The blackest black

Started by Laconian, August 30, 2019, 03:46:09 PM

Laconian

https://www.dezeen.com/2019/08/27/bmw-vbx6-vantablack-car-design/

I must see this car in person. The paint is formulated with carbon nanotubes and  is mind-bendingly dark. The car will appear -- in the flesh -- like a shadow with headlights floating on top.

Hector, please get one, please please please.

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Galaxy

I love paint effects like this.

They should paint the pig snout with that.  :tounge:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Laconian on August 30, 2019, 03:46:09 PM
https://www.dezeen.com/2019/08/27/bmw-vbx6-vantablack-car-design/

I must see this car in person. The paint is formulated with carbon nanotubes and  is mind-bendingly dark. The car will appear -- in the flesh -- like a shadow with headlights floating on top.

I've seen samples of this stuff. Horribly expensive, and usually used only to coat the interior of high end optics. Its literally a moment where you question the nature of reality- like someone cut a hole into the fabric of the universe.

A whole car would be insane. I guarantee that will cause accidents.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Payman

I want a C8 in this colour, and then I'd sign out night vision goggles from work.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Rockraven on August 30, 2019, 04:17:56 PM
I want a C8 in this colour, and then I'd sign out night vision goggles from work.

That's the mistake people make though. They think it should be hard to see. It isn't. It is as clear at night as it is in day, and in day it leaps out of the scenery like it was neon. But its not neon, its not even black. Its nothing, and it sticks out like a sore thumb.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Payman

Whatever happened to that experimental cloak paint that was all the rage in the news 5 years ago?

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 30, 2019, 04:21:31 PM
That's the mistake people make though. They think it should be hard to see. It isn't. It is as clear at night as it is in day, and in day it leaps out of the scenery like it was neon. But its not neon, its not even black. Its nothing, and it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Weird neon black. I like it. I don't want a car in that color, though.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Rockraven on August 30, 2019, 04:24:11 PM
Whatever happened to that experimental cloak paint that was all the rage in the news 5 years ago?

This might be the same stuff- The guy who invented it is a bit of a weirdo.

looks like this is something being sold by one of the dudes he pissed off, and that BMW had to add some reflectivity to it because people couldn't handle the purest vantablack material.

Hotblack Desiato is going to be thrilled.

r0tor

Bleh, it will just look dirty easier
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Laconian

Quote from: r0tor on August 30, 2019, 04:42:37 PM
Bleh, it will just look dirty easier

That's true, dirt will increase the car's albedo.

NomisR

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 30, 2019, 04:04:27 PM
I've seen samples of this stuff. Horribly expensive, and usually used only to coat the interior of high end optics. Its literally a moment where you question the nature of reality- like someone cut a hole into the fabric of the universe.

A whole car would be insane. I guarantee that will cause accidents.

I can see a car that color getting into a lot of accidents considering the amount of idiots that would end up driving with no headlight on because the insider of their car is bright.

giant_mtb

I would love to do my fender flares in Vantablack.

12,000 RPM

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Eye of the Tiger

What about something that is so black, that it's white?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

giant_mtb

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on August 31, 2019, 07:41:41 AM
What about something that is so black, that it's white?

The end of racism?

AltinD

I have seen recently an Audi A8 with the same treatment. It looked weird and bizarre. The fact that the wheels were left shiny stock made the sight even weirder.

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

Eye of the Tiger

On the blackest black cars, DOT will require two inch reflective tape along 50% of each side of the car. :devil:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

FoMoJo

Stare at it too long and it might suck your eyeballs out.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Laconian on August 30, 2019, 03:46:09 PM

Haha.

I think it's a cool concept. No plans for production however and my car splurging days are on hold for who knows how long!
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Lebowski

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on August 31, 2019, 04:18:41 PM
Haha.

I think it's a cool concept. No plans for production however and my car splurging days are on hold for who knows how long!

Sell the house and get more cars.

Laconian

Quote from: Lebowski on August 31, 2019, 07:03:46 PM
Sell the house and get more cars.

The best way to fight depression.

NomisR

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on August 31, 2019, 04:18:41 PM
Haha.

Isn't single life suppose to allow you to do that again?

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: NomisR on September 03, 2019, 09:56:44 AM
Isn't single life suppose to allow you to do that again?

freshly separated/divorced is the poorest time of life. Alimony, child support, setting up new house, kids expenses, then if you start dating that's more $$$$... 
Will

Raza

Vantablack is wild.  I want to see that in person.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

cawimmer430

The easiest black car to photograph.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Laconian

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/acsami.9b08290

5x darker than Vantablack? BMW should use this stuff. Gravitational singularities rolling on 22" wheels.