Dealership iPad replacing face time

Started by veeman, June 22, 2019, 09:54:38 AM

veeman

I go to the Subaru dealer and Infiniti dealer, which are in different states and have different ownership.  At about the same time, they started this iPad thing. 

At the Infiniti dealership I used to go into the indoor service lane and get ushered into the service guy's office where he would talk with me.  Ask me what I need done.  I'd sign some forms.  Then while at breakfast at a nearby diner he would call me and tell me if anything else needs attention and my approval.  Rear brakes need to be replaced.  OK.  Wipers need to be replaced.  No thanks. Etc. Then he'd call me when my car was done. 

Now after I go to the service lane I get ushered to the waiting room.  A few minutes later the service guy comes to me with an iPad and asks what I need done.  He then has me check off some boxes on the iPad.  Then while at breakfast I get a text which says to click on a link.  The link takes me to a website which lists what they found that needs work on my car, how much each of those things will cost, and a check box next to each individual item that I approve them doing.  Then I have to press submit.  So I find out that one of the things I need is that the catalytic converter needs to be replaced, costs $2379, but is covered under my extended warranty.  So I check the "approve" box and it takes me to another webpage which asks me what day and time I can schedule this in the future because the part has to be ordered.  It says I'll get a loaner.  So I'm getting a little weirded out because I haven't spoken with anyone, and I call the service guy and get verification that indeed my CAT is bad and that it's fully covered under my warranty.  He says to go ahead and schedule replacement of the CAT using the web link.  When everything is done, the service guy again brings the iPad over to me in the waiting room and goes over everything that was done and then takes me over to the billing counter.

The Subaru dealership started doing similar type things. 

I kinda like this new way of doing business because every cost is outlined and you have an electronic trail of everything you approve or decline.  It makes things much more efficient too.  Do I miss the chitchat.  No. 

NomisR

This seems to be much better than what it was before and a lot of CYA by the dealerships too because they can say you approved of everything too.  There's not a lot that you can legally blame on the dealership for.

shp4man

Cats are covered by federally mandated emissions warranty, either 7 years, 70,000 miles or 8/80 depending on year.
You shouldn't have to pay a deductible for that repair.

AutobahnSHO

Yeah it's all great till hackers get in
-add a few bucks to every estimate and skim the profits
-switch the repairpalce's orders and skim profits from the other ordering
-whatever

Plus I don't touch other peoples' touchscreens. Gross.
Will

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: shp4man on June 22, 2019, 10:38:29 AM
Cats are covered by federally mandated emissions warranty, either 7 years, 70,000 miles or 8/80 depending on year.

My cat is neutered, so he isn't covered anymore.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

veeman

Quote from: shp4man on June 22, 2019, 10:38:29 AM

Mine is a 2013 with 100,000 miles on it.  I bought it certified and paid for an Infiniti sponsored extended warranty that still covers it. No deductible.  I've used it three times so far and it's paid for itself. 

r0tor

So how do you question any of the suggested repairs?
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

SVT_Power

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on June 22, 2019, 11:02:28 AM
My cat is neutered, so he isn't covered anymore.

Should've gone to a manufacturer approved shop.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

veeman

Quote from: r0tor on June 24, 2019, 07:18:10 PM
So how do you question any of the suggested repairs?

Before pressing accept or decline on the tab and submitting it, you would either call the service tech or walk up to the service counter. 

In the past I would always get a phone call or the service guy would come to wear I'm sitting and let me know what they found.  Then I'm sort of on the spot because I either say yay or nay right then and somewhere in that short conversation they tell me the price.

Here, everything is written out with a price next to it and no one is immediately waiting for a response.  I can mull it over in my head, make some phone calls, etc and then decide what I want to do. 

BimmerM3

Quote from: veeman on June 25, 2019, 09:01:32 AM
Before pressing accept or decline on the tab and submitting it, you would either call the service tech or walk up to the service counter. 

In the past I would always get a phone call or the service guy would come to wear I'm sitting and let me know what they found.  Then I'm sort of on the spot because I either say yay or nay right then and somewhere in that short conversation they tell me the price.

Here, everything is written out with a price next to it and no one is immediately waiting for a response.  I can mull it over in my head, make some phone calls, etc and then decide what I want to do. 

I recently had a bunch of work done on the Explorer, and the shop called to explain everything before they did the work, but they also offered to email a PDF and let me look it over before giving the OK. I guess there's that loss of traceability that I definitely authorized the services, but otherwise I liked it.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: veeman on June 25, 2019, 09:01:32 AM

That does seem nice.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV