No Garage

Started by Eye of the Tiger, December 07, 2018, 11:51:28 AM

Soup DeVille

Cut the GMC down to the frame. Build a trailer on top of it. Rig the throttle and transmission to be controlled remotely by the Dakota. Tow self-propelled trailer.

Profit!
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 24, 2019, 05:26:38 PM
Cut the GMC down to the frame. Build a trailer on top of it. Rig the throttle and transmission to be controlled remotely by the Dakota. Tow self-propelled trailer.

Profit!

This is starting to make sense, somehow.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Submariner

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Eye of the Tiger

I'd rather turbo LS the GMC and pull a trailer.
Heck, I could put a turbo on the 4.3. It could handle a few boosts.

RomanChariot

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 23, 2019, 11:28:00 AM
Thinking of more stuff ...

-High volume engine oil pump
-Toolbox in back with all the tools to fix anything. I already have the box sitting in my living room ... kek
-Weight distribution hitch with sway control
-Upgraded alternator, battery, and new battery cables, and an inverter to temporarily run 30-amp camper electrics.
-Aux. gas tanks, somewhere. The towing range with the current 25 gal tank at 8-9 MPG will be something like 220 miles.
-More marker lights all over, for safety
-Train horn, for safety
-$Texas

The weight distribution hitch with sway control is a very good idea if you are planning on going freeway speeds and mandatory if you go over 5000 pound trailer weight.
You don't need the inverter as trailers are set to run on 12 volts DC. They use a built-in converter so you can plug them into an AC power source. The only time they get close to using 30 amps is when you use the air conditioning which you would only do in camp.

The Grey Wolf trailer you listed is only 4181 pounds dry. As long as you transport your trailer dry and you aren't going very far or very fast your GMC would handle a 5000 pound dry weight trailer just fine. All bets are out the window if you want to do extended driving at freeway speeds or start climbing hills.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: RomanChariot on February 25, 2019, 10:30:00 AM
The weight distribution hitch with sway control is a very good idea if you are planning on going freeway speeds and mandatory if you go over 5000 pound trailer weight.
You don't need the inverter as trailers are set to run on 12 volts DC. They use a built-in converter so you can plug them into an AC power source. The only time they get close to using 30 amps is when you use the air conditioning which you would only do in camp.

The Grey Wolf trailer you listed is only 4181 pounds dry. As long as you transport your trailer dry and you aren't going very far or very fast your GMC would handle a 5000 pound dry weight trailer just fine. All bets are out the window if you want to do extended driving at freeway speeds or start climbing hills.

Yeah, I just realized campers already have AC/DC invertinators. I was investigation solar panel systems. I could run most of the camper, sans air conditioning, with a $1000 system.

Soup DeVille

Trailers have a rectifier to convert AC to DC, but not the other way around. Plugging in to DC will give you lights. If you have a propane fridge and water heater, those will work too. Some heater blowers will and others won't. Anything that's AC only, won't; like a TV (most of them), and of course the AC.

A 3000 Watt inverter would run most of everything, but that would draw something like 250 Amps from the 12 volt system, and no normal vehicle can support that. If you want to be able to camp with full power
on and not plugged in, you need a generator.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 25, 2019, 11:46:50 AM
Yeah, I just realized campers already have AC/DC invertinators. I was investigation solar panel systems. I could run most of the camper, sans air conditioning, with a $1000 system.

No, they have rectifiers. They do AC to DC, not the other way around.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 25, 2019, 11:51:40 AM
No, they have rectifiers. They do AC to DC, not the other way around.

They don't have both? Rectumfryers and invertionaters? I need a schematic.

Soup DeVille

Some may, but not many, and not in the price range you're looking at.

Eye of the Tiger

My 4.3's front accessory bracket has a place for a second alternator. GMC = Generator More Camping

Soup DeVille

https://www.fabcopower.com/generat/bgen.htm

I would be leery using these on electronics, as Hz is proportional to engine RPM.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 25, 2019, 12:46:41 PM

I would be leery using these on electronics, as Hz is proportional to engine RPM.

Maybe I can just get twenty-seven solar panels.

RomanChariot

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 25, 2019, 12:46:41 PM

Those are interesting. I doubt that the install is nearly as easy as they make it sound. Also, I don't think my 454 would be nearly as efficient at making 3000 watts as my Honda generator is.

Eye of the Tiger

GMC's genalternator is only 85 amps, but is has a Delco Freedom battery.
No, it actually has a NAPA battery now.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: RomanChariot on February 25, 2019, 04:34:22 PM
Those are interesting. I doubt that the install is nearly as easy as they make it sound. Also, I don't think my 454 would be nearly as efficient at making 3000 watts as my Honda generator is.

They're pretty common on large service trucks. No, in the end its more efficient to run a small engine under a heavy load than a big one under a very light load.

In the big trucks (think of a boom truck that also has power tools plugged in), the engine often has to stay on anyways to run the PTO for the hydraulics.

Eye of the Tiger

Super quiet 2000 watt inverter generators are like $400 now.

Eye of the Tiger

If I understand it correctly, this Winnebago Lesharo is on a Renault Trafic chassis, FWD, 2.2L gasoline I4, 3 speed automatic, about 6000# wet and loaded. Can it go on a highway?

https://columbia.craigslist.org/rvs/d/greenwood-minnie-winniele-sharo/6827338530.html

giant_mtb

With blinkers on in the far-right lane, probably. :lol:

BimmerM3

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 25, 2019, 09:55:37 PM
If I understand it correctly, this Winnebago Lesharo is on a Renault Trafic chassis, FWD, 2.2L gasoline I4, 3 speed automatic, about 6000# wet and loaded. Can it go on a highway?

https://columbia.craigslist.org/rvs/d/greenwood-minnie-winniele-sharo/6827338530.html

Apparently all you gotta do is get the 4 speed from one of the diesel models and you're good to go.

QuoteIn the case of Diesel and Turbo Diesel Le Sharos, we have met the lack of power syndrome by retrofitting the 2.2 Fuel Injected Renault motor used in the 85 and later LeSharos, or 85 to 89 2.2 Renault Fuego, Sportwagon or Medallions (complete with full Fuel Injection set-up) to the 4 speed transaxle used in the LeSharo: the combination works extremely well, as the 2.2 gas engine can and will rev at 4000 rpm continuously for hours on end in these RVs (even with the A/C on), at which engine speed we have verified that the little RV is doing about 65 to 72 mph, rendering approximately 16 to 19mpg!......we recommend changing the timing belt and water pump at about 60 to 75000 mile intervals.

http://www.lesharo.com/drivers/why-lesharo.html

Eye of the Tiger

GMC's 4.3 can rev to 4000 RPM ... maybe for a second.

BimmerM3

S2000 is at about 4k at 75mph. Not exactly a highway cruiser, but it doesn't really seem to mind. Exhaust drone gets old after awhile though.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: BimmerM3 on February 25, 2019, 11:37:46 PM
S2000 is at about 4k at 75mph. Not exactly a highway cruiser, but it doesn't really seem to mind. Exhaust drone gets old after awhile though.

See if the S2000 motor minds being hooked to a 3 speed automatic in a 6000# RV. :lol:

Soup DeVille

A Winnebago with a Fuego engine? Jesus Christ.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 26, 2019, 04:34:01 AM
A Winnebago with a Fuego engine? Jesus Christ.

If only it was the Fuego turbo!

Eye of the Tiger

I wonder if the Lesharo can tow a 4000# camper trailer.

shp4man

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 25, 2019, 09:55:37 PM

How can such a thing exist? Make the sign of the cross! Run..Run..far away.. quickly!
:lol:

RomanChariot

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 26, 2019, 08:45:53 AM
I wonder if the Lesharo can tow a 4000# camper trailer.

I wonder if the Lesharo  can tow a radio flyer.

Eye of the Tiger

It's a good thing I don't have four grand burning a hole in my pocket. I'd have to permanently wrap myself in a Lesharo.

BimmerM3

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 26, 2019, 12:07:23 AM
See if the S2000 motor minds being hooked to a 3 speed automatic in a 6000# RV. :lol:

It probably minds less than the 2.2L that it comes with. :lol: