Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Laconian

Minimalist interior, seems inspired by the Model 3 but with better ergonomics

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Rockraven on November 28, 2018, 10:51:45 AM
:wtf:
I have driven the current Civic and 3 and I stand by this. 3 is nice to look at but the Civic is just as nice to drive with the 2.0 and way better with the turbo
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MX793

Quote from: Laconian on November 28, 2018, 11:33:03 PM

But Alfa had the good sense to put a crease in the sheet metal at the base of the C pillar to visually break up the sheetmetal and cleanly demarcate where the fender stops and C pillar (and green house) begins.  Mazda didn't, and it looks really awkward for it.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Payman

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 29, 2018, 05:06:32 AM
I have driven the current Civic and 3 and I stand by this. 3 is nice to look at but the Civic is just as nice to drive with the 2.0 and way better with the turbo

But we're talking about the new not released yet 3, not the old one.

Payman

Quote from: MX793 on November 29, 2018, 05:10:23 AM
But Alfa had the good sense to put a crease in the sheet metal at the base of the C pillar to visually break up the sheetmetal and cleanly demarcate where the fender stops and C pillar (and green house) begins.  Mazda didn't, and it looks really awkward for it.

I think that's missing the point. It looks like their design intent is a continuous flow where the C pillar visually disappears into the rear quarters, and I think it works.

Payman

Goddamn the Brera.  :wub: What years were they produced? I oughta import one under our 15 year rule. 2004's are eligible now.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Rockraven on November 29, 2018, 05:14:52 AM
But we're talking about the new not released yet 3, not the old one.
Same engines, worse suspension. We'll see what happens I guess.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MX793

Quote from: Rockraven on November 29, 2018, 05:17:42 AM
I think that's missing the point. It looks like their design intent is a continuous flow where the C pillar visually disappears into the rear quarters, and I think it works.

The Mazda looks unfinished.  Like a CG model that has been de-featured due to lack of computing resources.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: MX793 on November 29, 2018, 06:29:26 AM
The Mazda looks unfinished.  Like a CG model that has been de-featured due to lack of computing resources.

Or is it just ultra streamlined and efficiently assembled?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Payman

Quote from: MX793 on November 29, 2018, 06:29:26 AM

Maybe we're all used to the overdone cars from other manufacturers, making the 3 stick out as odd to some. Just a thought... it's all subjective and personal taste anyways.

BimmerM3

Quote from: MX793 on November 29, 2018, 05:10:23 AM

+1

They should have made the little spoiler above the rear windshield body colored too. It'd give the rear of the car more shape instead of just a giant blob.

MX793

Quote from: Rockraven on November 29, 2018, 07:40:19 AM
Maybe we're all used to the overdone cars from other manufacturers, making the 3 stick out as odd to some. Just a thought... it's all subjective and personal taste anyways.

I wouldn't call the Brera overdone at all.  A subtle crease in the sheetmetal would make a huge difference between a car with clearly defined lines and one suffering from blobby bar of soap syndrome.  That C pillar doesn't even jive with the rest of the design.  There are clear character lines Incorporated in the front of the car that travel back to about the rear door handle, then just vanish into a huge slab of poorly defined sheetmetal.
Needs more Jiggawatts

93JC

It just looks weird without a more defined 'shoulder' at the rear quarter...

WookieOnRitalin

How the hell are you supposed to see out of that thing? The visibility must be terrible.
1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo

93JC

Something else I'm kind of irrationally upset with:

That is NOT the Mazda script, god dammit!

Laconian

68_427

Quote from: WookieOnRitalin on November 29, 2018, 09:43:07 PM
How the hell are you supposed to see out of that thing? The visibility must be terrible.

You don't.  You signal, call your insurance agent, and brace for impact.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

giant_mtb

Quote from: WookieOnRitalin on November 29, 2018, 09:43:07 PM

It's a small car. I bet IRL that C-pillar is hardly a blind spot.

Onslaught

Not a fan of the hatch. It's got an ugly butt. The sedan looks OK for a car in this class. I had told my girlfriend to hold off getting a Mazda6 or CX-5 until we saw the new 3. Now I'm going to tell her to get one of those over this.
bah weep granah weep nini bon

Payman

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 30, 2018, 01:20:36 PM
It's a small car. I bet IRL that C-pillar is hardly a blind spot.

Well, reports from the LA Autoshow say it's pretty bad. Definitely form over function, but whatever. I still love it and I'd love it even more if it had just 2 doors.

Payman

Quote from: 93JC on November 29, 2018, 09:38:50 PM

It just looks weird without a more defined 'shoulder' at the rear quarter...

The roll down part of the rear side glass is almost identical. The gripes would be about the rear fixed quarter windows, and the previous car had a black plastic fillet that covered the back part of it.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Rockraven on November 30, 2018, 01:37:41 PM
Well, reports from the LA Autoshow say it's pretty bad. Definitely form over function, but whatever. I still love it and I'd love it even more if it had just 2 doors.

An autshow is hardly real world. I can climb into almost any new car sitting on the showroom floor and cringe at the apparent blind spot.

I'm not doubting it, just saying it's probably not terrible in real life driving.

Payman

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 30, 2018, 01:41:05 PM
An autshow is hardly real world. I can climb into almost any new car sitting on the showroom floor and cringe at the apparent blind spot.

I'm not doubting it, just saying it's probably not terrible in real life driving.

I'm sure it's perfectly fine for driver and passenger. Fuck 'em in the back anyways.

Onslaught

I'm sure it has warning lights and sounds and heads up shit so you don't even have to look anymore. My Mazda6 would be a drunk drivers dream. Damn car tells me things I don't even want to know.

MrH

Honestly, how many of you are doing over the shoulder checks anymore?

In the 4Runner - every time
S2000 - everytime, but the top is always down so I can see everything
Accord - never.  Blind spot monitoring is great.  Once you get used to the lights, you just trust those more than a quick head check.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

giant_mtb

Quote from: MrH on November 30, 2018, 01:47:56 PM
Honestly, how many of you are doing over the shoulder checks anymore?

In the 4Runner - every time
S2000 - everytime, but the top is always down so I can see everything
Accord - never.  Blind spot monitoring is great.  Once you get used to the lights, you just trust those more than a quick head check.

I always do. Taco has excellent visibility with its short cab.

But I do appreciate the blind spot monitors on cars when I do drive a customer's vehicle that has them. They're neat and quite accurate/useful.  Still physically check by habit, though.

Payman

Anyways, it's the B pillar that creates blindspots, not the C. Partly why I prefer the longer doors of a coupe.

Onslaught

Shit I'd love for them to make an MX-3 or MX-6 out of the 6 and 3. It won't happen however.

I saw an MX-3 GS today, first one in years. Made me miss my old car.

Payman

Quote from: Onslaught on November 30, 2018, 01:52:51 PM
Shit I'd love for them to make an MX-3 or MX-6 out of the 6 and 3. It won't happen however.

I saw an MX-3 GS today, first one in years. Made me miss my old car.

The loss of coupes and manuals makes me sad. This new 3 makes me a little happier, with coupish looks and a manual.