C&D's time with the Giulia QF concludes

Started by 12,000 RPM, June 27, 2019, 09:58:42 AM

12,000 RPM

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

r0tor

Never get an early first year high performance model of anything
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Xer0

The Alfa QF is like that smoking hot 9/10 that you got with, that you know will ruin your life if you let her, but can't help thinking about whenever you're not with her.  And then when you are, its good for like 20 minutes and then just falls apart in glorious fashion.  And as you make up your mind to leave her and walk away, you look back and see just how sexy she looks and she's back in your mind again as you start to jump through all the hoops of how you could make it work next time.

FoMoJo

Obviously, the Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio is not an appliance.  If you want an appliance, get a Camcord, Hyunkia, whatever. :huh:
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

SJ_GTI

Quote from: FoMoJo on June 27, 2019, 12:00:55 PM
Obviously, the Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio is not an appliance.  If you want an appliance, get a Camcord, Hyunkia, whatever. :huh:

Meh, its not that simple. If I had half (or even a third) as much shop time with my car (which I don't consider just an "appliance") I would be very irritated and would have sold it and absolutely gone with a different make.

BimmerM3

I mean, it's not an exotic either. It's an entry-level sport-luxury sedan; same class as the 3er M3. I'd expect higher long term maintenance costs than a mainstreamer, but spending literally 18% of it's time in the shop is absurd.

EDIT: Upgraded to M3 since this is about the QF.

2o6

My friend lemon law'Ed his Giulia. And my other friend says his Giulia has given him nothing but problems.

12,000 RPM

Obviously, the Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio is not an appliance. 
Yes, appliances work more than 85% of the time, as does all of the GQF's competition :lol:

It's not like this is an Ariel Atom or something. It's a sedan with an automatic transmission. If it's not reliable enough for daily duty what's the point?

FoMoJo

Quote from: SJ_GTI on June 27, 2019, 12:04:34 PM
Meh, its not that simple. If I had half (or even a third) as much shop time with my car (which I don't consider just an "appliance") I would be very irritated and would have sold it and absolutely gone with a different make.
If you wear the tires out at 12 to 15 k, it kinda tells  you how the car was treated.  Pidlin' to work and back is entirely different.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

SJ_GTI

Quote from: FoMoJo on June 27, 2019, 12:20:15 PM
If you wear the tires out at 12 to 15 k, it kinda tells  you how the car was treated.  Pidlin' to work and back is entirely different.

The tires on my S4 would wear at about that pace. Stickier tires just tend to wear fast.

BimmerM3

Quote from: FoMoJo on June 27, 2019, 12:20:15 PM

I don't track or autox the S2000, but I redline it damn near every time I drive it and take it on some fairly hard drives on twisty mountain roads. I've had literally nothing go wrong with it.

FoMoJo

Quote from: SJ_GTI on June 27, 2019, 12:29:21 PM
The tires on my S4 would wear at about that pace. Stickier tires just tend to wear fast.
Really?  You had to get new tires after 12 to 15K?

FoMoJo

Quote from: BimmerM3 on June 27, 2019, 12:38:29 PM
I don't track or autox the S2000, but I redline it damn near every time I drive it and take it on some fairly hard drives on twisty mountain roads. I've had literally nothing go wrong with it.
Other than the differential, it seems that most of the problems had to do with electronics.  Can't really blame a car for poor programming.

As for the S2000, imo, it's a jewel.  Never sell it.

giant_mtb

Quote from: FoMoJo on June 27, 2019, 12:45:16 PM

Sporty/grippy tires have tread that isn't as deep as your average all-season tire and they are made of softer, grippier compounds that wear out faster.

GoCougs

Tires and brakes that wear super quick? Lousy MPG? Expensive maintenance service? Worn-out clutch at 50,000 miles? These are types of things that are forgivable for a 500+ hp performance vehicle. ALL vehicles should be an appliance when it comes to things like fuel pumps, sensors and bearings - that stuff was figured out decades ago. Ze Germans and le Italianos just can't seem to pull it together.

FoMoJo

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 27, 2019, 12:55:46 PM
Sporty/grippy tires have tread that isn't as deep as your average all-season tire and they are made of softer, grippier compounds that wear out faster.
Obviously, but 12 to 15K?

GoCougs

For a hardcore summer tire, easily, even with normal driving. An R-compound tire like on the ZL1 1LE, GT350R or Z/28, will be done in well less than 10,000 miles (and within just a couple of hours of track use). Peruse TireRack for owner reports of tire life for ultra hi-po tires.

SJ_GTI

I went through 3 sets of summer tires and two sets of winter tires on my Audi before I sold it. I didn't track it or anything. It had something like 60k or 70k miles when I traded it in on my current car.

I suspect I am on the last season of my current car's summer tires. I am at about 15k currently, but keep in mind I have winter tires for 1/3 of the year (December-March) so I have probably only put about 10-12k miles on these tires.

r0tor

It should have been mentioned that early 2017 models had some significant issues that were fixed with ECU issues.  Their experience would be.mich different with a 2018+ model.

The "service electronic throttle control" CEL they complain about in Alfa land is just the generic check engine light.  It can illuminate for something bad or simply not closing the hood properly or significant left foot braking and gas being applied (fixed in a software update). It will auto reset when a CO diction is no longer detected.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

MrH

Quote from: r0tor on June 27, 2019, 10:03:56 AM
Never get an early first year high performance model of anything

These issues aren't really assembly related, it's design related.  You can't convince me they're going to make design changes to fix all of these issues in the first year.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Laconian

C&D's site is nigh-unreadable, it's an ad every fucking paragraph with a video on the side.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

GoCougs

Owner reviews from TireRack for the tires (though most are not for the Alfa):

Owners complain that these tires don't last, but mine have at least 50% of the tread left at 5,000 miles and maybe more.

I couldnt believe they lasted over 12k miles!

I was skeptical about the tire life being a 60 wear rated tire, but to my surprise, it appears like they may last about 12-14k miles, which is excellent for a streetable track tire.

When I switched over to winter tires the rears were worn down to the wear bars but the fronts still had some life left. That was only with 2300 miles on them with zero track time.

You can probably expect about 100 miles of track time on a set of these tires--you had better buy a whole pallet of them.

As expected these tires wore quickly, but I would expect more traction from an r-compound that wears this quickly (replacing after 4000 miles).

FoMoJo

Quote from: SJ_GTI on June 27, 2019, 01:11:13 PM
I went through 3 sets of summer tires and two sets of winter tires on my Audi before I sold it. I didn't track it or anything. It had something like 60k or 70k miles when I traded it in on my current car.

I suspect I am on the last season of my current car's summer tires. I am at about 15k currently, but keep in mind I have winter tires for 1/3 of the year (December-March) so I have probably only put about 10-12k miles on these tires.
Was it worth having such fast wearing tires just to drive to work and back?

SJ_GTI

Quote from: FoMoJo on June 27, 2019, 01:22:14 PM
Was it worth having such fast wearing tires just to drive to work and back?

Yep

FoMoJo

BimmerM3

Quote from: Laconian on June 27, 2019, 01:18:24 PM
C&D's site is nigh-unreadable, it's an ad every fucking paragraph with a video on the side.

Damn, really? Sounds like you need to up your ad blocker game. :lol:

Other than a single "related videos" thing after the 2nd paragraph, my only ads are at the very bottom of the page (and are just links to other C&D stories, so they're acceptable).

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Laconian on June 27, 2019, 01:18:24 PM

The ad load of free news sites is becoming unbearable. C&D is actually not that bad in the context of the whole spectrum.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: GoCougs on June 27, 2019, 01:04:29 PM
For a hardcore summer tire, easily, even with normal driving. An R-compound tire like on the ZL1 1LE, GT350R or Z/28, will be done in well less than 10,000 miles (and within just a couple of hours of track use). Peruse TireRack for owner reports of tire life for ultra hi-po tires.

I'm hoping to get 10k out of my RE-71Rs but we'll see.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

giant_mtb

Quote from: FoMoJo on June 27, 2019, 01:25:35 PM
That's nuts.

I agree.  That's why my tires are hard and have (well, had, when new) 1/2" deep tread. :lol: