Auto Journalism?

Started by BimmerM3, February 03, 2019, 07:55:31 PM

BimmerM3

Where do you guys get auto news from these days? What are the best written and most reliable sources?

Things I like: Factual information. Opinions about real cars that the writers have actually driven. Common issues with popular vehicles (recalls and whatnot).

Things I don't like: Rumors and speculation. Unofficial renderings. People getting overly upset about the fact that things change over time.

I kind of started this thread with more traditional journalism like the old car magazines (not necessarily in a print format), but sites for specs or reliability ratings could also be useful.

Payman

Quote from: BimmerM3 on February 03, 2019, 07:55:31 PM
Where do you guys get auto news from these days? What are the best written and most reliable sources?

Things I like: Factual information. Opinions about real cars that the writers have actually driven. Common issues with popular vehicles (recalls and whatnot).

Things I don't like: Rumors and speculation. Unofficial renderings. People getting overly upset about the fact that things change over time.

I kind of started this thread with more traditional journalism like the old car magazines (not necessarily in a print format), but sites for specs or reliability ratings could also be useful.

I use Jalopnik daily for tips, not for the journalism. Then I look for a proper writeup, usually C&D or M/T.

MrH

YouTube. A few channels are killing it these days. Tons of garbage out there too though
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Xer0

We're at a weird place for journalism right now, imo.  With how fast internet connections are and the fact that you can load up a youtube video instantly, if people are going to stop, sit down, and read an article it better be good.  While places like TTAC or Jalopnik kinda thrived during the blogging boom where content content content was the name of the game, I cant anymore.  The writing is just garbage and sophomoric; I can't be bothered.  On the other hand, with videos, sophomoric writing and trite opinions can be okay with there is some fun personality to back it up.  This is where the Straight Pipes guys are imo.  Every review of theirs is literally the same, but they are so fun to watch together that its fine.  When it comes to video review I pretty much stick with Savegeese, StraightPipes, and Motortrend shows.  When it comes to reading I pretty much only sit down for C/D and Motortrend.  Otherwise, I just read the article headline for TTAC cause reading the actual article tends to annoy me.

CaminoRacer

I hate videos. I don't have time for them most of the day and/or don't want to turn the sound on. Articles are skimmable and don't require sound.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

BimmerM3

Quote from: MrH on February 03, 2019, 09:24:25 PM
YouTube. A few channels are killing it these days. Tons of garbage out there too though

Any specific channels?

Gotta-Qik-C7

Pretty much Youtube, C&D and MT.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

12,000 RPM

Some people are going to HATE this, but you just described Consumer Reports :huh:

Most other stuff is purely entertainment (and not successful in that mission)

I think Morris Minor said the only journalism worth reading is stuff they can charge for... for the most part I agree. CR might not be the flashiest or "purist"-est rag but if you want to know the real deal with a car they will tell you.

Truthfully, the value in places like TTAC and Jalopnik is the opportunity to discuss cars with other people, not the articles themselves. But the Jalopnik comment board is so bad I might give up on the site entirely. They are the brown manual diesel wagon basement dwelling 19 year old hive mind.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

r0tor

Bleh, I hate the 99th percentitle YouTube review... Take a performance car, drive it on the street at 3/10 of its capability... and then claim how amazing it performs  :rolleyes:
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Payman

The only vids I really watch are Leno's Garage. I don't watch new car reviews.

r0tor

Quote from: r0tor on February 04, 2019, 05:47:21 AM
Bleh, I hate the 99th percentitle YouTube review... Take a performance car, drive it on the street at 3/10 of its capability... and then claim how amazing it performs  :rolleyes:

I should actually extend this beyond YouTube to some popular "news" sites with car reviewers
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

12,000 RPM

Quote from: r0tor on February 04, 2019, 05:47:21 AM
That's less a problem with reviewers and more a problem with how ridiculously over-capable performance cars are today. You could prob cut HP down by 1/3 in a lot of performance cars and they'd be no worse to drive on the street.

r0tor

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 04, 2019, 06:37:07 AM
That's less a problem with reviewers and more a problem with how ridiculously over-capable performance cars are today. You could prob cut HP down by 1/3 in a lot of performance cars and they'd be no worse to drive on the street.

No, if you want to be an auto journalist - then you should have access to facilities and equipment to actually test the cars.

I have read/viewed more then 1 review of the Giulia where the g meter performance display is described as an uninteresting thing with only a red dot.... and that's the truth if you never go above 0.5gs because it only triggers the display above that.  So these douchebags were driving around 100% of the time in grandma mode - and still commenting on performance and handling.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: r0tor on February 04, 2019, 07:06:14 AM
No, if you want to be an auto journalist - then you should have access to facilities and equipment to actually test the cars.

I have read/viewed more then 1 review of the Giulia where the g meter performance display is described as an uninteresting thing with only a red dot.... and that's the truth if you never go above 0.5gs because it only triggers the display above that.  So these douchebags were driving around 100% of the time in grandma mode - and still commenting on performance and handling.
This might be relevant if you are buying your Giulia to use as a track car, but if you are trying to trigger the secret G meter display on the street.........................

Not to say most auto journalists aren't shit but if their audience is only driving cars on the street what's the value of taking the car to a race track?

Again though CR has its own test track and facility  :ohyeah:

r0tor

You can pull more then 0.5gs fairly safely on real roads in mildly spirited driving.  The simple fact is these "journalists" have no idea on how to or have an aspiration to even drive at 6/10s.... But feel empowered to provide their opinions

12,000 RPM

There's more to providing opinions on a car than how it drives at 6+ tenths

Even you have a longer list of criteria (otherwise you would have bought something else)

MrH

Quote from: BimmerM3 on February 03, 2019, 10:44:00 PM
Any specific channels?

The Straight Pipes are crushing everybody right now IMO.  Two dudes, one focuses on infotainment and general cabin typically, the other guy is more your conventional enthusiast.  Their videos are really well edited, get straight to the point, and give you two perspectives on what it's like to drive.  They play off each other really well, and are pretty entertaining too.  They've got a few schticks that are fun.

If you want a super nerdy, Consumer Reports style analysis of everything about the car, Alex on Autos is probably the best for that.

Chris Harris is the best driving track reviewer.

Doug Demuro is fun for rare cars.

The Smoking Tire podcast with other car reviewers is great to just listen to general auto blabble.  I wish Johnny Lieberman & Matt Farah would just do a regularly scheduled podcast just talking about what they're driving.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

r0tor

As much as the Straight Pipes can be entertaining - they are both a bunch of driving newbs... As are most auto "journalists"

If you want to review cars, at least get some amount of damn driving training.

FoMoJo

If I want information of a specific vehicle, I just google it and read as many of the articles as I feel like.  They don't all say the same thing.

As for videos, they are, occasionally helpful, but most presenters are just plain irritating.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

MX793

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 04, 2019, 07:10:42 AM
This might be relevant if you are buying your Giulia to use as a track car, but if you are trying to trigger the secret G meter display on the street.........................

Not to say most auto journalists aren't shit but if their audience is only driving cars on the street what's the value of taking the car to a race track?

Again though CR has its own test track and facility  :ohyeah:

If you're pushing hard enough to register meaningful gs on the street (or off, in most cases), your eyes should be ahead of you, not on the instrument cluster watching the little g meter.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

MrH

Quote from: r0tor on February 04, 2019, 08:09:09 AM
As much as the Straight Pipes can be entertaining - they are both a bunch of driving newbs... As are most auto "journalists"

I don't need Chris Harris to tell me what a Santa Fe is like to drive :rolleyes:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

12,000 RPM

Quote from: r0tor on February 04, 2019, 08:09:09 AM

Why? Most people don't give a shit about at the limit feel or whatever. What value does "driving training" have to a typical mom looking at a compact crossover?

GoCougs

Quote from: MrH on February 04, 2019, 08:01:52 AM
The Straight Pipes are crushing everybody right now IMO.  Two dudes, one focuses on infotainment and general cabin typically, the other guy is more your conventional enthusiast.  Their videos are really well edited, get straight to the point, and give you two perspectives on what it's like to drive.  They play off each other really well, and are pretty entertaining too.  They've got a few schticks that are fun.

If you want a super nerdy, Consumer Reports style analysis of everything about the car, Alex on Autos is probably the best for that.

Chris Harris is the best driving track reviewer.

Doug Demuro is fun for rare cars.

The Smoking Tire podcast with other car reviewers is great to just listen to general auto blabble.  I wish Johnny Lieberman & Matt Farah would just do a regularly scheduled podcast just talking about what they're driving.

I love The Straight Pipes. Such delightful, sunny and content Canadians. I also do Redline Reviews, Matt Maran Motoring, and some stuff on M/T on Demand such as Engine Masters, Hotrod Garage, and Roadkill.

Most print auto journalism is not very good. Not sure if it got worse. I remember C/D being far more biting now it's sorta dorky. M/T has always been sorta dorky/CR-ish. R&T has always been on the fringes.

Xer0

You guys really aren't giving Savagegeese enough credit.  Dude is probably the best independent Youtuber when it comes to reviews, imo.  His underbody and chassis walkthroughs are pretty fun and unique in the genre.

cawimmer430

Motor Authority is pretty good. Quick and efficient articles.

www.motorauthority.com
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

MrH

Quote from: GoCougs on February 04, 2019, 09:02:32 AM
I love The Straight Pipes. Such delightful, sunny and content Canadians. I also do Redline Reviews, Matt Maran Motoring, and some stuff on M/T on Demand such as Engine Masters, Hotrod Garage, and Roadkill.

Most print auto journalism is not very good. Not sure if it got worse. I remember C/D being far more biting now it's sorta dorky. M/T has always been sorta dorky/CR-ish. R&T has always been on the fringes.

Wooooah.  How can you stand Redline Reviews or Matt Maran?  I cannot stand either one.  Neither is insightful, most verbose, repetitive descriptions ever.  Reviews are just drawn out to eternity to try to maximize ad revenue.  Just the worst.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

r0tor

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 04, 2019, 08:44:34 AM
Why? Most people don't give a shit about at the limit feel or whatever. What value does "driving training" have to a typical mom looking at a compact crossover?

Then why are they testing performance cars and not just minivans?

Obviously it's because nobody would watch them because the subject matter is boring as hell.  So instead we fill up the interwebs with "reviews" of cars they can't even drive hard enough get get a feel for it.

BimmerM3

Quote from: Rockraven on February 04, 2019, 06:10:48 AM
The only vids I really watch are Leno's Garage. I don't watch new car reviews.

The problem with most YT car reviews (and YT in general) is that they reward long videos with better payback for the content creators. So most of the good reviewers end up with 20-30 minute videos, which I don't care enough to watch unless it's a car I might be interested in purchasing.

YT is also a horrible format for industry news, for similar reasons. You end up with a bunch of 10 minute long videos that contain one piece of factual information 2 minutes in and a bunch of random commentary about that.

Quote from: CaminoRacer on February 03, 2019, 10:41:01 PM
I hate videos. I don't have time for them most of the day and/or don't want to turn the sound on. Articles are skimmable and don't require sound.

+1. Or they're just shorter to begin with.

MrH

Quote from: Xer0 on February 04, 2019, 09:10:10 AM
You guys really aren't giving Savagegeese enough credit.  Dude is probably the best independent Youtuber when it comes to reviews, imo.  His underbody and chassis walkthroughs are pretty fun and unique in the genre.

Guy takes himself waaaaaaaaay too seriously.  It's like a corny drama every time.  Can't stand him. He sounds like he's impersonating Matthew Mcconaughey in a Lincoln commercial.  I like his editing and camera work, and his underbody shots, but that's about it.  He's terrible as an actual host.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

MX793

Quote from: MrH on February 04, 2019, 10:03:17 AM
Guy takes himself waaaaaaaaay too seriously.  It's like a corny drama every time.  Can't stand him. He sounds like he's impersonating Matthew Mcconaughey in a Lincoln commercial.  I like his editing and camera work, and his underbody shots, but that's about it.  He's terrible as an actual host.

Yeah, production value is great, as is his knowledge, but his presentation is way too serious.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5