Debadging

Started by Payman, October 26, 2019, 08:23:37 AM

Payman

I just watched a video on the C8. Some young youtuber who has several Vettes (including a C7 Zo6) went with his equally well-off buddies to a car show to check out the C8. He states that he already ordered a black one, while waiting to order an Elkhart Blue one. Anyways, when he and his buddies look over a C8, the most important things were "yeah that Stingray has to go (pointing to the emblem on the decklid), and that CORVETTE badge". "Yeah and the emblem on the nose". Another buddy drives up in a C7 Zo6, completely devoid of any badging.

Last week while test driving the Cayenne, there was a gorgeous black '13 Boxster S in the showroom next to it. Shorn of all badges. I actually told the salesman "nice Boxster, but I don't trust any car without its badges in place". I'm serious. What else did the owner do to the car? Do people that do this think it looks better? To me the badges are part of the car, especially the emblems. You'd never do this with a classic car, unless you want to drop its value considerably. I don't get it.

CALL_911

I debadged my cars. Looks cleaner to me

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Payman

Quote from: CALL_911 on October 26, 2019, 08:28:41 AM
I debadged my cars. Looks cleaner to me

What does that mean? Did you rip off all the trim too?

FoMoJo

So, how are the badges attached and do you have to buff up the paint underneath?

Way back, guys would get rid of all the badges and chrome and fill the little clip holes with body filler, sand and repaint.  We called it 'shaving'.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

CALL_911

Quote from: Rockraven on October 26, 2019, 08:37:39 AM
What does that mean? Did you rip off all the trim too?

No I took the badges off. My car no longer has a "340i" or an "xDrive" badge

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

MX793

Quote from: FoMoJo on October 26, 2019, 08:54:27 AM
So, how are the badges attached and do you have to buff up the paint underneath?

Way back, guys would get rid of all the badges and chrome and fill the little clip holes with body filler, sand and repaint.  We called it 'shaving'.

A lot of badges are just adhered with double-sided tape.  A hair dryer, some dental floss, and some goo gone will take them right off.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

MX793

I think some of the German brands offer badge deletes as an option when you buy the car.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

giant_mtb

I debadged Taco a bit. The tailgate only has the "Toyota" left and I put a small sticker of the five great lakes where the SR5 and Tacoma used to be. The badges on the doors now read "TACO" instead of the full "TACOMA."  I removed the TRD Sport stickers on the rear fenders ages ago.

Debadging can look great. Cleans up the lines a lot.

But I wouldn't jump to it right away.  It's one of those things, for me anyway, that gets mulled over in the brain for a while.  And certain badges should stay. Just depends on the car and your style.

The REAL sin...adding badges.

Eye of the Tiger

I always remove the bullshit dealer badge/decal.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

FoMoJo

Quote from: MX793 on October 26, 2019, 09:46:29 AM
A lot of badges are just adhered with double-sided tape.  A hair dryer, some dental floss, and some goo gone will take them right off.
That's too easy.  I completely stripped everything I could off my first car, including the grille.  I though it looked cool, but it likely just looked rubbish.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

giant_mtb

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 26, 2019, 10:39:22 AM

I hate those. I wish more people would ask me to remove them.

cawimmer430

This is quite common in Germany for many reasons, but one of them is Sozialneid (social jealousy). Some people will get upset with others for buying "unsensible" cars.

For example, I once knew a guy who owned a bank and he drove a CLK500 - but on the trunk lid it said "CLK200 Kompressor". He did this so his employees would think he was sensible and conservative with his car-buying habits. I guess now he doesn't care because he's driving a Porsche Panamera and also has a Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Laconian

It's the opposite here. You debadge to make people wonder if your base model I4 is really a V8. Or you just put a ///M badge on the trunk. Make the plebes jelly.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

shp4man

All badges intact! "C10" badge on the cowl panels. '65 only. Love this old truck.

Payman

WTH, we don't buy Polo shirts and then yank the horses off them, or Lacoste shirts and de-alligator them.  :nutty:

Payman

Quote from: shp4man on October 26, 2019, 01:09:18 PM
All badges intact! "C10" badge on the cowl panels. '65 only. Love this old truck.

Proper.  :ohyeah:

Morris Minor

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 26, 2019, 10:39:22 AM
Same here. Dealer license plate frames also get thrown in the rubbish.
I also remove (& store) the front license plate mount, which is another favorite for dealer advertising.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

CaminoRacer

I removed all the badges on the El Camino except the blue bowtie in the grill. Had to fill the holes (with metal, not bondo) before paint.

I don't bother with any of the real badges on newer cars. Dealership plate frames go in the trash and I won't buy a car from a dealership that puts a badge or sticker on the paint.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Morris Minor

Quote from: cawimmer430 on October 26, 2019, 11:38:06 AM
This is quite common in Germany for many reasons, but one of them is Sozialneid (social jealousy). Some people will get upset with others for buying "unsensible" cars.

For example, I once knew a guy who owned a bank and he drove a CLK500 - but on the trunk lid it said "CLK200 Kompressor". He did this so his employees would think he was sensible and conservative with his car-buying habits. I guess now he doesn't care because he's driving a Porsche Panamera and also has a Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG.
Sozialneid - is a word English speakers need to borrow (like we did schadenfreude.)

Badging was very important in the era of company cars in the UK - you wanted the world to know that yours was a Ford Capri 2.0GT XLR and not a losercruiser 1.6 GL.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

CALL_911

Quote from: cawimmer430 on October 26, 2019, 11:38:06 AM

That's just bizarre and def not a normal thing to do anywhere in the world

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Rockraven on October 26, 2019, 01:11:51 PM
WTH, we don't buy Polo shirts and then yank the horses off them, or Lacoste shirts and de-alligator them.  :nutty:
I guess my question is.... why do the badges matter that much to you?
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Laconian

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 26, 2019, 01:45:03 PM
I guess my question is.... why do the badges matter that much to you?

Why are you making it about him?

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Rockraven on October 26, 2019, 01:11:51 PM

No, but I don't buy shirts that are dependent on the logos anyways. 

It all depends on whether or not the badges look good. Some domestics just go overboard. Some Japanese cars used to. IMO, you of course get the marque and model badges and keep them, but badges for trims and features better not look cheezy.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Speed_Racer

I removed the "SUZUKI" badge off my trunklid because I hated the font. Kept the S and Kizashi though. 

Eye of the Tiger

Once in a while I'll see a Chrysler Sebring like this, with way too many badges on the trunk lid, mis-matched fonts  and odd spacing.

The first time I saw one, I thought the owner was a dumbass, but then I started seeing more. Chrysler is the dumbass.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Gotta-Qik-C7

I debadged my G8. They come off easy enough with a heat gun. Some guys used fishing line. I used WD40 to remove left over glue......
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Laconian

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 26, 2019, 08:20:11 PM
Once in a while I'll see a Chrysler Sebring like this, with way too many badges on the trunk lid, mis-matched fonts  and odd spacing.

The first time I saw one, I thought the owner was a dumbass, but then I started seeing more. Chrysler is the dumbass.

That was one of Cerberus' early innovations. People don't buy the Sebring because they don't know what one looks like! Yeah.. right..

giant_mtb

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C6 on October 26, 2019, 08:26:17 PM
I debadged my G8. They come off easy enough with a heat gun. Some guys used fishing line. I used WD40 to remove left over glue......

A heat gun is ideal for removing sticky things. Isopropyl alcohol is wonderful for removing leftover sticky-stuff residue, and doesn't leave a lick of junk behind, unlike WD40, Goo Gone, etc. 

cawimmer430

Quote from: Morris Minor on October 26, 2019, 01:35:46 PM
Sozialneid - is a word English speakers need to borrow (like we did schadenfreude.)

Try Donaudampfschiffahrtsgesellschaftskapitän. That's an actual German word.  :lol:

https://theweek.com/articles/463500/8-favorite-ridiculously-long-german-words

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: CALL_911 on October 26, 2019, 01:41:41 PM
That's just bizarre and def not a normal thing to do anywhere in the world

It's a purely German thing due to the envious and jealous mentalities here.

If you're driving a CLK200 Kompressor you're still some rich douchebag, but you're not such a big douchebag as the show-off who drives a CLK500 or CLK55 AMG...  :tounge:

www.wimmerfotografie.de