All-New 2019 Mazda3 Looks Sleek Inside And Out In Best Photos Yet

Started by cawimmer430, November 13, 2018, 05:16:48 PM

2o6

I think the lens is making it look narrower and longer than it actually is.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

BimmerM3

That C "pillar" (more like C wall) is absolutely horrible, at least from that first angle. The front and back halves look like completely different vehicles.

93JC

Yeah, not feelin' the hatch. The "visual heft" at the back is just... too much. Sedan looks nice though.

Interior is... :/  I don't know, there's just something weird about the way the big piece that goes across the middle meets the other parts of the dash. I think it's the way it slopes up to meet the binnacle over the gauges, and how it seemingly cuts off the bottom of the 'infotainment' screen.

giant_mtb

Payman

CaminoRacer

I like it a lot. Very clean design - so much better than the crap that Civics have going on.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

giant_mtb

Quote from: CaminoRacer on November 28, 2018, 08:28:17 AM
I like it a lot. Very clean design - so much better than the crap that Civics have going on.

But fake vents and too many creases and crazy bullshit look so much better!

12,000 RPM

Nobody on Google Earth thinks the 10th gen Civic is a good looking car. But IMO the only thing the 3 has on the Civic is looks. The Civic is the better car.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Galaxy

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 28, 2018, 10:37:19 AM
But IMO the only thing the 3 has on the Civic is looks. The Civic is the better car.

It is not even out yet.  :huh:

giant_mtb

Quote from: Galaxy on November 28, 2018, 10:39:31 AM
It is not even out yet.  :huh:

Doesn't matter.  If it doesn't have IRS it simply cannot be comparable.

Xer0

Man, I'm not liking it  :mask:

It sounds like Mazda put all of its development money in the interior and the engine, figured the chassis was too good for the class anyway so dumbed it down, and added a ton of sheet-metal in the rear to make sure you feel extra claustrophobic.

Laconian

I love the outside, but yes, it's going to be claustrophobic inside. I think my mom made the right choice with her purchase of the 2018.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Payman

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 28, 2018, 10:37:19 AM
Nobody on Google Earth thinks the 10th gen Civic is a good looking car. But IMO the only thing the 3 has on the Civic is looks. The Civic is the better car.

:wtf:

Xer0

Quote from: Laconian on November 28, 2018, 10:49:54 AM
I love the outside, but yes, it's going to be claustrophobic inside. I think my mom made the right choice with her purchase of the 2018.

For the first time, I actually think the 3 sedan looks better than the hatch.

BimmerM3

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 28, 2018, 09:04:06 AM
But fake vents and too many creases and crazy bullshit look so much better!

At least the general proportions are reasonable though. I'd rather have a few weird angles than a C pillar I could play tennis on.

93JC

Galaxy

Is it news that the Skyactiv-X is launching "at a later date", or was that always the plan?

Laconian

Quote from: Galaxy on November 28, 2018, 02:41:07 PM
Is it news that the Skyactiv-X is launching "at a later date", or was that always the plan?

WHAT

Is Jacob back at Mazda?

Galaxy

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Laconian

I dunno. I think the hatch has a nice 90's Saab meets Alfa butt.

giant_mtb

Quote from: BimmerM3 on November 28, 2018, 11:09:20 AM
At least the general proportions are reasonable though. I'd rather have a few weird angles than a C pillar I could play tennis on.

That is a fair point.

BimmerM3

Pardon the crappy MSPaint editing job, but even just extending the waistline a bit further back on the door and making that little quarter window bigger would help a lot, IMO.

EDIT: In fact, that's pretty close to what they did with the rear door on the sedan, except that the sedan does a better job of keeping the kink in the door that's become a trademark of Mazda3s than my edit does. Not sure why they didn't keep that on the hatch.

ORIGINAL:

EDITED:

EDIT 2: Here's another version with more window, but retaining the kink. So much better, IMO. There's just too much metal back there on the real car. I think I'd even keep the waistline on the rear door a bit lower to let the kink stand out more, but I don't feel like doing another edit.

Payman

Nope. I love it as is. Like Kevin said, it has an Alfa vibe. 30 years of fat Golf C pillar, and this bugs you guys? It's not even a distinct C pillar, but a beautiful blending of pillar and rear quarter.

Laconian

I like edit #2 but I still think this is going to look great on the road.

Especially in that gunmetal metallic mica like on my RF.

93JC

Quote from: Rockraven on November 28, 2018, 06:16:47 PM
Nope. I love it as is. Like Kevin said, it has an Alfa vibe. 30 years of fat Golf C pillar, and this bugs you guys? It's not even a distinct C pillar, but a beautiful blending of pillar and rear quarter.

It is admittedly a little reminiscent of an Alfa Brera, but I didn't care much for the Brera either. :mask:

Laconian

YES, that's the one, the Brera. It's a better-looking Brera!