Where does the coolant go?

Started by Rupert, January 24, 2006, 11:09:05 AM

Rupert

When you (or I, for that matter) turn off the engine, does the coolant remain in the block and various pipes and hoses, or does it drain into the radiator/resevoir? The white whale decided it would be a good idea to poke a hole in a coolant hose and do a little bit of steaming. I don't have a place to really work on it right now, but if I don't have to drain the whole system to change a hose, I'll prolly do it myself. Thanks as always!
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Pancor

Your whole coolant system should be full of coolant at all times, with the exception of the overflow reservoir.    Just remove the hose (your floor will be covered with coolant), put the new one on, and fill & bleed the system.    

Rupert

That's what I figured...

I don't have a driveway and I don't have a garage. I have a parking lot and my lease says I can't work on my car in it. Therefore, I'm not gonna go to all that trouble unless the mechanic charges a lot. :lol:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

sparkplug

Draining the radiator will release a lot of fluid. However there would still be fluid in the block. Be careful about where you drain your fluid. Dogs and cats love the smell of antifreeze but it tends to put a killing on the animals. And remember if a policeman sees you making a mess he might write you a ticket so big you wished you'd had a mechanic do it.

Good luck.

Raza

QuoteThat's what I figured...

I don't have a driveway and I don't have a garage. I have a parking lot and my lease says I can't work on my car in it. Therefore, I'm not gonna go to all that trouble unless the mechanic charges a lot. :lol:
There are always mall parking lots.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ifcar

footoflead

QuoteWhat's the white whale?
His 'truck'  ;)

come on..even i figured that one out

lol :P  
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

ifcar

I thought that at first, but it didn't make as much sense in context. Figured it couldn't hurt to ask.  

Raza

What did you think, Moby Dick?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ifcar

"The car poked a hole in the hose."

Is that really how most people would express a coolant leak?

Rupert

C'mon iffy, look at my sig... It's big, it's white. It's name is even Moby. (And if you think of the musician, it still works-- it's white and it has no hair ;) ). What else could it be?

I guess I'm not most people.

It's looking like a lot of money for a mechanic to replace the busted hose and the upper and lower radiator hoses (which are in need of replacing or they'll be the next to leak). But I know how hard that lower hose is to replace... (It's quite burried in there). Hrm, we'll see I guess...

Pancor

QuoteThat's what I figured...

Loosening and tightening hose clamps isn't a lot of work.... :wave:

And if you're worried about a place to do it, take it and a few jugs of premixed coolant to wherever that pic in your sigwas taken and do it there.