MiaVette

Started by cawimmer430, March 02, 2019, 09:57:52 AM

cawimmer430

Looks silly.  :facepalm:

The Japanese Don't Like American Cars But They Do Love A Corvette-Inspired Mazda MX-5

Niche Japanese carmaker and coachbuilder Mitsuoka has announced that it's Corvette Stingray-inspired Rock Star has sold out.

We first told you about the Mazda MX-5 based sports car last October and were rather intrigued with what we saw. It seems that car fans in Japan were suitably impressed with the vehicle and have snapped up all 50 examples.

In order to create the Mitsuoka Rock Star, the company starts with the current Mazda MX-5 and strips away virtually every single exterior part. Next, the Corvette Stingray-esque parts are fitted, including a sharp front grille with bright chrome accents and a muscular hood. There are also bespoke side skirts, small air vents behind the front wheels, tiny circular headlights, an altered rear decklid, prominent rear arches, and four taillights.

The Rock Star manages to walk the tightrope of being a blatant rip-off and an original design quite well.

There's no big V8 in sight, however. Instead, the Rock Star retains Mazda's tiny 1.5-liter SKYACTIV-G engine pumping out 130 hp and 112 lb-ft (152 Nm) of torque. Customers can opt between a six-speed manual and a six-speed automatic 'box.

Buying an exclusive Corvette-bodied Mazda MX-5 doesn't come cheap. According to Mitsuoka, prices for the Rock Star started at ¥4,688,200 (~$42,000) and topped out at ¥5,183,600 (~$46,800). Evidently, these prices didn't dissuade buyers.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2019/02/japanese-dont-like-american-cars-like-corvette-inspired-mazda-mx-5/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Payman

I want to be horrified, but that white one looks... fantastic.  :mask:

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Rockraven on March 02, 2019, 10:05:02 AM
I want to be horrified, but that white one looks... fantastic.  :mask:

They're certainly one of the least offensive Corvette-styled things I've come across.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Soup DeVille

Quote from: CaminoRacer on March 02, 2019, 11:12:12 AM
They're certainly one of the least offensive Corvette-styled things I've come across.

That's like giving out awards for "most limbs" in the amputee ward.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 02, 2019, 11:34:59 AM
That's like giving out awards for "most limbs" in the amputee ward.

I like it
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

FoMoJo

I really don't see the point. :huh:  The Miata looks better.

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

2o6

I posted this weeks ago.

It looks fucking fantastic.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 2o6 on March 02, 2019, 11:53:07 AM
I posted this weeks ago.

It does, but I feel like it needs a tiny V8.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Payman

Quote from: 2o6 on March 02, 2019, 11:53:07 AM
I posted this weeks ago.

They should have tried harder with the front headlights though. Is the $42,000 on top of the donor Miata?

shp4man

Check out that companies little 1960 Jag sedan (saloon/whatever) ;) knockoff:

FoMoJo

Egads! :nutty:

What is the purpose of taking a classic design and making it look worse?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

shp4man

Quote from: FoMoJo on March 02, 2019, 12:42:40 PM
Egads! :nutty:

What is the purpose of taking a classic design and making it look worse?

Individuality. Exclusivity. I guess.

FoMoJo

Payman

Quote from: FoMoJo on March 02, 2019, 12:51:14 PM
Poor taste?

Dude... Japan. Have you seen their gameshows?

2o6

They're kitschy, campy versions of what are average cars.

I love them, they're endearing. Mitsuoka is great.

Quote from: Rockraven on March 02, 2019, 12:13:43 PM
They should have tried harder with the front headlights though. Is the $42,000 on top of the donor Miata?

No. It's 42k for this car, which is a rebodied Miata.

MX793

Given the car's smaller proportions, I find it almost as reminiscent of the original Opel GT as the Stingray.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

AutobahnSHO

I could totally see wanting to rock a small car around cities. We saw an NA with a pizza sign stuck on the trunk come tearing down the street tonight. Totally makes sense to want something "different" too.
Will

12,000 RPM

This is exact opposite of what I was expecting

They should make the kit for NAs.... and sell them with SBC swap kits
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

cawimmer430

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: CaminoRacer on March 02, 2019, 11:12:12 AM
:lol:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Raza

The Japanese, at least in Tokyo, love Corvettes.  I saw dozens of them, dating back to a C1, when I lived there.  Mustangs too, but I saw more Corvettes than anything else. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Soup DeVille

They love Harleys too, and old G-Vans.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Raza

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 03, 2019, 08:33:14 AM
They love Harleys too, and old G-Vans.

I didn't see that many motorcycles (I lived there mostly in winter), but outside of scooters, I mostly saw sport bikes.  I think I saw maybe one or two Harleys.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Raza  on March 03, 2019, 08:27:35 AM
The Japanese, at least in Tokyo, love Corvettes.  I saw dozens of them, dating back to a C1, when I lived there.  Mustangs too, but I saw more Corvettes than anything else. 

I'm sure they love the classic American sports cars (who doesn't!?). I think the article meant they don't like the more generic American cars, like large pickups and SUVs.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Raza  on March 03, 2019, 08:36:16 AM
I didn't see that many motorcycles (I lived there mostly in winter), but outside of scooters, I mostly saw sport bikes.  I think I saw maybe one or two Harleys.

All I know is that its extremely expensive to import them there, but there's a steady business doing so.

2o6

FoMoJo

GoCougs

Quote from: Laconian on March 02, 2019, 09:33:35 PM
ND + LS? OMG

More weight, sure, but not a huge stretch overall to make it work:

cawimmer430

Quote from: 2o6 on March 03, 2019, 09:46:00 AM
You posted in the thread, even.

https://www.carspin.club/index.php?topic=34796.0

Damn, I knew I was forgetful, but that I could be THAT forgetful... :lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de