Most exciting cars from around 2000

Started by mzziaz, January 24, 2019, 02:54:53 PM

CaminoRacer

C5. Either buy one now or wait to get a Z06 like mentioned previously.

Everything else mentioned is a POS that isn't worth the effort, or has been available to import already. An Olds 442 is awesome and you should get one, but it doesn't necessarily make sense given the point of this thread.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

BimmerM3

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 29, 2019, 10:33:09 AM
I guess it depends on what mzziaz is looking for.  I expect an E39 is not uncommon over where he lives.  He mentioned Panther bodies, so  big boulevard cruisers the likes of an Impala SS or a Marauder with a raucous V8 may appeal more to his style.  Tons of upgrades available for both of them.  However, I'd advise him to have a close look at the rear quarter panels of the SS before he decides. 

Personally, I'm not into those souped up cop cars, but at least they're something that's actually unique in Europe.

The LS is just a not-as-good version of a European sport-sedan. The only thing it has going for it is that he'll be the only person he knows with one.

Soup DeVille

Remember, he imported a fox-body Mustang. Per also tried to buy an Alfa in Michigan, but lost it because his local agent didn't act fast enough.

So we know he can tolerate '80s build quality and features, which the Panthers have mostly improved on. They'd also be unique enough to turn heads.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

FoMoJo

Quote from: BimmerM3 on January 29, 2019, 11:19:02 AM
Personally, I'm not into those souped up cop cars, but at least they're something that's actually unique in Europe.

The LS is just a not-as-good version of a European sport-sedan. The only thing it has going for it is that he'll be the only person he knows with one.
That may be the point. 
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

BimmerM3

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 29, 2019, 11:32:04 AM
That may be the point. 

Yup. :ohyeah:

Quote from: BimmerM3 on January 28, 2019, 11:38:28 AM
Unless you just want something different for the sake of being different,

Quote from: BimmerM3 on January 29, 2019, 08:45:08 AM
Again, unless he's looking for something different just for the sake of being different,

But I can't imagine that C5s are terribly common either. I think that they would be different enough while also being something actually worth driving. :lol:

GoCougs

GoCougs

Quote from: MX793 on January 29, 2019, 09:53:04 AM
And you don't think a 4th generation F-body will rattle and squeak like nothing else?  T-top cars will be especially bad.

Then don't get t-tops ;). It will squeak and rattle, but not like a C5.

As has been the case since 1967, the Camaro is always the better (and IMO more desirable) used car vs. the Corvette - body integrity, build quality, modibility, utility, durability (esp. rear transaxle C5+).

Soup DeVille

Unfortunately non t-top F Bodies are also not exactly common.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

2o6

Quote from: GoCougs on January 29, 2019, 12:06:09 PM
Second best to the Z/28 or SS.

Who cares? He wants something distinctly American and something you can't get readily in NW Europe.

An Impala SS seems like the ticket. It's big, BOF, and V8.

12,000 RPM

He might as well get a regular..... Caprice?

The more I think about it the more Panthers make sense though. Cheap, abundant, American
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Payman

The only thing from that era, '95-'00 that I would recommend without guilt is a Blazer or Bronco.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Rockraven on January 29, 2019, 12:34:27 PM
The only thing from that era, '95-'00 that I would recommend without guilt is a Blazer or Bronco.

wat
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Payman

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 29, 2019, 12:39:52 PM
wat

Seriously. There's not a single domestic car from those years that I'd recommend him to buy. Maybe a C5, but it's not going to be a good one for $13,000.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Rockraven on January 29, 2019, 12:42:09 PM
Seriously. There's not a single domestic car from those years that I'd recommend him to buy. Maybe a C5, but it's not going to be a good one for $13,000.

I'd say a '98 Dodge Dakota is a good choice. Two of them, one for parts (cuz they break).

Payman

Maybe a black Formula Firehawk so he can pretend to be the Dark Knight or Knight Rider.

shp4man

What's more American than a Jeep? Beware, these vehicles hold their value really well. A nice 2000 Wrangler will set you back an incredible ten grand or so.

mzziaz

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 29, 2019, 11:31:07 AM
Remember, he imported a fox-body Mustang. Per also tried to buy an Alfa in Michigan, but lost it because his local agent didn't act fast enough.

So we know he can tolerate '80s build quality and features, which the Panthers have mostly improved on. They'd also be unique enough to turn heads.

Yeah, I like oddballs. Also, panthers is kind of familiar to a lot of yurps from movies and such. Combined with a pretty big amcar culture, there might actually be a market for shipping them over.
Cuore Sportivo

mzziaz

Cuore Sportivo

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: mzziaz on January 29, 2019, 01:15:27 PM
FWD is a deal breaker to me.

RWD? Then you need a Cadillac Catera.
Which was based on an Opel.
From Europe.
:lol:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: mzziaz on January 29, 2019, 01:11:41 PM

Yeah, I like oddballs. Also, panthers is kind of familiar to a lot of yurps from movies and such. Combined with a pretty big amcar culture, there might actually be a market for shipping them over.

If you can deal with them driving like big American cars, they might be the ticket.

Submariner

Quote from: mzziaz on January 29, 2019, 01:15:27 PM
FWD is a deal breaker to me.

Maybe the RWD STS?  You can get decent examples for 15k or so.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

MX793

Quote from: Submariner on January 29, 2019, 01:43:54 PM
Maybe the RWD STS?  You can get decent examples for 15k or so.

Too new.  Nothing built after 2000.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 29, 2019, 01:27:55 PM
If you can deal with them driving like big American cars, they might be the ticket.

The Lincolns are best. Town Car .... or Mk.VIII

Submariner

Quote from: GoCougs on January 25, 2019, 11:32:13 AM
Nah, while the Marauder was more buttoned down the Impala SS was quicker (and far more mod friendly), as the Marauder suffered greatly due to lackluster power band + 4,300 lb car + 4sp AT:

From C&D:

Impala SS:
0-60: 6.5 sec
1/4 mile:  15.0 sec @ 92 mph
Top speed:  142 mph

Mercury Marauder:
0-60: 7.5 sec
1/4 mile:  15.5 sec @ 91 mph
Top speed: 117 mph (governed, due to drive shaft)

EDIT: Note that the Marauder was a 10-year newer design (first year for Impala SS was 1994).

That's a pretty optimistic 0-60 time.  Motor Trend has it listed at 8 seconds, which seems much more reasonable given 250HP + 4300lbs + 4AT.

FoMoJo

1998-2000 are likely the best panthers to look for.  They had made improvements to handling in 1998 and, by that time, they were almost bullet-proof.  Ford Crown Vics, Mercury Marquis and Lincoln Town Cars are what you have to choose from.  Should still be lots of them around.  Get Shippy's opinion on the 4.6 modular engine, but they were/are very stout and reliable.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

Submariner

Quote from: MX793 on January 29, 2019, 01:47:33 PM
Too new.  Nothing built after 2000.

Oh.

Panther-body cars are awful.  I mean, so are F-bodies but they definitely have a certain appeal, but the Panther cars are the real deal.  They're garbage.  Even the top shelf Town Car felt like a poorly screwed together turd the moment it left the factory.  Luxury cars for people with no taste and no soul.  That's why the mob loved them.

I think a well sorted C5 is your best bet.  The Lincoln LS is just a re-bodied Jag that isn't as good as a comparable 5er.  There is nothing remarkable about the Thunderbird, and it's inbred Mercury cousin is just an ugly Thunderbird, plus I'd never trust a 20+ year old air suspension which many of the top trim cars came with. 

The 996 Nick mentioned is nice (I'd go for a C4S coupe but w/e) but that isn't American exclusive.  The Chevelle and 442 are obviously "cool" but I'm not sure what kind of condition car you can get for your budget.

The C5 is going to be rare enough and has a huge aftermarket + fan base.  I think that's your best bet.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Submariner on January 29, 2019, 02:05:00 PM
That's a pretty optimistic 0-60 time.  Motor Trend has it listed at 8 seconds, which seems much more reasonable given 250HP + 4300lbs + 4AT.
Marauder first model year was 2003 so it doesn't fit.  Still it's a better choice than the SS boat.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Submariner on January 29, 2019, 02:09:24 PM
Oh.

Panther-body cars are awful.  I mean, so are F-bodies but they definitely have a certain appeal, but the Panther cars are the real deal.  They're garbage.  Even the top shelf Town Car felt like a poorly screwed together turd the moment it left the factory.  Luxury cars for people with no taste and no soul.  That's why the mob loved them.

I think a well sorted C5 is your best bet.  The Lincoln LS is just a re-bodied Jag that isn't as good as a comparable 5er.  There is nothing remarkable about the Thunderbird, and it's inbred Mercury cousin is just an ugly Thunderbird, plus I'd never trust a 20+ year old air suspension which many of the top trim cars came with. 

The 996 Nick mentioned is nice (I'd go for a C4S coupe but w/e) but that isn't American exclusive.  The Chevelle and 442 are obviously "cool" but I'm not sure what kind of condition car you can get for your budget.

The C5 is going to be rare enough and has a huge aftermarket + fan base.  I think that's your best bet.
Nonsense :nutty:.  Thousands of town cars still serve as airport taxis all over North America.  They just keep running.

BimmerM3

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 29, 2019, 02:13:14 PM
Nonsense :nutty:.  Thousands of town cars still serve as airport taxis all over North America.  They just keep running.

They still feel like poorly screwed together turds though. It's like Ford figured out how to make a screw that's always loose but never comes completely unscrewed.

FoMoJo

Quote from: BimmerM3 on January 29, 2019, 02:15:40 PM
They still feel like poorly screwed together turds though. It's like Ford figured out how to make a screw that's always loose but never comes completely unscrewed.
Years of experimenting until they got it just right :ohyeah:.