EVs

Started by Morris Minor, November 08, 2018, 04:03:12 AM

afty

Quote from: Raza  on October 15, 2020, 12:43:39 PM
It's charge time. And it's time you have to worry about whether the engine will fully charge or whether someone might unplug the car as a nasty little prank. And it still only charged to 80%.
My Model 3 (and most EVs, to my knowledge) lock the charge port while charging.  So someone cannot unplug the car as a prank.

We can just disagree on this.  I count the time I spent sleeping as sleeping.

AutobahnSHO

If they were cheaper I'd totally rock an EV now. I'd keep Odyssey for long trips and Miata for fun.

My commute is 20 miles, about half hour, lots of it at 65-70mph. I have a garage. So I'm the optimal EV commuter, but I'm also a cheapskate and Impreza still has some life (101k miles, replaced engine (& t-belt stuff) 25k miles ago so knock on wood no major maintenance for awhile...)
Will

Raza

Quote from: Laconian on October 15, 2020, 01:38:34 PM
Don't you smoke, Raza? You can smoke while you charge, don't have to worry about igniting gasoline.

I usually don't worry about igniting gasoline, though.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: afty on October 15, 2020, 03:33:53 PM
My Model 3 (and most EVs, to my knowledge) lock the charge port while charging.  So someone cannot unplug the car as a prank.

We can just disagree on this.  I count the time I spent sleeping as sleeping.

Hmm, I didn't know that.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

CaminoRacer

My car also has an alarm for the charger that comes with the car.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Galaxy

Who ever designed the manual release for the rear doors on the Tesla Model Y needs a slap across his fucking face.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIph6uLO-aM

And Holy Hell that is one misaligned panel at 8:37.

Morris Minor

Quote from: Laconian on October 15, 2020, 12:58:29 PM
You visit gas stations at random times throughout the year. afty just goes home.
Exactly. Range anxiety is anxiety about edge cases.
On the disappearingly-rare occasions that you're on a long haul trip, and waiting 15 min at a charge station, use the time to contemplate the 99.984% of recharging events that happen in your garage.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Galaxy on October 15, 2020, 07:56:43 PM
Who ever designed the manual release for the rear doors on the Tesla Model Y needs a slap across his fucking face.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIph6uLO-aM

And Holy Hell that is one misaligned panel at 8:37.

There continue to be serious design and manufacturing issues with Teslas.

None of that matters. They have a cult
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

CaminoRacer

Tesla does a great job with their drivetrain/batteries, needs to catch up with the manufacturing QC & design. The established automakers do the opposite. I cheer for both in hopes that someday we'll have both in 1 package.

r0tor

I think it's safe to say that enough infrastructure exists that you can use an ev as an only car, even for road trips, but it definitely changes the way you do a road trip.

I recently did a ~450 mile round trip a couple weeks ago across the state to view the milky way and back in the Giulia.  I was able to do that without an issue on a single tank filling up when we left.  Going out we stopped for food 3/4 of the way out so theoretically I could have charged up.

Coming home though it was like 3am when we got back with driving straight through.  An EV only would have made this an overnight at a hotel trip... which actually might have made the entire trip nicer to be honest but definitely would have changed our trip planning.

It is weird thinking about how an EV would dramatically change some trips and really extend travel time - but then again it could actually force us to stop doing 10hr road trips that just make you feel like shit into a more enjoyable 2 day event (assuming you have the time).  So there is a trade off there that is forced by an EV where it's optional in an ICE.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

cawimmer430

Saw this today...

Volkswagen ID.3 1st from Austria getting charged with overpriced German electricity...

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

cawimmer430

Quote from: Laconian on October 16, 2020, 10:34:38 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXEddCLW3SM

The family solution had me rolling.

Hilarious.

The irony is that there are retards in this country that literally want us all to die so that the planet can survive. :lol:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

Galaxy

I will pack this in the electric vehicle thread.

A team from China has demonstrated an electrical powered aircraft engine concept, that uses microwaves to ionize air, and then ignites the plasma. They are claiming that they are reaching 10N of thrust at 400W. That is pretty impressive and could show a path to electric aircraft or even rockets. This is a lab bench experiment so the question remains how it scales, but it is none the less intriguing and one of the most positive developments in this field in quite some time.

https://aip.scitation.org/doi/10.1063/5.0005814

Laconian

Ignites the plasma? I didn't even know that was something you could do. I thought that plasma would be... uhh, already ignited.

Galaxy

Quote from: Laconian on October 18, 2020, 12:14:49 PM
Ignites the plasma? I didn't even know that was something you could do. I thought that plasma would be... uhh, already ignited.

Any atom that gets stripped  of it's electrons is an ionized gas, or plasma. An example is the neon tube. You first have to create the plasma and then you ignite it, which is why neon tubes have a delay in turning on.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: cawimmer430 on October 17, 2020, 07:05:09 AM

I wish they sold that in the US. I'd be at the dealer tomorrow buying one

cawimmer430

Quote from: SJ_GTI on October 18, 2020, 05:29:41 PM

Relax, you're getting a massive EV SUV, the ID.4! :lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

MrH

Quote from: SJ_GTI on October 18, 2020, 05:29:41 PM

The ID.4 is basically the same thing, just a hair taller I think?
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

SJ_GTI

Quote from: MrH on October 19, 2020, 12:02:29 PM
The ID.4 is basically the same thing, just a hair taller I think?

Doesn't look AS good, but yes same bones. I could see myself in an ID4 once the AWD version is out in 2022. I could foresee it coming down to either making the plunge into EV's at that point or chickening out and going with a new WRX.

Laconian

We could go EV pretty easily, but I love the Outback's size. Longwagen is long.

MrH

Not going to lie...the only EV I'm actually really excited for is a rebirth of the VW bus.  Give me all that interior space from the EV platform in the form of a van
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Laconian

Quote from: MrH on October 19, 2020, 01:15:33 PM
Not going to lie...the only EV I'm actually really excited for is a rebirth of the VW bus.  Give me all that interior space from the EV platform in the form of a van

You mean the design which used your legs as a crumple zone?

CaminoRacer

Quote from: MrH on October 19, 2020, 01:15:33 PM

+1

Quote from: Laconian on October 19, 2020, 02:37:04 PM
You mean the design which used your legs as a crumple zone?

As if my El Camino is much better :lol:

cawimmer430

The only EV I like (from a visual perspective) is the Audi e-Tron GT Concept.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Morris Minor

I really dislike that carmakers have to accommodate ugly & wasteful front registration plates.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Morris Minor on October 20, 2020, 05:49:00 AM
I really dislike that carmakers have to accommodate ugly & wasteful front registration plates.

Not here in SC!  :dance:  :dance:

Just registered the Subaru (NY registration expired this month) just two more to go (VA).
Will

Morris Minor

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on October 20, 2020, 05:51:50 AM
Not here in SC!  :dance: :dance:

Just registered the Subaru (NY registration expired this month) just two more to go (VA).
Nor in GA. We too keep our cops fit and trim by forcing them to jog all the way to the rear of vehicles to get their registration.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Morris Minor on October 20, 2020, 08:07:22 AM
Nor in GA. We too keep our cops fit and trim by forcing them to jog all the way to the rear of vehicles to get their registration.

I think it's mainly the south that doesn't require front plates. And Arizona maybe?

I supported a legislative effort here in Utah to get rid of front plates but it didn't pass. I just think it's wasteful to crank out twice as many plates. And the benefits are practically non-existent IMO.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: CaminoRacer on October 20, 2020, 09:17:33 AM
I think it's mainly the south that doesn't require front plates. And Arizona maybe?

I supported a legislative effort here in Utah to get rid of front plates but it didn't pass. I just think it's wasteful to crank out twice as many plates. And the benefits are practically non-existent IMO.

PA doesn't require them as well.

They are required in NJ by law but it isn't really enforced. The dealer that delivered my Golf R to me here in NJ (Princeton VW) asked me if I wanted a front plate and I said no, so they left it off. Cops don't really care if you have a front plate, but if they stop you for something else they could ticket you for it.