Mazda MX-30

Started by 2o6, October 23, 2019, 07:48:06 AM

2o6

Here it is, Mazda's first BEV. I also heard a rotary range extender may be possible soon?

Only 176" long, and the battery pack is 35.5 kw/h.

https://www.caranddriver.com/photos/g29556189/mazda-mx-30-concept-photos-info-gallery/?slide=10

Xer0

Just like everything else Mazda currently; it will look good, review well, and not be bought by anyone.

2o6

Quote from: Xer0 on October 23, 2019, 07:52:16 AM
Just like everything else Mazda currently; it will look good, review well, and not be bought by anyone.

Because it'll be too expensive and too cramped with a poor dealer experience. It will also under deliver in real world driving.

SJ_GTI

Looks good (though not a fan of those wheels). Will be interested to see how it translates to a production vehicle.

MrH

Beautiful.  Is that center console made of balsa wood? :confused:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

2o6

Quote from: SJ_GTI on October 23, 2019, 08:01:15 AM
Looks good (though not a fan of those wheels). Will be interested to see how it translates to a production vehicle.

Mazda is saying it'll be on sale in 2021, so this *is* the production version.

Payman

Looks like cork (?)
Some interesting details here, and overall looks pretty upscale. A rotary range extender would be killer.

FoMoJo

Never fan of Mazda 'noses' but this is a big improvement.  Looks okay for a family of tiny people.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

cawimmer430

To me it does not look Mazdaish at all, but looks more like a fusion of European Peugeot and Citroen design cues. The only Mazdaish aspect of it is the snout. It does not look bad, though.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Laconian

Why is the hood so long? Seems like a wasted opportunity to get more cabin space.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Laconian

Bluh. Those dumb doors. It's going to be Mazda's Avantime.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Laconian on October 23, 2019, 11:07:59 AM
Why is the hood so long? Seems like a wasted opportunity to get more cabin space.

Maybe it is a giant frunk.

Xer0

Quote from: 2o6 on October 23, 2019, 07:52:50 AM

Because it'll be too expensive and too cramped with a poor dealer experience. It will also under deliver in real world driving.

Mazda's half size smaller dimensions while being priced like its a half size bigger is a strange place to be for them and doesn't look to be helping much.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Laconian on October 23, 2019, 11:07:59 AM
Jinba attai :lol:

Mazda lost me after the new 3.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

CaminoRacer

Very nice. Although the leading edge of the hood looks like it could slice pedestrians in half
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

2o6

I read that range is 130 miles on the WTLP cycle. Which would likely be 100 miles in the US.

Boy....

CaminoRacer

Quote from: 2o6 on October 23, 2019, 11:55:17 AM
I read that range is 130 miles on the WTLP cycle. Which would likely be 100 miles in the US.

Boy....

Sounds right considering the battery pack size. Not good IMO.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 2o6 on October 23, 2019, 11:55:17 AM

Boy....

Fail
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

2o6

Quote from: CaminoRacer on October 23, 2019, 12:10:17 PM
Sounds right considering the battery pack size. Not good IMO.

Yeah, even the shitty e-Golf has a better rating.

This thing is DOA.

Laconian

I've read about successfulv EVs from China that have low range and heavy but are also super cheap (like USD$10,000). At that price 100mi is OK for urban duty.

I doubt that is the case here. That interior screams "I want to cost $35,000".

MX793

Quote from: 2o6 on October 23, 2019, 07:52:50 AM

poor dealer experience.

I can't say I've ever noted any real consistency in "dealership experience" when it comes to any of the mainstream brands, good or bad.  Maybe because there just aren't many standalone dealerships around here?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

2o6

Quote from: MX793 on October 23, 2019, 04:56:15 PM
I can't say I've ever noted any real consistency in "dealership experience" when it comes to any of the mainstream brands, good or bad.  Maybe because there just aren't many standalone dealerships around here?

I haven't had too bad of an experience, but the friends I know that bought new Mazdas almost didn't because of how awful the salesmen were.

MX793

Quote from: 2o6 on October 23, 2019, 06:23:17 PM
I haven't had too bad of an experience, but the friends I know that bought new Mazdas almost didn't because of how awful the salesmen were.

Same dealership?

Not sure you can trace bad dealership experience to a particular brand.

I've done business with 2 different Mazda dealerships.  Both were fine.  One also sold Mitsubishi and VW out of the same showroom.  One was kind of stand-alone in that they had their own dedicated showroom, but they were in a converted shopping mall that had a bunch of other dealerships in it and IIRC the staff split time between Mazda and other brands.  I was test driving RX-8s and while there they tossed me the keys to a new Speed3 they had just gotten in even though they knew I had no interest in it.

I went to the Hyundai dealer in the same structure to test out the then-new Genesis coupe and they told me I had to put money down and commit to buy.  I walked out laughing and told them "good luck with that".  Went to the Hyundai dealer across town and they let me joyride for like an hour in theirs.

I went to a local Chevy dealer to check out the new gen 5 Camaros when they came out and the salesguy was so slimy I felt like I needed a shower when I got home.

My cousin went to a local Subie dealer and the saleman was such a chauvinist I would have sworn the guy was plucked out of 1953 (like he asked her if her husband knew she was out shopping, the tried to show her what he thought would suit a young lady better than Legacy 3.6R she was interested in).  She stormed out and bought her car somewhere else.  I went to that same dealer to check out WRXs and hovered around a car in plain view of the sales staff for a good 15 minutes, was the only customer in the lot, and all but flagged down a sales person and was ignored.  Went to another Subie dealer and they were more than happy to let me check the car out and take a test drive.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

HurricaneSteve

HurricaneSteve

My worst dealership experiences have been at Honda stores (my sister also had a terrible experience at one) and one of my friends (who is African-American) had the absolute worst. She walked into a Honda dealership and wanted to buy a new Accord with cash and just as they were starting the transaction, she started to give out her address and they cut her off and asked if it was a part of the city that was considered the "hood". She promptly walked out and went to the Mazda dealership where they gave her no trouble and she walked out with a brand new 6.

Quote from: MX793 on October 23, 2019, 07:24:51 PM
Same dealership?

Not sure you can trace bad dealership experience to a particular brand.

I've done business with 2 different Mazda dealerships.  Both were fine.  One also sold Mitsubishi and VW out of the same showroom.  One was kind of stand-alone in that they had their own dedicated showroom, but they were in a converted shopping mall that had a bunch of other dealerships in it and IIRC the staff split time between Mazda and other brands.  I was test driving RX-8s and while there they tossed me the keys to a new Speed3 they had just gotten in even though they knew I had no interest in it.

I went to the Hyundai dealer in the same structure to test out the then-new Genesis coupe and they told me I had to put money down and commit to buy.  I walked out laughing and told them "good luck with that".  Went to the Hyundai dealer across town and they let me joyride for like an hour in theirs.

I went to a local Chevy dealer to check out the new gen 5 Camaros when they came out and the salesguy was so slimy I felt like I needed a shower when I got home.

My cousin went to a local Subie dealer and the saleman was such a chauvinist I would have sworn the guy was plucked out of 1953 (like he asked her if her husband knew she was out shopping, the tried to show her what he thought would suit a young lady better than Legacy 3.6R she was interested in).  She stormed out and bought her car somewhere else.  I went to that same dealer to check out WRXs and hovered around a car in plain view of the sales staff for a good 15 minutes, was the only customer in the lot, and all but flagged down a sales person and was ignored.  Went to another Subie dealer and they were more than happy to let me check the car out and take a test drive.