BMW’s Garmisch Concept Is A Modern-Day Recreation Of The Missing Original

Started by cawimmer430, May 25, 2019, 08:01:59 AM

cawimmer430

I kinda like it. The front looks like a mix between classic BMW and a Citroen SM.  :wub:

Beautiful retro interior as well.  :wub:

BMW's Garmisch Concept Is A Modern-Day Recreation Of The Missing Original

BMW has used the Concorso d'Eleganza Villa d'Este to introduce stylish concepts such as the Z4 Zagato Coupe, but this year is different as they've unveiled a modern-day recreation of the Garmisch concept.

Created by Bertone's Marcello Gandini, the original Garmisch concept was based on the BMW 2002 tii and unveiled at the 1970 Geneva Motor Show. However, it vanished following its debut.

Since the fate of the original remains a mystery, BMW had a difficult task when it came to recreating the model. This wasn't helped by the fact that few original documents related to the Garmisch still exist.

In order to overcome these difficulties, the automaker created a special team which consisted of members from BMW Classic and BMW Group Design. They poured over a "small selection of period images," which were mostly black and white, and then began transferring styling elements from the original Garmisch to the recreation. Gandini also helped the team as he provided additional information about the car which could have otherwise been lost to history.

The resulting recreation is pretty faithful to the original and Gandini said "Having seen the final car, it is hard for me to even distinguish it from the original." That's high praise from a designer, especially one who oversaw projects such as the Alfa Romeo Carabo, Lancia Stratos Zero and Lamborghini Miura during his 14 year tenure as Bertone's design director.

While the Garmisch isn't exactly beautiful, it's a sleek two-door coupe which features a controversial interpretation of BMW's iconic twin-kidney grille. The concept also has glass-covered headlights, C-pillar louvers and a honeycomb mesh cover on the rear window.

The unique styling continues in the cabin as the concept has a stylish steering wheel and a slim center stack with vertical controls. Other notable highlights include wood trim, metal accents and a glovebox which opens to reveal a large mirror.

Following its debut at Concorso d'Eleganza Villa d'Este, the Garmisch recreation will become part of the collection at the BMW Museum in Munich, Germany.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2019/05/bmws-garmisch-concept-is-a-modern-day-recreation-of-the-missing-original/

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

12,000 RPM

I am

SICK AND TIRED

of retro concepts

Manufacturers and designers have run out of ideas.... so they just remake something old to leverage nostalgia

When all the "retro" cars were new they didn't have anything to draw on. Whatever this is based on was brand new at some point. Auto industry is in a creative death spiral :facepalm:
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

FoMoJo

"Blind belief in authority is the greatest enemy of truth" ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Galaxy

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 25, 2019, 01:41:27 PM
I am

SICK AND TIRED

of retro concepts

Ahh.... but this is not a retro concept. This was a concept that BMW had Bertone create for the 1970 Geneva Motor Show. Certain elements such as the rear lights made it to production BMWs.

MX793

I am

SICK AND TIRED

of retro concepts

Manufacturers and designers have run out of ideas.... so they just remake something old to leverage nostalgia

When all the "retro" cars were new they didn't have anything to draw on. Whatever this is based on was brand new at some point. Auto industry is in a creative death spiral :facepalm:

Not a retro concept.  It's a recreation/replica of a historical concept car that was lost.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

veeman

Whatever.  It looks cool.  The stereo inside is flipped 90 degrees.

MexicoCityM3

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Payman

I am

SICK AND TIRED

of retro concepts

We need MORE retro, but retro done right. Bring back some elements that made cars cool.

Payman

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on May 25, 2019, 04:21:45 PM
Not really a fan.

Without the silly nostrils and rear window louvers, it'd be pretty cool. Love the interior.

MX793

Quote from: Rockraven on May 25, 2019, 06:28:27 PM
We need MORE retro, but retro done right. Bring back some elements that made cars cool.

Yeah, like pop up headlamps and T tops.  And wild graphics and stripes.  Wire wheel hubcaps.  Whitewalls.  Automatic seatbelts.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Rockraven on May 25, 2019, 06:28:27 PM
Its 2019 not 1970

In 1970 they weren't making retro concepts or tributes for 1919 models

Quote from: MX793 on May 25, 2019, 06:34:00 PM
Yeah, like pop up headlamps and T tops.  And wild graphics and stripes.  Wire wheel hubcaps.  Whitewalls.  Automatic seatbelts.
All this stuff was new at some point... lets make some more new design elements
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MX793

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 26, 2019, 06:02:59 AM
Its 2019 not 1970

Oh?  Landau roofs, which were all the rage in the 70s, were a nod to landau-style half-convertible cars from the 1920s and 30s, which were in turn inspired by horse-drawn carriages of the late 19th and early 20th century.  Pop up or concealed headlamps actually first showed up in the mid 1930s.  Were reasonably popular in the later 60s and early 70s, then were a huge trend in the 80s and early 90s.
Needs more Jiggawatts

FoMoJo

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 26, 2019, 06:02:59 AM
Its 2019 not 1970

All this stuff was new at some point... lets make some more new design elements
I would like to see some new design elements that are attractive.  I'm not saying that there haven't been any, but so many of the new design elements are more of an eyesore than an enhancement to the attractiveness of the vehicle.

Payman

I'm not talking about tacky add-ons from the malaise era. What design elements made the Jag E-Type so desirable? The Miura? Some of the original Pony cars? A good example of retro done right, IMHO, is the Challenger. Same design 11 years running now, and it's still outselling the Camaro.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Rockraven on May 26, 2019, 09:04:20 AM
I'm not talking about tacky add-ons from the malaise era. What design elements made the Jag E-Type so desirable? The Miura? Some of the original Pony cars? A good example of retro done right, IMHO, is the Challenger. Same design 11 years running now, and it's still outselling the Camaro.
Same with the Mustang, same basic design; or moreso.

As for E-Type and the Miura, it's the curves, we respond to curves in a very primal way.  Same with the 275 GTB.

MX793

Quote from: Rockraven on May 26, 2019, 09:04:20 AM

Rear window louvers?
Needs more Jiggawatts

Payman

Quote from: MX793 on May 26, 2019, 09:25:34 AM
Rear window louvers?

The Mustang is the only car I can think of that it can look good on.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)