New Peugeot 208

Started by 2o6, February 25, 2019, 10:21:41 AM

2o6

I love it. It's clearly a callback to the 205 with respect to shape.

Power comes from a series of 1.2T 3cyl gas engines, or a generic diesel option. The Gas engine has three states of tune; 75HP (5MT), 100HP (6MT, 8AT) or 130HP (8AT)

Also notable is the "e208" which comes with a 50kw/h battery!

https://www.motor1.com/news/306662/2019-peugeot-208-revealed/

2o6

Man, some of the detailing and surfacing on the interior is WILD.

Payman

Oh man that's fantastic. Not sure about the vertical lights on the front, but otherwise I really like it.

FoMoJo

Looks nice.  Curves are always more appealing than crinkles.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Payman

I wonder if Peugeot and Citroen are seriously looking at a North American return to fill the void left by Ford/GM/Chrysler abandoning the small car marketplace. There might be somewhat of a keen market for small boutique cars. I know in Canada there is. I'd like to see this come over with a GTI version, with about 160 hp and a manual.

2o6

Quote from: Rockraven on February 25, 2019, 10:57:20 AM
I wonder if Peugeot and Citroen are seriously looking at a North American return to fill the void left by Ford/GM/Chrysler abandoning the small car marketplace. There might be somewhat of a keen market for small boutique cars. I know in Canada there is. I'd like to see this come over with a GTI version, with about 160 hp and a manual.

FWIW, PSA actually just opened a North American office in Atlanta, about a year ago.

2o6

I will say that the rear door portal does look kind of tiny.

12,000 RPM

The French continually lay to waste the idea that good design is expensive. Renault still has my heart though :wub: But this is nice.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MX793

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 25, 2019, 02:12:34 PM
The French continually lay to waste the idea that good design is expensive. Renault still has my heart though :wub: But this is nice.

I guess if you're going to have thoroughly underwhelming powertrains, you may as well put your effort in design.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Laconian

Quote from: 2o6 on February 25, 2019, 10:24:09 AM
Man, some of the detailing and surfacing on the interior is WILD.

This is a production design?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

2o6

Quote from: Laconian on February 25, 2019, 10:16:39 PM
This is a production design?

Yep. This isn't a concept, this car goes on sale in a few weeks.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MX793 on February 25, 2019, 07:08:17 PM
I guess if you're going to have thoroughly underwhelming powertrains, you may as well put your effort in design.
In the EU these powertrains are average. I rented 3 cars during my time there... I don't know if their total HP adds up to the 327 I had in the G. But none of them felt underpowered in traffic, even at my normal ~80-85 MPH cruising speeds.

Only time I wished for more power was the N/A 1.2l Panda in the mountains. Would have been nice to have a turbo, even diesel, at altitude.

Plus we have cars like the Versa, Prius etc. here. Not like the ~120HP 4s in compacts are setting the world on fire

MX793

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 26, 2019, 06:33:19 AM
In the EU these powertrains are average. I rented 3 cars during my time there... I don't know if their total HP adds up to the 327 I had in the G. But none of them felt underpowered in traffic, even at my normal ~80-85 MPH cruising speeds.

Only time I wished for more power was the N/A 1.2l Panda in the mountains. Would have been nice to have a turbo, even diesel, at altitude.

Plus we have cars like the Versa, Prius etc. here. Not like the ~120HP 4s in compacts are setting the world on fire

And yet a 140 hp Civic is too slow...

The comment wasn't specific to this car.  Peugeot, and the French automakers in general, put out mediocre engines.  Not entirely their fault, as government regulation in France hugely shaped their approach to power train design.  Taxes on horsepower, taxes on displacement, displacement limits...  Very little incentive to invest much in engines.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

12,000 RPM

The point is traffic isn't the same everywhere. I could keep up with NYC traffic on a bicycle. I wouldn't dare down here. Different traffic warrants different horsepower levels. In much of the EU ~100HP in a compact is enough.

2o6

Quote from: MX793 on February 26, 2019, 09:49:38 AM
And yet a 140 hp Civic is too slow...

The comment wasn't specific to this car.  Peugeot, and the French automakers in general, put out mediocre engines.  Not entirely their fault, as government regulation in France hugely shaped their approach to power train design.  Taxes on horsepower, taxes on displacement, displacement limits...  Very little incentive to invest much in engines.

Huh??

The 1.2T is a perfectly fine engine. Also like, aside from maybe the old 1.6L Mini or a Smart car, what experience does anyone really have with French engines? They haven't been sold here in more than two decades.

Not to mention, literally all of their competitors offer engines just as slow!

2o6

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 26, 2019, 10:19:47 AM
The point is traffic isn't the same everywhere. I could keep up with NYC traffic on a bicycle. I wouldn't dare down here. Different traffic warrants different horsepower levels. In much of the EU ~100HP in a compact is enough.

Also, what?

cawimmer430

Damn, that car looks sweet. Love the inclusion of that lime green color in the digital tachometer!  :wub:

Quote from: MX793 on February 26, 2019, 09:49:38 AM
Peugeot, and the French automakers in general, put out mediocre engines.

I think that's an old stereotype and it's definitely not true anymore. And actually in the 1970s Peugeot had a reputation for producing great diesel engines that were actually refined than the rather agricultural diesel engines put out by Mercedes-Benz.

My experience with recent French engines is a Citroen DS3 THP155 and a Peugeot 308 GT SW HDI (diesel) with 180-horsepower. I found them both to be incredibly peppy, smooth and fun. The Peugeot 308 GT SW HDI in particular was very impressive. At the time I still owned the BMW and that Peugeot diesel motor was smoother, quieter and obviously more agile than the gasoline-powered 4-cylinder in my BMW.

Drive it first, then criticize.  :ohyeah:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Laconian

French engines do pretty well given their displacement constraints.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

2o6

Why are y'all typing as if no other automaker makes small engines with low HP?

MX793

Quote from: 2o6 on February 26, 2019, 11:38:33 AM

Huh??

The 1.2T is a perfectly fine engine. Also like, aside from maybe the old 1.6L Mini or a Smart car, what experience does anyone really have with French engines? They haven't been sold here in more than two decades.

Not to mention, literally all of their competitors offer engines just as slow!

Again, look beyond small cars.  Peugeot and Renault make midsize and large vehicles, no?  What's the most powerful engine that Peugeot offers in a street car?  Name one road-going Peugeot or Renault engine that would be your top choice over anything else of similar size if you were to motor swap a car.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2o6

Quote from: MX793 on February 26, 2019, 12:21:07 PM
Again, look beyond small cars.  Peugeot and Renault make midsize and large vehicles, no?  What's the most powerful engine that Peugeot offers in a street car?  Name one road-going Peugeot or Renault engine that would be your top choice over anything else of similar size if you were to motor swap a car.

But this thread is about a subcompact hatchback!

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Laconian on February 26, 2019, 12:08:46 PM
French engines do pretty well given their displacement constraints.

So you're saying a 6000# motorhome powered by a 2.2 liter naturally aspirated gasoline inline four from 1992 is not such a bad idea.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MX793 on February 26, 2019, 12:21:07 PM
When did this become the criterion?

Large cars aren't popular in France.................................. so they don't invest in them, including the engines. After the break- water? Still wet! An investigative report.

Since you mention it though, the 1.6T & 2.0T in the Renaultsport hatches are pretty good, as is Peugeot's 1.6T. Certainly no worse than the equivalent engines from literally every other mainstream manufacturer :huh:

Just say "I don't like French cars" and keep it pushing.

MX793

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 26, 2019, 01:11:45 PM
When did this become the criterion?

Large cars aren't popular in France.................................. so they don't invest in them, including the engines. After the break- water? Still wet! An investigative report.

Since you mention it though, the 1.6T & 2.0T in the Renaultsport hatches are pretty good, as is Peugeot's 1.6T. Certainly no worse than the equivalent engines from literally every other mainstream manufacturer :huh:

Just say "I don't like French cars" and keep it pushing.

Look up the definition of mediocre.
Needs more Jiggawatts