Edmunds Full Test: Hummer H3

Started by ifcar, January 23, 2006, 02:33:59 PM

ifcar

A truck in sheep's clothing

As the trail gets steeper and steeper, rougher and rougher, all I can think about is the proximity of the nearest cell tower, and how I will describe our location to the rescue team. "We're two miles south of the big rock, just past the giant stump that looks like the head of Bob's Big Boy."

Despite my paranoia, no 911 call is necessary. The 2006 Hummer H3 gets us up, over and home, proving itself to be a real Hummer.

We had our doubts. The H3 is based on the mechanicals of the Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon pickup truck twins, which are about as cutting-edge as a rotary telephone. This thing has leaf springs for God's sake. But instead of being criticized for its crude hardware, the H3 should be praised for its undeniable off-road skills and unapologetic truckness.

Urban cowboy
Base price is only $28,935, but our test car had a big bag of optional equipment that dragged its as-tested price up to $37,920. Expensive, yes, but many of those options ? like the two-tone leather upholstery, the heated seats and the sunroof ? made the H3 livable.

More handsome than the dash in Chevrolet's Trailblazer, the H3's dashboard successfully melds Hummer bravado with style. Brushed machine-finished metal trim frames the H3's center stack; and chrome door handles and a shiny H3 badge in the middle of the thick, leather-wrapped steering wheel brighten the sporty interior. Front dual-stage airbags are standard, while roof-rail-mounted side curtain airbags are optional.

The seating position is a little awkward, forcing driver and passenger to sit with their legs splayed out in front of them, but the seats themselves are supportive and well shaped. Front passengers get nearly 42 inches of legroom, and rear passengers 35 inches. Both measurements are on par with the space available in a Jeep Grand Cherokee and a Toyota 4Runner.

Gauges look cool, and controls are generally well placed with the exception of the heated seat switches which are buried on the outboard area of the seat bottom. Rearward visibility, however, is terrible thanks to the spare tire mounted on the cargo door. This location for the heavy spare tire also dictates that the cargo door opens to the side instead of up, which can be a problem in tight city parking. Plus, the door doesn't stay open if the truck is parked on any kind of incline. Even the slightest slope is enough to cause it to close quickly with a loud slam, hopefully not taking any fingers with it.

The H3 also carries less than you'd think. Although the H3 is nearly identical in overall length and rear-seat legroom to the Grand Cherokee, the Jeep has 5 more cubic feet in its cargo hold than the H3. When the rear seats in both SUVs are folded down, that difference triples to a 15-cubic-foot advantage for the Jeep. Part of the problem is that the H3's 60/40-split rear seat doesn't fold completely flat.

Tough terrain tackler
Move beyond its leather-lined interior and fancy brushed metal trim and the H3's true nature is revealed. Macho men who want to climb rough terrain will find the H3 a willing accomplice. Over 2 feet shorter, 6 inches lower and 6.5 inches narrower than the Hummer H2, the H3 is more nimble on the trail. Also, a wide track, short overhangs, and a turning circle that's a foot tighter than a Chevrolet Malibu's improves the H3's agility. Nine inches of ground clearance help the SUV clear low ruts and rocks.

Doing the dirty work underneath is the H3's ladder-type frame, standard electronically controlled four-wheel-drive unit and traction control system. Hard-core rock crawlers will want to opt for the Off-Road package which adds LT285/75R16 rubber (larger tires than those offered on any other midsize SUV), an electronically controlled locking rear differential, a 4-to-1 two-speed transfer case that helps keep the revs up at low speeds, and specially tuned shocks.

The ride on those massive 33-inch Bridgestone tires isn't exactly compliant, but we didn't feel jostled about unnecessarily, either. It's a trucklike ride, but it's not excessively harsh.

Short on power
If there's a shortcoming, it's under the H3's hood. The truck shares the same 3.5-liter, inline five-cylinder engine found in the Chevrolet Colorado/GMC Canyon. It's rated at 220 horsepower at 5,600 rpm and 225 pound-feet of torque at 2,800, which just isn't enough muscle in a truck this size. Although the engine feels more refined in the Hummer, the H3's 0-to-60-mph time of 11 seconds means a larger engine is needed.

For the first time Hummer is offering a choice of transmissions ? a standard five-speed manual or an electronically controlled four-speed automatic. Our truck had the optional automatic which didn't disappoint on the freeway or the rocky trail. Serious off-roaders may prefer the manual for more control, but most truck enthusiasts will be satisfied with the automatic's gearing.

The combo posts a combined EPA mpg rating of 17.5. Our number during a 500-mile test was a disappointing 13 mpg.

4,700 pounds of rolling mass
Hauling down the H3's substantial 4,700-pound bulk is no easy task. Even with its four-wheel antilock disc brakes, the H3 stopped from 60 mph in a lengthy 141 feet. There was also more brake dive than we would like.

Long stopping distances aren't that uncommon for hefty SUVs, but the H3 might have earned a better mark without the deep knobby tread of its serious off-road tires.

Using the power-assisted rack and pinion steering to place the H3 between the slalom cones was equally entertaining. A maximum speed of just 56.4 mph was achieved before the H3 started to pick up its inside front tire while exhibiting major body roll. Still, this is not unusual for a truck-based SUV, and handling is better than expected out on the open road.

Like it for all the right reasons
It really doesn't matter how fashionable Hummers become, or how many Hollywood bad girls and Sports Illustrated MVPs load 'em up with dope dubs. What matters is that the Hummer H3 is a lone reed in the field of midsize SUVs. It's a truck, and it's proud of it. This is rare in the age of the soccer mom-ized SUV, and for some people, it's not a bad thing.

If you want a comfortable, carlike SUV, go buy one, there are dozens to choose from. But if it's a hard-core, go-anywhere truck that lights your fire, the 2006 Hummer H3 delivers.

Vehicle Tested:
2006 HUMMER H3 4dr SUV 4WD
MSRP of Test Vehicle: $37,920

What Works:
Go-anywhere capability, trendy interior, traditional Hummer design cues.

What Needs Work:
Low on power, less cargo capacity than competitors', poor rearward visibility, poor fuel mileage.

Bottom Line:
With a more powerful engine, the striking Hummer H3 could tackle any terrain.

SJ_GTI

QuoteIf you want a comfortable, carlike SUV, go buy one, there are dozens to choose from. But if it's a hard-core, go-anywhere truck that lights your fire, the 2006 Hummer H3 delivers.

I think that sums up the H3 pretty well. Its not trying to replace the Minivan...its built for real honest to goodness truck stuff like off-roading.

I am sure Ifcar hates it.  :lol:  

giant_mtb

ifcar

QuoteIf you want a comfortable, carlike SUV, go buy one, there are dozens to choose from. But if it's a hard-core, go-anywhere truck that lights your fire, the 2006 Hummer H3 delivers.

I think that sums up the H3 pretty well. Its not trying to replace the Minivan...its built for real honest to goodness truck stuff like off-roading.

I am sure Ifcar hates it.  :lol:
All I've said is that it is mediocre and overpriced as a family car.

J86

I spent 8 hrs straight in one, and about 18 hours over the course of two days driving and riding in one.  Seats are great if youre driving or riding four.  With three in the back however, it is worse than heinous.  The outward visibility is a complete joke.  Parallel parking this thing in dowtown Annapolis was a multiple-man effort.  While it was fun gettin' looks, nothing I would buy, ever want to own, if for no other reason than the shitty visibility and the UTTER lack of highway passing power.  Going up a hill on the freeway with a full load in this thing was just hanging on and hoping we didnt get run down form behind.

so cal cookie

I couldn't believe how big it felt inside.  It felt like it was as big as the Silverado. :ph34r:  

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

giant_mtb

QuoteI couldn't believe how big it felt inside.  It felt like it was as big as the Silverado. :ph34r:
I thought it felt small and cramped...or perhaps because the belt line was up to my eyeballs and the ceiling was 3 inches from my head.  

J86

QuoteI couldn't believe how big it felt inside.  It felt like it was as big as the Silverado. :ph34r:
You serious dude?  I thought it was TINY!  Huge on the outside, small within.

so cal cookie

QuoteI couldn't believe how big it felt inside.  It felt like it was as big as the Silverado. :ph34r:
Yeah.  I didn't sit in the back.  I just sat in the driver's seat and thought it was huge.  
Mayby it's the width that did it.  I don't know.  It just felt big.

J86

QuoteI couldn't believe how big it felt inside.? It felt like it was as big as the Silverado. :ph34r:
Yeah.  I didn't sit in the back.  I just sat in the driver's seat and thought it was huge.  
Yeah, I guess it is plenty wide, but if you spent alot of time in it you realize how cramped it is...front seats are fine I give you, but the back is heinous for long periods of time.

so cal cookie

QuoteI couldn't believe how big it felt inside.? It felt like it was as big as the Silverado. :ph34r:
Yeah, I guess it is plenty wide, but if you spent alot of time in it you realize how cramped it is...front seats are fine I give you, but the back is heinous for long periods of time.
Given you spent longer time in it, I'll believe you.
I only spent about 30 seconds in it, becuase there were better cars to waste my time in. :D  

J86

Given you spent longer time in it, I'll believe you.
I only spent about 30 seconds in it, becuase there were better cars to waste my time in. :D
true!

SJ_GTI

I still find it funny that even still the criticism this truck gets is because it doesn't make a good minivan.

"Hard to parallel park in the city!"

"Not comfortable for three people in the back!"

As for the power remark I must point out that its acceleration is on par with the H2 and faster than the H1.

If you want minivan get a minivan. If you want an off-roader get the H3.  :devil:

J86

QuoteI still find it funny that even still the criticism this truck gets is because it doesn't make a good minivan.

As for the power remark I must point out that its acceleration is on par with the H2 and faster than the H1.

If you want minivan get a minivan. If you want an off-roader get the H3.  :devil:
For all I could know, it could be the bulls nuts offroad, but I didn't get a chance to take it there!  Just sayin' what I know...but I do like to be able to see offroad too!

Either way, not something i'd get for myself.

SJ_GTI

QuoteI still find it funny that even still the criticism this truck gets is because it doesn't make a good minivan.

If you want minivan get a minivan. If you want an off-roader get the H3.  :devil:
For all I could know, it could be the bulls nuts offroad, but I didn't get a chance to take it there!  Just sayin' what I know...but I do like to be able to see offroad too!

Its not something I would ever buy either, but that doesn't mean I cannot appreciate something that was done well, which I think the H3 was.

In a more extreme sense, I would never get a Bugatti Veyron either...but it doesn't mean I can't appreciate what a good car it is.

Tom

It looks stupid.  I wish it didn't.

J86

If you want minivan get a minivan. If you want an off-roader get the H3.? :devil:

Its not something I would ever buy either, but that doesn't mean I cannot appreciate something that was done well, which I think the H3 was.

In a more extreme sense, I would never get a Bugatti Veyron either...but it doesn't mean I can't appreciate what a good car it is.
hehe if i could drop 1.2 mil on a car a Veyron would be right up there!

I think the H3 is OK- not excessively well done either though.  Once you add leather, the truck jumps to over 33 grand!  That's a lotta dough!  The thing's got great angles if you wanna hop rocks, but the fact that I still can't see shit out of the car turns me off- big time.  

In regards to the seat thing:  my own opinion is a mid-size (is that what this is classified as?) SUV should be able to seat three in RELATIVE comfort in the back.  The H3 can't: it will seat two back there just fine, but my '96 honda is more comfortable for 3!  I just thing the truck is big enough to qualify being able to seat five...

I'm torn on the styling, part of it was way too "ooooh look at me" but a part of me gets a kick outta that...

Raza

If I could drop 1.2 million on a car, the Veyron wouldn't even be on my list.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TBR

Or save $5k and get the just as capable yet more liveable Xterra.

Also:
"More handsome than the dash in Chevrolet's Trailblazer"
Talk about an understatement!

SJ_GTI

If you want minivan get a minivan. If you want an off-roader get the H3.  :devil:

Also:
The Xterra is almost as capable as the H3 (off-road) but not as nice on the inside and doesn't have nearly the road presence. Its a viable alternative but the H3 is just as viable for other people with different priorities.

My impression since the H3 came out is that since its a Hummer people have automatically assumed its a "poser" and "not a real Hummer" blah blah blah sintead of just looking at the truck. I think once they see that it is in fact probably a great truck for its purpose (Hummers aren't meant to be minivans!) they look for any nitpick they can find to show why its not as good as their "favorite."

If you don't think the H3 is for real check out this comparison test:

Trucktrend Comparison: Dodge Ram Power Wagon, Hummer H3, Toyota Land Cruiser, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Land Rover LR3, and Volkswagen Touareg.

Unfortunately the Xterra wasn't part of the test.  ;)  

wjw

Well said, I agree completely.

giant_mtb

Also:
The Xterra is almost as capable as the H3 (off-road) but not as nice on the inside and doesn't have nearly the road presence. Its a viable alternative but the H3 is just as viable for other people with different priorities.

My impression since the H3 came out is that since its a Hummer people have automatically assumed its a "poser" and "not a real Hummer" blah blah blah sintead of just looking at the truck. I think once they see that it is in fact probably a great truck for its purpose (Hummers aren't meant to be minivans!) they look for any nitpick they can find to show why its not as good as their "favorite."

If you don't think the H3 is for real check out this comparison test:

Trucktrend Comparison: Dodge Ram Power Wagon, Hummer H3, Toyota Land Cruiser, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Land Rover LR3, and Volkswagen Touareg.

Unfortunately the Xterra wasn't part of the test.  ;)
We all know the Hummer is extremely capable off-road...I've never heard anyone say otherwise or call/consider it a "poseur" Hummer.  I usually consider the people driving to be more poseurs and fags than the truck itself.  If I see a dirty Hummer, I will personally follow that guy until he stops (probably at a gas station) and personally congratulate him on driving the first off-road-dirty Hummer I've ever seen.