Someone has a worse track day than me

Started by 12,000 RPM, July 12, 2019, 08:04:57 PM

12,000 RPM

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

r0tor

Holy hell!  What is that, a $250k mistake?

That was also a fairly ruthless track day... Yeesh
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

BimmerM3

Quote from: r0tor on July 12, 2019, 08:39:46 PM

The cheapest GT3 is $143k new and the cheapest GT350 is $60k new, plus options and mods... yeah probably, if not much higher. I mean maybe not if you factor in depreciation and salvage value (however small that may be), but that's not the point.

AutobahnSHO

Ouch. Just was going way too fast to brake that hard/ late, and I don't get why he tried to cut the corner rather than take the outside and go off track.
Will

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

BimmerM3

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on July 13, 2019, 08:56:21 AM
Ouch. Just was going way too fast to brake that hard/ late, and I don't get why he tried to cut the corner rather than take the outside and go off track.

I think he tried to, but didn't have traction and basically just understeered through the corner.

12,000 RPM

The popular theory at TCL is that he was using his speed as a reference to brake rather than the braking markers. You'll note that on the previous lap he braked between the 3 and 2 boards, whereas on the crash lap he braked between the 2 and 1. In both cases though he hit about 153-155 MPH

Aside from the obvious stupidity of looking down at your speedo rather than the track while moving at 230 ft/s,  obviously if you get a bad exit onto the straight you need more distance to get to a certain speed

He also was clearly red misting at getting brutally gapped by the GT3 on that last straight

MX793

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 13, 2019, 10:35:51 AM
The popular theory at TCL is that he was using his speed as a reference to brake rather than the braking markers. You'll note that on the previous lap he braked between the 3 and 2 boards, whereas on the crash lap he braked between the 2 and 1. In both cases though he hit about 153-155 MPH

Aside from the obvious stupidity of looking down at your speedo rather than the track while moving at 230 ft/s,  obviously if you get a bad exit onto the straight you need more distance to get to a certain speed

He also was clearly red misting at getting brutally gapped by the GT3 on that last straight

Kind of what it looked like to me.  He was screwed up by a slower car on the turn onto the straight and didn't exit with the same speed as other times through, so he was further down the main straight before hitting 153 mph.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

GoCougs

Quote from: BimmerM3 on July 12, 2019, 11:04:12 PM
The cheapest GT3 is $143k new and the cheapest GT350 is $60k new, plus options and mods... yeah probably, if not much higher. I mean maybe not if you factor in depreciation and salvage value (however small that may be), but that's not the point.

Don't forget the lawsuit...

12,000 RPM

12,000 RPM

Quote from: r0tor on July 12, 2019, 08:39:46 PM

That was a 997 GT3

Still though I imagine getting t-boned at... 70MPH? Would render some gnarly medical bills and possibly lost income.....

FoMoJo

Quote from: MX793 on July 13, 2019, 11:00:19 AM
Kind of what it looked like to me.  He was screwed up by a slower car on the turn onto the straight and didn't exit with the same speed as other times through, so he was further down the main straight before hitting 153 mph.
Yes.  He got buggered by 3 cars on the lap and came into the slight chicane a little too hot to brake for the corner.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

MexicoCityM3

That's one of the worst track day hits I've seen. Most are single car barrier crashes.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Galaxy

If you are on track with a McLaren F1 what do you do? Pass it?

https://youtu.be/k_rlfT84-Ws?t=436

mzziaz

Cuore Sportivo