Bringing back the Sting Ray

Started by Tom, January 27, 2006, 12:12:17 PM

Tom

GM is seriously considering building a V6 version of its Kappa sports car (aka Pontiac Solstice & Saturn Sky). But the scuttlebutt around Motown is that this new version would get an all new body, a Chevy badge & one of the most iconic names in the GM sports car pantheon -Sting Ray. It would be positioned as a muscular, entry level Chevy sports car priced under the current Corvette range, but above the higher end Pontiac & Saturn models. Given the enduring success of the Corvette, the Sting Ray plan seems plausible-and profitable.

Insiders report V6 powered Kappa mules wearing Pontiac Solstice sheetmetal are already running around GM test facilities, even though the Sting Ray program has yet to be given official approval from GM brass. The V6s Chevy is playing with are the 3.9L pushrod motor used in the Malibu SS & the high-feature 3.6L in the Cadillac CTS. The 3.9 is rated at 240hp, a number that equals the expected horsepower under the hoods of the coming 2.2L turbo 2007 Solstice & Sky, but with much better low-end torque. The 3.6 is rated @ 255hhp in the CTS & would seem the right engine to beat the BMW Z4s 225hp inline-6. The twin overhead cams in the high feature engine would require a bulge in the Sting Rays hood.

Compete with BMW? Yes, like the Corvette, the Sting Ray would transcend GMs old divisional order. If it gets the green light, itll be a well-equipped, high-spec model, priced far above the Pontiac Solstice & Saturn Sky. Both those cars will remain 4-cylinders only, although the 2008 Pontiac Solstice Coupe also will come with a V6, which helps the Chevys business case, as it mean some development & certification costs can be shared.

The Sting Ray mule comes along just as GM has confirmed a third sports car off the Kappa, a 2007 Opel/Vauxhall GT to be imported from the US to Europe. That car launches only after the debut of the Saturn Sky late this spring & shares its styling. The Opel GT will probably get just one of the two engines to be offered in the Solstice/Sky - either the 170hp 2.4L Ecotec four of the 240hp 2.2L turbo, but not both(Now we know its 260hp).

The Sting Ray makes sense. Adding a division (or changing divisions) for a platform certainly is more novel than offering special edition packages with leather-covered shift knobs.

The unique Sting Ray styling, a V6 engine & high content also could come along just as everyone who wants a Solstice or Sky has already bought one. Throw in 1950s-1960s Corvette styling cues & an attitude that doesnt try to hide the fact that this is an American-style sports car, & it could be a winner. One other factor in the Sting Rays favor: GMs new Corvette chief, Tom Wallace, also is in charge of the Kappa cars.

Definitely good business sense from GM, it most likely wont trounce such sports cars as the Z4, Boxster & S2000 but itll come pretty close, as long as they keep the weight low & price it well (under 28k for the 4cylinder model & under 33k for the V6). Maybe even give it an SS badge later on & supercharge that 3.6.  

Run Away

I don't see them introducing the Camaro and this together.

One or the other I say, and the Camaro makes more sense.

Either way, I think the GTO is going to be dead.

SJ_GTI

I like the idea of this "Sting Ray" better than a new Camaro, but if they could get a back seat in the Kappa's they really should just use that platform for the new Camaro!

Seriously...the Caddy 3.6L can make 287HP with DI...just fit that engine in the Kappa platform and you all of a sudden have a Mustang beater (for performance). With a backseat and V6 I doubt the car would weigh more than 3200 lbs.

Raza

I'm confused.  Wasn't the original Sting Ray a Corvette model?  Would this be a Corvette model?  Or are they just recycling the name?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TBR

Sting Ray was a nickname for the C2, but Chevrolet has only used it officially once (that I know of anyway) for this concept:

Clearly the inspiration for the C2.

Raza

That says Stingray on the side.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TBR

Sure does, and it isn't the only one. There must have been a C3 option package called Sting Ray.

Raza

I figured as much.  So this new Stingray would NOT be a Corvette.  And it seems meaningless rehashing.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

JYODER240

I'd rather see a Next-gen CTS coupe and convertable to go against the 3er.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

280Z Turbo

QuoteSure does, and it isn't the only one. There must have been a C3 option package called Sting Ray.
Nope. "Stingray" means nothing and refers to no particular model. I suppose it came about because both cars were literally designed to look like sea creatures. It began in 1963 and vanished in 1977 and was replaced with crossed flags. Possibly due to Bill Mitchell leaving GM that year.

I believe that the concept you posted was Zora Arkus Duntovs' racecar from 1959.

so cal cookie

I'd rather GM spend the money on competing against Camry/Accord, Civic/Corolla, BMW 3/Lexus IS to insure their survival.

SVT666

QuoteNope. "Stingray" means nothing and refers to no particular model. I suppose it came about because both cars were literally designed to look like sea creatures. It began in 1963 and vanished in 1977 and was replaced with crossed flags.
Actually the crossed flags were ont he Corvette right from the beginning in 1953.  Sting Ray was just the "top" model in the Corvette line in the 70's.

Taken from a 1953 Corvette:

93JC

ALL '63-'67 Corvettes were "Sting Rays". It wasn't a separate trim; more of a generation name than anything. The name comes from the 1959 Corvette Sting Ray concept car.

All '69-'76 Corvettes were "Stingrays" (no space). I guess they wanted to keep some sort of continuity with the C2, but "Mako Shark" would have been more fitting, of course.

280Z Turbo

QuoteNope. "Stingray" means nothing and refers to no particular model. I suppose it came about because both cars were literally designed to look like sea creatures. It began in 1963 and vanished in 1977 and was replaced with crossed flags.
Actually the crossed flags were ont he Corvette right from the beginning in 1953.  Sting Ray was just the "top" model in the Corvette line in the 70's.
I know they were. But once "Stingray" left the fenders in '77, they put a set of crossed flag in it's place.

Stingray was NOT a trim level, it was simply a nickname. Option packages were given names like "RPO Z51" back then.

I know Z-car history, Delorean history, and Corvette history. They're my specialty. You guys just have to trust me on this. :lol: