Most exciting cars from around 2000

Started by mzziaz, January 24, 2019, 02:54:53 PM

Laconian

Quote from: Submariner on January 28, 2019, 04:42:54 PM
That "formal roofline" looks like garbage.

Yeah, where's the imitation leather? I want a proper landeau roof on my America luxury :fogey: :neverforget: :neverforget: :neverforget: :neverforget:
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

MX793

Quote from: Speed_Racer on January 28, 2019, 11:25:05 AM
The Cougar XR7 was the more attractive twin, also came with a stick.

The Lincoln MKVIII was the pick of the MN12 litter.  280-290 hp quad cam V8 (vs 205 for the V8 T-bird and Cougar, or 230 for the S/C V6 T-bird).  Active suspension that would lower the ride height at speed.  I heard a story that a nearly stock example was clocked at 180+ mph at Bonneville.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

FoMoJo

2000 Lincoln LS...

They were RWD and came with either a 3.0 litre V6 (Jaguar version) or a 3.9 litre V8 (Jaguar DOHC 32 valve).  I've seen them listed at around $5,000 CAD.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MX793 on January 28, 2019, 06:58:18 PM
The Lincoln MKVIII was the pick of the MN12 litter.  280-290 hp quad cam V8 (vs 205 for the V8 T-bird and Cougar, or 230 for the S/C V6 T-bird).  Active suspension that would lower the ride height at speed.  I heard a story that a nearly stock example was clocked at 180+ mph at Bonneville.

Technically, that was the FN10 platform.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Submariner

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

68_427

Quote from: MX793 on January 28, 2019, 06:58:18 PM

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2018/04/24/that-time-lincoln-built-a-land-speed-mark-viii-and-set-a-182-mph-record-at-bonneville/

Also this body style was tested for NASCAR but Ford said NO.

The cougar as well, but the roof profile proved to have too little downforce and while fast, it was essentially uncontrollable.

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Submariner

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

mzziaz

Cuore Sportivo

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 25, 2019, 04:46:20 PM
I'll run retreads, but I won't run Westlakes.

Westlake makes disc golf discs. Same company? :lol:
Will

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 29, 2019, 05:47:37 AM
Westlake makes disc golf discs. Same company? :lol:

I'd switch to retreaded disc golf discs if I were you  :lol:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Eye of the Tiger

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 29, 2019, 07:17:27 AM
I'd switch to retreaded disc golf discs if I were you  :lol:

LOL Never mind, it's "Westside", but they have cool disc names, just scroll down:

https://westsidediscs.com/category/discs/

Will

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

BimmerM3

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 29, 2019, 08:33:43 AM
Wait a year and get a 2000 Lincoln LS. :huh:

Again, unless he's looking for something different just for the sake of being different, I don't see why anyone would go through the trouble of importing one of those, especially since it's basically just a Jag S-Type, which I'm assuming he could already get. They were OK for their time, but there's absolutely nothing remarkable about it. Or pretty much anything else mentioned in this thread that's in his budget.

Wait two years and get a C5 Z06. This is the right answer. Something uniquely American but actually worth the trouble.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?sourceContext=untrackedExternal_false_0&newSearchFromOverviewPage=true&inventorySearchWidgetType=AUTO&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=c400&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity2=&zip=80301&distance=50000&searchChanged=true&trimNames=Z06+Hardtop+Coupe+RWD&modelChanged=false&filtersModified=true#listing=230180639

shp4man

I've made a lot of money working on Lincoln LS's. Just sayin'.

The 84 Tbird was a fairly decent car with the 5.0 V8. Had one.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: BimmerM3 on January 29, 2019, 08:45:08 AM

Wait two years and get a C5 Z06. This is the right answer. Something uniquely American but actually worth the trouble.

I agree with this guy.

FoMoJo

Quote from: BimmerM3 on January 29, 2019, 08:45:08 AM
Again, unless he's looking for something different just for the sake of being different, I don't see why anyone would go through the trouble of importing one of those, especially since it's basically just a Jag S-Type, which I'm assuming he could already get. They were OK for their time, but there's absolutely nothing remarkable about it. Or pretty much anything else mentioned in this thread that's in his budget.
They were an interesting car, imo.  Pleasant styling with a couple of responsive engines with the option of having a 5 speed manual.  As well, they can be had for $5,000 or less.

Another car of that era that I like is the Mazda Millenia.  Once again, pleasant styling, an interesting engine and entry level luxu interiors.

GoCougs

Again, C5 will rattle and squeak like no other, plus the transaxle can be finicky, and it only has two seats. The answer still remains 4th gen Camaro Z/28 or SS:

2o6

BimmerM3

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 29, 2019, 09:23:59 AM
They were an interesting car, imo.  Pleasant styling with a couple of responsive engines with the option of having a 5 speed manual.  As well, they can be had for $5,000 or less.

My dad had one for 6 or 7 years. It was a decent alternative to a 5er for considerably less money, but as Shippy said, they had some mechanical issues. 20 years later, they're just another mediocre old car. It's a better suggestion than most of the cars in the thread, but still not worth the trouble of getting one from another continent.

If he's gonna get a 20 year old, mid-size sport luxury sedan that has known mechanical issues, he might as well just get an E39. Much better overall vehicle and he won't have to deal with the hassle of importing.

FoMoJo

Quote from: GoCougs on January 29, 2019, 09:34:57 AM
Again, C5 will rattle and squeak like no other, plus the transaxle can be finicky, and it only has two seats. The answer still remains 4th gen Camaro Z/28 or SS:

Yeah, but he'll have to grow a mullet to drive the thing. :huh:

MX793

Quote from: GoCougs on January 29, 2019, 09:34:57 AM

And you don't think a 4th generation F-body will rattle and squeak like nothing else?  T-top cars will be especially bad.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: MX793 on January 29, 2019, 09:53:04 AM
And you don't think a 4th generation F-body will rattle and squeak like nothing else?  T-top cars will be especially bad.

The mullet absorbs the squeaks and rattles in the Camaro. The C5 does not have that advantage.

Xer0

Those F-bodies are also absolutely hideous.  Yuck. 

Does the reborn GTO make the cut or is that too new?  That might be a fun car to tinker with.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Xer0 on January 29, 2019, 10:01:44 AM

Does the reborn GTO make the cut or is that too new?  That might be a fun car to tinker with.

No. The GTOs stay here. I still want one, and we don't have enough to share. :rage:

BimmerM3

Quote from: Xer0 on January 29, 2019, 10:01:44 AM

2004 was the first MY.

FoMoJo

Quote from: BimmerM3 on January 29, 2019, 09:39:18 AM
My dad had one for 6 or 7 years. It was a decent alternative to a 5er for considerably less money, but as Shippy said, they had some mechanical issues. 20 years later, they're just another mediocre old car. It's a better suggestion than most of the cars in the thread, but still not worth the trouble of getting one from another continent.

If he's gonna get a 20 year old, mid-size sport luxury sedan that has known mechanical issues, he might as well just get an E39. Much better overall vehicle and he won't have to deal with the hassle of importing.
I guess it depends on what mzziaz is looking for.  I expect an E39 is not uncommon over where he lives.  He mentioned Panther bodies, so  big boulevard cruisers the likes of an Impala SS or a Marauder with a raucous V8 may appeal more to his style.  Tons of upgrades available for both of them.  However, I'd advise him to have a close look at the rear quarter panels of the SS before he decides. 

Xer0

Quote from: BimmerM3 on January 29, 2019, 10:12:18 AM
2004 was the first MY.

Hmm, bummer.  C5 is still the answer than.

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 29, 2019, 10:07:05 AM
No. The GTOs stay here. I still want one, and we don't have enough to share. :rage:

Looks like you can decent ones for about 15K, thats more than I expected honestly.  Future collectible maybe? :hmm: