C&D's time with the Giulia QF concludes

Started by 12,000 RPM, June 27, 2019, 09:58:42 AM

FoMoJo

Quote from: CaminoRacer on June 27, 2019, 02:17:57 PM
I'm hoping to get 10k out of my RE-71Rs but we'll see.
Seeing that you track it, well sort of, it's worth it. 
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

FoMoJo

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 27, 2019, 02:20:24 PM
I agree.  That's why my tires are hard and have (well, had, when new) 1/2" deep tread. :lol:
The Michelins on my wife's '09 Escape, that my daughter and boyfriend use, though not that often, are the originals.  I know I should insist that they replace them and I have, but they still have a lot of tread.

As for super sticky, unless you're doing some serious street racing, it's just a big waste.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

giant_mtb

Quote from: FoMoJo on June 27, 2019, 02:28:23 PM
The Michelins on my wife's '09 Escape, that my daughter and boyfriend use, though not that often, are the originals.  I know I should insist that they replace them and I have, but they still have a lot of tread.

As for super sticky, unless you're doing some serious street racing, it's just a big waste.

Meh, if you've got the $, I don't see an issue with it.  Tires are the only thing that touch the road and the feel of a tire can make a big difference in driving, even just everyday driving.

MX793

Quote from: FoMoJo on June 27, 2019, 12:45:16 PM
Really?  You had to get new tires after 12 to 15K?

I got less than 9k out of the original Pirellis on the Mustang.  Fronts and rears were both down to near the wear bars.  I've got about 7k on the rears of my second set of tires and they're more than half gone.  Second set of fronts had to be replaced after 4k miles due to damage, so I'm on my third pair of those.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

FoMoJo

12,000 RPM

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

FoMoJo

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 27, 2019, 07:51:28 PM
Cheaper than boating/flying/heroin.
How about proper street tires and a set of track tires for those who actually go to the track.

Submariner

Quote from: Laconian on June 27, 2019, 01:18:24 PM
C&D's site is nigh-unreadable, it's an ad every fucking paragraph with a video on the side.

And they massacred the forums...err...backfires section.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

12,000 RPM

Quote from: FoMoJo on June 27, 2019, 07:55:46 PM
How about proper street tires and a set of track tires for those who actually go to the track.
Why does it matter? It's not your money  :lol:

IMO UHP A/S is enough for primarily street driven cars that see cold weather. If you need more grip just get wider wheels and tires.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Payman

The Continentals that came with my Focus lasted almost 100,000 kms. I replaced them with Goodyears, and one day on the highway during a rainstorm I noticed the car was a bit squirrelly in the wet. Had a look at the tires when I pulled into a rest stop, and I was shocked to see they were worn beyond the wear bars and almost bald. They lasted less than 25,000 km. I have another set of Goodyears now but a different type, but only because I got them for almost nothing under warranty. 6000 kms on them so far, and I'm keeping an eye on them.

MexicoCityM3

The wear they report is perfectly normal for that type of car and tires with street driving.

I love the QF but yes I am scared of the reliability and in Mexico even more so because of the even less capable dealer network here. In comparison, my E90 M3 spent no more than a week in the shop for unscheduled maintenance over 5 years/50K miles. My E46 maybe a month or two over 13 years/65K miles.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

giant_mtb

Man, you're super concerned with other people's tires.

MexicoCityM3

These class of cars are emotional purchases. You CAN feel the difference a better, softer tire makes in sporty street driving. To buyers of these class of cars, that can easily matter enough to eat the additional cost (on top of the already irrational cost of the car itself).
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

SJ_GTI

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on June 28, 2019, 07:41:19 AM
These class of cars are emotional purchases. You CAN feel the difference a better, softer tire makes in sporty street driving. To buyers of these class of cars, that can easily matter enough to eat the additional cost (on top of the already irrational cost of the car itself).

Absolutely you do. When I go from winter back to summer tires it makes a pretty big difference in how the car handles...and the winter tires are use are performance winter tires (they are basically equal to all season tires in the winter).

GoCougs

Couldn't agree more - these types of tires are ridiculous. No on needs that and extremely few can legit afford it.

FoMoJo

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 28, 2019, 05:31:20 AM
Why does it matter? It's not your money  :lol:

IMO UHP A/S is enough for primarily street driven cars that see cold weather. If you need more grip just get wider wheels and tires.
Just making a point.  I'm actually pretty surprised that tires of this type wear so quickly.

How do they do in the rain?

FoMoJo

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 28, 2019, 07:34:32 AM
Man, you're super concerned with other people's tires.
Man, I'm just having a discussion.  Surprised that some tires wear so quick even if they are street/track tires.

MrH

Michelin Pilot Super Sports (and now Pilot Sport 4S) are worth every penny.  They're made of an alien material.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Laconian

Quote from: GoCougs on June 28, 2019, 09:04:16 AM
Couldn't agree more - these types of tires are ridiculous. No on needs that and extremely few can legit afford it.

It is an $80,000 car with poor residuals. The buyers go into it knowing they're taking a bath. What's a few thousand dollars more? :huh:
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Laconian

Quote from: MrH on June 28, 2019, 09:27:02 AM
Michelin Pilot Super Sports (and now Pilot Sport 4S) are worth every penny.  They're made of an alien material.

I bought them for my Infiniti and only put about 6,000 miles on them... but the buyer of my car didn't bat an eye when I told her about them :cry:

MrH

Quote from: Laconian on June 28, 2019, 11:06:03 AM
I bought them for my Infiniti and only put about 6,000 miles on them... but the buyer of my car didn't bat an eye when I told her about them :cry:

I thought it was all hype, until I got them on the BRZ.  Now I've got the new 4S on the S2000.  Great in the wet, even better in the dry.  Below 50 degrees they get really sketchy though.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Soup DeVille

Quote from: FoMoJo on June 27, 2019, 12:00:55 PM
Obviously, the Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio is not an appliance.  If you want an appliance, get a Camcord, Hyunkia, whatever. :huh:

Its not a vintage Ferrari either.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Lebowski

I had the super sports on the M3 and replaced with the 4S, both were great. I think I got like 12k miles out of the SS, not a huge deal to me as I'm such a low mileage driver (think I put about 15k on that car over 3 years). If I drove more miles that would be a bigger issue, I don't think I'd want to buy new tires every year.

Laconian

How much does it cost to get tires swapped? Maybe my OEM tires with lots of life in them (lol I never drive) could be my winter tires... :hmm:

BimmerM3

Quote from: Laconian on June 28, 2019, 11:05:30 AM
It is an $80,000 car with poor residuals. The buyers go into it knowing they're taking a bath. What's a few thousand dollars more? :huh:

Gougs just likes to flex his frugality muscles whenever possible.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 28, 2019, 11:17:25 AM
Its not a vintage Ferrari either.
Well, it's not even a vintage Alfa either.  Kinda nice that they're making a good effort again at producing a car for the enthusiast.  Their saying used to be "Nothing handles like an Alfa."  Might be getting close to that again.

MX793

Quote from: Laconian on June 28, 2019, 11:25:34 AM
How much does it cost to get tires swapped? Maybe my OEM tires with lots of life in them (lol I never drive) could be my winter tires... :hmm:

Probably about $25 a tire to swap and balance.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

BimmerM3

Quote from: Laconian on June 28, 2019, 11:25:34 AM

I haven't had to do it for a few years (I have two sets of wheels now, so I just swap them myself), but it looks like it cost me $64 to get my winters mounted at the end of 2016.

giant_mtb

Yeah, my guy charges $60 for a swap 'n balance.