Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross - 2o6 Review

Started by 2o6, February 25, 2019, 06:55:22 PM

2o6

I was kind of bored today, so I decided to stop at my local Mitsubishi dealer and see what the Eclipse Cross is all about.

Note: Out of all the times I've done test drives at a dealer, this is the first time I've been four squared. I also think it's interesting that this dealer kept talking about how "bad credit doesn't stop us..." so maybe all the Mitsubishi myths are true, and they really are for people with shit credit.

Positives

+ I actually like the way it looks inside and out, even if the interior is a bit basic looking.

+ the 1.5T is spunky and gets out of its own way

+ pretty spacious despite that sloping roof line eating slightly into headroom

+ really aggressive warranty - 10 year, 100k mile Powertrain, and 5/60k bumper to bumper

+ Mitsubishi was throwing incentives at this car, so instead of being 27k, this car was around 22k.

+ the steering is average, maybe slightly sharper than normal

+ loads of features; blind spot monitoring, etc are included across all Model grades

+ they'll finance anyone. And the rates are better than many of the American or other Japanese automakers

Negatives

- without incentives, this is not a 28k car.

- the CVT auto has this weird lull for "shifting" that makes it feel both syrupy and jerky upon "upshifts"

- refinement, quality, and design are kind of basic, and feel a generation behind everyone else

- some of the options feel tacked on; ex the switches for the heated seats look like something from a 1992 Eagle Summit. Even my basic subcompact Chevy has more sophisticated integration of heated seats

- the touchpad for the volume control is too slow and annoying to use in general. Just give a damn volume knob and let me use the touch screen.

- it gets 25MPG city (which is mediocre), but only manages 26MPG freeway. Which is straight up bad.

- the Hyundai Kona offers more options with both pricing and engine. The Toyota CH-R is slower, but better made, and sharper to drive. The Nissan Kicks is cheaper, and beats the fuel economy of this car by literally 10MPG.

I mean, it's a significantly better car than the Outlander Sport, but it still feels like an also ran. Unless you just liked the way it looked, there are better cars. However, the warranty, ease of credit, and incentives may make it attractive despite its flaws.

Eye of the Tiger

1.5T now? Put it in the Mirage without a CVT ... the next evolution.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

MX793

Can't believe Mitsubishi is still playing the "we finance anybody" game.  That nearly bankrupted them 20 years ago.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Speed_Racer

That is way more expensive than I would have imagined!

Laconian

Bah, it's got a Aztek wedgie thing going on...

Quote from: Speed_Racer on February 25, 2019, 08:59:32 PM
That is way more expensive than I would have imagined!

:hesaid:
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

giant_mtb

Quote from: Laconian on February 25, 2019, 10:19:38 PM
Bah, it's got a Aztek wedgie thing going on...

I got to detail an Aztek for the first time last summer, and honestly, I loved that thing. A clean example would be a neat vehicle to have.

[/irrelevant]

68_427

The myths are true.  My friend just traded in his 2012 Soul on an Outlander Sport because they financed him with his less than 500 credit score.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 68_427 on February 26, 2019, 05:16:45 PM
The myths are true.  My friend just traded in his 2012 Soul on an Outlander Sport because they financed him with his less than 500 credit score.

< 500 is .... like .... you can't even .... cosigner,?

AutobahnSHO

Fun. How big are these compared to the tiny Honda & Toyota UVs?
Will

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 26, 2019, 05:35:51 PM
< 500 is .... like .... you can't even .... cosigner,?

He must have never paid a loan/CC payment in his life
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

shp4man

They wouldn't have put that strong warranty on it if they hadn't improved durability. Not that I would buy it, but I'm an old fart that hears Mitsubishi and thinks Zero.
These damn modern kids today... :muffin: What the hell is a Zero?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: shp4man on February 26, 2019, 07:41:08 PM
They wouldn't have put that strong warranty on it if they hadn't improved durability. Not that I would buy it, but I'm an old fart that hears Mitsubishi and thinks Zero.
These damn modern kids today... :muffin: What the hell is a Zero?

I doubt the warranty covers damage due to kamikaze attacks.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MX793 on February 25, 2019, 07:06:17 PM
Can't believe Mitsubishi is still playing the "we finance anybody" game.  That nearly bankrupted them 20 years ago.
Mitsu is one of many Japanese zombie companies that have no reason to exist, but do at the behest of the Japanese govt

Quote from: shp4man on February 26, 2019, 07:41:08 PM
They wouldn't have put that strong warranty on it if they hadn't improved durability.
On paper this makes sense, but in reality there is no correlation

For example Hyundai/Kia came out with their 10 year warranty on cars that are now spinning bearings and catching fire about 6-7 years later
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

cawimmer430

The exterior isn't bad-looking, but the interior looks outdated. Good review.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

giant_mtb

Quote from: cawimmer430 on March 04, 2019, 07:15:29 AM
The exterior isn't bad-looking, but the interior looks outdated. Good review.

Yeah, that steering wheel has a big late 90s/early 00s bubbly futuristic vibe.