Camaro to actually become a production car?

Started by Colonel Cadillac, January 20, 2006, 06:42:50 PM

Colonel Cadillac

Autoweek:
DETROIT -- The Camaro concept unveiled by General Motors at the Detroit auto show clearly gets design chief Ed Welburn's blood pumping.

It didn't take much reading between the lines of his remarks at the Automotive News World Congress to get the message that he wants the remake of the classic muscle car to join the Chevy lineup as soon as possible.

GM stopped building the Camaro and its Pontiac Firebird sibling in 2002. The cars debuted as 1967 models.

"It was a vehicle I was very passionate about," said Welburn, GM's vice president of global design.

Welburn wouldn't say whether a decision had been made to put the concept into production. Once GM brass give a vehicle the green light, Welburn noted, it typically takes three years for production to begin.

"But the Camaro isn't a typical car," he said. "I think we could move very quickly. It is a strong design."

Despite Welburn's coyness, it's an open secret that the Camaro is headed for production. The car is based on a rear-wheel-drive platform that will be engineered by GM's Australian Holden subsidiary.

GM sources say the production Camaro will be almost 100 percent true to the concept car. But the interior will be scaled back to allow lower prices for an entry-level V-6 version.

Welburn said he and GM Vice Chairman Robert Lutz wanted the Camaro to be reminiscent of its predecessor, but updated. This suggested a strong Corvette flavor for the project, he said.

The concept is powered by Corvette's aluminum LS2 6.0-liter, 400-hp V-8.

Welburn said he was happy to be able to talk about the Camaro, after frustrating months of enforced silence.

GM kept details of the concept shrouded in secrecy for eight months before its debut.

And inside the company, he said, "We never used the word 'Camaro' above a whisper."

footoflead

Hmm...cant wait to see a picture of what it will end up looking like

i think its great, just needs to iron out a few 'wrinkels' IMO
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

thewizard16

I know they're different type of cars, kind of, but I'm not sure a 400-hp Camaro would be a good sibling for the Corvette. With that kind of power, I'd be afraid it'd eat into its sales. I know they said a V6 version also, and that is a good idea, but I'm not sure the 400hp V8 is.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

ifcar

The other products that have also used the LS2 haven't seemed to cut into Corvette sales.  

ichi_ban1

Generally, people who go to buy Corvettes aren't looking for anything else but a Corvette. Chevy doesn't have to worry about something else in the lineup cutting into its sales.

Wake up and Drive an EVO

Lebowski

QuoteI know they're different type of cars, kind of, but I'm not sure a 400-hp Camaro would be a good sibling for the Corvette. With that kind of power, I'd be afraid it'd eat into its sales. I know they said a V6 version also, and that is a good idea, but I'm not sure the 400hp V8 is.
I doubt it would ... the GTO already has the LS2, and doesn't seem to impact corvette sales much.

SVT666

QuoteI know they're different type of cars, kind of, but I'm not sure a 400-hp Camaro would be a good sibling for the Corvette. With that kind of power, I'd be afraid it'd eat into its sales. I know they said a V6 version also, and that is a good idea, but I'm not sure the 400hp V8 is.
I doubt it would ... the GTO already has the LS2, and doesn't seem to impact corvette sales much.
...or any other car for that matter  :P  

Raza

What it will do is kill the GTO.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

jadewolf123

Thats okay if they make the Camaro as livable a car as the GTO is. If its a power monster and still can be driven around town comfortably then GM has a sucess in the making.  
2007 Mazda 6i Sedan Gray Black Cloth Interior 5-Spd

mazda6er

Thats okay if they make the Camaro as livable a car as the GTO is. If its a power monster and still can be driven around town comfortably then GM has a sucess in the making.
And an already floundering brand (Pontiac) with even less to offer.   ;)  
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

ifcar

They'd probably sell the car in both brands.

Raza

QuoteThey'd probably sell the car in both brands.
You mean a resurrection of the Firebird/Trans Am?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ifcar

mazda6er

I think you're right ifcar. I've thought I heard that they are going to bring back the Firebird too, but it would be awfully similar to the GTO, probably.

I would be ecstatic if they decided to keep the GTO around and move it upmarket with more option packages etc. to make room for the Firebird. That would be cool.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

ifcar

By MY 2009, the GTO will have lived its full life cycle even in the US, and it's several years older in Australia. That won't be a problem.  

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

giant_mtb

QuoteI'm still not sold, Gigante.
I'm just trying to show what it looks like.  I don't care for it, either.

giant_mtb

QuoteLooks smaller than the GTO to me <_<
It certainly isn't smaller than the GTO, but it's not too much bigger either.  I'm quite positive it wasn't smaller, though.

SJ_GTI

It certainly isn't smaller than the GTO, but it's not too much bigger either.  I'm quite positive it wasn't smaller, though.
If you are referring to the concept  (I can't see the pictures you posted) the Camaro is indeed shorter than the current GTO by a few inches, though it does have a slightly longer wheelbase.

From the looks they pushed the front wheels all the way ahead of the engine which is a good idea for weight balance. Its also consistent with the idea of the platform coming from a less expensive version of the CTS (which has a really short front overhang).

Raza

I actually can't wait for the five Mustang v Camaro v Challenger comparisons that Motor Trend will do.

:P

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

giant_mtb

If you are referring to the concept  (I can't see the pictures you posted) the Camaro is indeed shorter than the current GTO by a few inches, though it does have a slightly longer wheelbase.

From the looks they pushed the front wheels all the way ahead of the engine which is a good idea for weight balance. Its also consistent with the idea of the platform coming from a less expensive version of the CTS (which has a really short front overhang).
Dammit.  I deleted them from my photobucket album thing...didn't think that they'd be deleted from here but I guess that makes sense.  I'll get them back up.