Hitch Luggage Carrier

Started by veeman, January 03, 2019, 08:28:37 AM

veeman

On the way to the airport (1.5 hrs away) I had to figure out how to carry 6 people and about 9 various size suitcases. SUV has captain chairs second row and folding down 1/3 the third row, I didn't have enough space.  Getting an airport shuttle ride in a Ford Transit or Sprinter type of van from Connecticut to JFK airport is over $200 plus then I gotta fork over the same amount getting back home. I thought about putting it on my roof with a tarp on top but the roof racks and cross bars that come with the car aren't designed for that much weight.  After googling I came upon a hitch luggage carrier.  These things are great!  I haven't seen them much on cars at all.  They hold up to 500 lbs and fit on my 2 inch hitch receiver.  I've seen plenty of bike racks in the back but haven't seen a luggage rack.  They fold up when not in use so I can still park the car at an airport lot without getting charged for taking up more room.   

BimmerM3

Those things are pretty cool. They're somewhat common for tailgating (to carry grill, coolers, etc.) as well as camping.

giant_mtb

Very convenient.  I have one designed for electric wheelchairs and such...has a fold-down ramp.  Use it to transport snowbl0wer.  Haven't used it for any other cargo, as I haven't had the need.

https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Cargo-Carrier/MaxxTow/MT70260.html

CaminoRacer

Yeah I mostly see them for wheelchairs. They seem nicer than roofboxes for luggage & stuff, though, so I'm surprised they're not more popular.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

giant_mtb

Quote from: CaminoRacer on January 03, 2019, 12:21:36 PM
Yeah I mostly see them for wheelchairs. They seem nicer than roofboxes for luggage & stuff, though, so I'm surprised they're not more popular.

Ever since I got mine, I feel like I see them more.  Dunno if that's because they actually are becoming more popular, or just because I have an eye for them now that I have one, too.  But I mean, you can go to Menards and get a cheap steel one for like $50.

veeman

Mine was $150 on Amazon prime and came with the cargo carrier bag.  500 lbs is a heckuva lot of weight it can carry.  On Amazon some customer reviews have said they've taken them cross country without any problems.  You have to move your license plate to the rear window of the car but don't have to deal with any taillight electric stuff because you can still see the taillights of the car (at least in my car you could).  For me its just one further reason I don't need a minivan :lol:

AutobahnSHO

Yeah and hope no one steals your stuff at night at the hotel or in a parking lot.....

They are indeed pretty slick. Much better fuel mileage and easier to load than a roof rack. Just need that hitch receiver!! (Which every car should have anyway, you never know when you'll need it!!)
Will