that are belching out enough particulates that the trail is visible for like a quarter mile, and nobody seems concerned about that.

This seems like no brain legislation that would be supported by both sides...?  I'm probably the most anti-legislation person out there, but this seems really basic.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

CaminoRacer

GoCougs

Quote from: MrH on December 03, 2019, 11:30:29 AM
Yeah, I don't understand.  There are diesel pick up trucks and semis that are belching out enough particulates that the trail is visible for like a quarter mile, and nobody seems concerned about that.

This seems like no brain legislation that would be supported by both sides...?  I'm probably the most anti-legislation person out there, but this seems really basic.

Reason #23 why modern environmentalism is mostly :facepalm:.

Diesel emissions is one of the worst pollutants on the planet but that's not nearly as exciting as (dead-end tech of) windmills, EVs, solar panels, etc.

giant_mtb

Try pulling a 65,000 pound trailer with your car without emitting more particulates than normal.

Laconian

Quote from: MrH on December 03, 2019, 11:30:29 AM

Lawl: https://www.vox.com/2018/7/8/17544380/scott-pruitt-epa-truck-pollution-glider-kit-loophole
There is a big market for truck manufacturers building modern cabs around shitty, dirty drivetrains.

Fun fact: my college roommate was in charge of the glider truck program at Kenworth. He doesn't feel great about it!
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

12,000 RPM

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 03, 2019, 11:56:03 AM
Try pulling a 65,000 pound trailer with your car without emitting more particulates than normal.

Don't see why a diesel car's emissions can't be scaled up. I'd say slightly more expensive shipping is worth being able to breathe but maybe that's too extreme
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

giant_mtb

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 03, 2019, 01:21:21 PM
Don't see why a diesel car's emissions can't be scaled up. I'd say slightly more expensive shipping is worth being able to breathe but maybe that's too extreme

I see dozens of HD vehicles every day. Logging trucks, mine trucks, plow trucks, front end loaders, and of course everyday transport trucks like gasoline tankers and Walmart trailers.

Never once have I been like omg I can't breathe plz halp. Y'all are exaggerating a bit, IMO. Do trucks produce pollution? Yup, just like all vehicles. Do they produce more pollution? Yup, they are large and heavy and are tasked with hauling 70% of our bullshit around.

Eye of the Tiger

Words are so much more true in .jpg format.

r0tor

I (use to) get irrate on an almost daily basis having to put the recirc on to avoid smelling diesel exhaust (giulia does that for me now).  There should be no excuse in this day and age for emissions so bad it leaves behind a fog bank.

PM10 and below sized particulate matter is absolutely abismal for your health.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

GoCougs

Regulation isn't the answer; as we've seen that will only make things worse (such as the untold billion$ wasted on "green" energy which is capital diverted from vastly more pressing issues, such as dirty diesels). The question is, Why are there so many goddamned trucks on the roads?

At least in my area, a TON of truck traffic is from construction, esp. dump trucks, which at least to the human eye, seem 100x dirtier than commercial tractor trailers. IME it's a major problem, esp. one rides bikes on the road. And of course the root cause there is artificially low interest rates and the resulting "boom" (of debt) driving artificial growth in housing (too many houses that are simply much too big).

Wash/rinse/repeat for booms of debt and subsequent artificial expansion, from the ridiculousness of Amazon and me needing my new underpants in a day delivered special right to my house, to the laughably cheap airline flights propped up by ersatz SOEs that are the US airlines and and Boeing, to the farm subsidies propping up corn and the beef industry.

Environmentalists should first and foremost be AGAINST government regulation in all its forms.

Laconian

Cargo ships run in international waters. You can glimpse what having no environmental regulations looks like: https://www.wired.com/story/container-ships-use-super-dirty-fuel-that-needs-to-change/

shp4man

Fun facts I've learned in the EV/hybrid training so far...
The hybrid "transmission" is comprised of a generator, a traction motor and a planetary gear set. It's kind of simple.
The generator is also the starter for the gas motor.
There is a shitload of electronic control modules that make these vehicles work.
Never run down the traction (300+ volt) battery on a modern hybrid. It's REALLY expensive to get it recharged, because the generator (starter) will never get enough power to start the gas motor.
They have plans for a hybrid full sized van and an Explorer.
No official word from Ford on naming an EV SUV a Mustang, though.

r0tor

Quote from: Laconian on December 03, 2019, 02:42:03 PM
Cargo ships run in international waters. You can glimpse what having no environmental regulations looks like: https://www.wired.com/story/container-ships-use-super-dirty-fuel-that-needs-to-change/

yea... no regulation is ever the solution to anything.

I use to help analyze the cargo ship bunker fuel.  Holy fuck that shit is nasty
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

r0tor

Quote from: shp4man on December 03, 2019, 04:49:57 PM
Fun facts I've learned in the EV/hybrid training so far...
The hybrid "transmission" is comprised of a generator, a traction motor and a planetary gear set. It's kind of simple.
The generator is also the starter for the gas motor.
There is a shitload of electronic control modules that make these vehicles work.
Never run down the traction (300+ volt) battery on a modern hybrid. It's REALLY expensive to get it recharged, because the generator (starter) will never get enough power to start the gas motor.
They have plans for a hybrid full sized van and an Explorer.
No official word from Ford on naming an EV SUV a Mustang, though.

and in a Ford the least reliable part of the entire drivetrain is the transmission  :facepalm:

Laconian

Quote from: r0tor on December 03, 2019, 04:51:35 PM
I use to help analyze the cargo ship bunker fuel.  Holy fuck that shit is nasty

Do tell...

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: r0tor on December 03, 2019, 04:52:52 PM
and in a Ford the least reliable part of the entire drivetrain is the transmission  :facepalm:

The hybrid transmission is nothing like other transmissions. It is incredibly simple, mechanically.

giant_mtb

Quote from: r0tor on December 03, 2019, 02:07:13 PM
I (use to) get irrate on an almost daily basis having to put the recirc on to avoid smelling diesel exhaust (giulia does that for me now).  There should be no excuse in this day and age for emissions so bad it leaves behind a fog bank.

PM10 and below sized particulate matter is absolutely abismal for your health.

Do you not allow your kid to ride the school bus because it's abysmal for his health?