France To Hit Polluting SUVs And Trucks With A $22,240 Tax

Started by cawimmer430, December 27, 2019, 08:53:06 AM

cawimmer430

:facepalm:

France To Hit Polluting SUVs And Trucks With A $22,240 Tax

SUVs sold in France will soon be hit with large penalties if they emit carbon dioxide above a certain threshold, Bloomberg reports.

A new law voted by the nation's parliament will see high-polluting SUVs subject to a 20,000 euro ($22,240) penalty in 2020, up from the current penalty of 12,500 euros ($13,873).

Much like many other markets around the world, demand for SUVs across France continues to rise and in the first 11 months of this year, accounted for roughly 30 per cent of new vehicle sales, according to Paris-based consultancy Inovev. The French finance ministry believes the penalties applied to SUVs could generate 50 million euros ($55.4 million) a year in revenue for the government.

Interestingly, France intends on cutting subsidies for electric and hydrogen vehicles alongside the penalties that'll be applied to SUVs. In 2020, consumers will be provided up to 6,000 euros ($6,658) toward the purchase of an electric car priced below 45,000 euros ($49,936), but in 2021 and 2022, this benefit will be reduced.

The head of French lobby group PFA, Luc Chatel, says the policy is "incoherent."

"It's a double penalty for consumers. The electric-car market won't take off without strong purchasing incentives," he said. "Everyone has something to loose: The industry, the environment and the purchasing power of the French."

French paid out roughly 550 million euros last year in electric and hydrogen vehicle subsidies.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2019/12/france-to-hit-suvs-with-high-emissions-penalties-reduce-green-car-incentives/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

NomisR

Quote from: cawimmer430 on December 27, 2019, 08:53:06 AM
The French finance ministry believes the penalties applied to SUVs could generate 50 million euros ($55.4 million) a year in revenue for the government.

This is the key sentence in this whole thing... they don't really care about anything else, it's just an excuse.

MX793

Where do you think they are getting the money to pay for all of that "free stuff" their government offers the citizenry?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

cawimmer430

Quote from: NomisR on December 27, 2019, 08:59:04 AM
This is the key sentence in this whole thing... they don't really care about anything else, it's just an excuse.

Precisely.

The same thing in Germany with the upcoming fuel price increases: it's all about generating revenue for the government. But the folks here are so stupid and think, "Hmm, if I pay a CO2 tax I can save the planet! Yay!"  :facepalm:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

AutobahnSHO

But you ALSO have this ridiculous nonsense:

Quote from: cawimmer430 on December 27, 2019, 08:53:06 AM

French paid out roughly 550 million euros last year in electric and hydrogen vehicle subsidies.
Will

CaminoRacer

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on December 27, 2019, 09:58:54 AM
But you ALSO have this ridiculous nonsense:

I see nothing wrong with that if it reduces the pollution I breathe in every day.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: CaminoRacer on December 27, 2019, 10:01:20 AM
I see nothing wrong with that if it reduces the pollution I breathe in every day.

It doesn't (cuz France :thumbsup: ) but that's an incredible amount of money for little practical effect..
Will

NomisR

If they want to reduce pollution, they can always ban smoking because that's probably a bigger health hazard in France than car pollution...

CaminoRacer

Quote from: NomisR on December 27, 2019, 11:07:42 AM
If they want to reduce pollution, they can always ban smoking because that's probably a bigger health hazard in France than car pollution...

All for that too lol
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

GoCougs

So much wrong with it, it's sorta hard to know where to start. But as with All Things, asking questions isn't a bad way to go about it:

Who was the $550MM stolen from?
What could have been done, from an environmental POV, with that $550M?

NomisR

Quote from: GoCougs on December 27, 2019, 01:05:41 PM
So much wrong with it, it's sorta hard to know where to start. But as with All Things, asking questions isn't a bad way to go about it:

Who was the $550MM stolen from?
What could have been done, from an environmental POV, with that $550M?

Planting $550M worth of tree would probably do more to benefit the environment than EV would have.

GoCougs

Quote from: NomisR on December 27, 2019, 02:32:48 PM
Planting $550M worth of tree would probably do more to benefit the environment than EV would have.

Or automakers to make ICE engines cleaner. Who knows.

cawimmer430

Quote from: NomisR on December 27, 2019, 11:07:42 AM

:hesaid:

This is something I've been whining about for years.

If the government truly cared about our health they'd ban smoking. Not ban it in public or relegate it to so-called "smoking rooms", but outright, totally and definitively ban it while shutting down the factories and companies which produce cigarettes, cigars etc. Bam! Banned.

But hey, the government makes so much money from the tobacco tax here. It's also funny when I pass by my favorite small beer garden in Munich and there are some folks there who bitch about the emissions from cars - while dragging on a cigarette and exhaling that filth in my face.  :lol:   :facepalm:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

giant_mtb

The gubment makes money on tobacco tax but then how much are they shelling out for health care on tobacco-related illness and disease...

cawimmer430

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 27, 2019, 03:22:14 PM
The gubment makes money on tobacco tax but then how much are they shelling out for health care on tobacco-related illness and disease...

I recently read that in Germany alone smokers and their health problems cause up to 80 billion Euros worth of health costs per year, and that this figure represents 2.8% of the German gross domestic product. Smoking is a serious problem in Germany, especially among the young people.

Some insurances won't pay if you have a smoking-related illness, which basically means "You knew the risks and consequences and you still smoked. Tough luck."

www.wimmerfotografie.de

NomisR

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 27, 2019, 03:22:14 PM

It's a cost benefit thing, I think they've figured out that in the long run, it's cheaper for the cigarettes to kill people at a younger age than for them to live to an old age and having to pay for those type of healthcare. 

cawimmer430

Quote from: NomisR on December 27, 2019, 03:30:22 PM
It's a cost benefit thing, I think they've figured out that in the long run, it's cheaper for the cigarettes to kill people at a younger age than for them to live to an old age and having to pay for those type of healthcare. 

Cigarette smoking is great for protecting the climate: less people, less CO2! :lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

GoCougs

Quote from: NomisR on December 27, 2019, 03:30:22 PM

In times past perhaps, but in modern times, with cancer treatments and heart surgery and lung transplants and the like, the end-of-life medical costs have to be absolutely staggering for the average smoker. Smoking still kills 400,000+ Americanos a year, and many millions have cancer and heart and lung disease because of it. 

giant_mtb

End of life medical costs are enormous no matter what. Shit, I heard somebody bitchin' at the bar the other day how the nursing home their mom is at costs about $360 a day. That's insane money for the average person. 

AutobahnSHO

I'm surprised how quickly smoking is dying out here in the US but it was always way huger in Europe...
Will

giant_mtb

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on December 27, 2019, 07:22:17 PM
I'm surprised how quickly smoking is dying out here in the US but it was always way huger in Europe...

Denser population. More stress.

veeman

You cannot effectively ban smoking.  How would you enforce that in people's private property?  You would have created a billion dollar plus black market and all the crime associated with that.

SUVs are not necessary (unlike a pickup or work van for many vocations) and have a larger carbon footprint than small cars so it makes sense to tax them heavily if you want to reduce your carbon footprint.  Once the price of electric cars comes down and their range goes up, I'm sure they'll start increasing the tax burden on all ICE cars.  It's just as effective to heavily tax ICE vehicles as it is to give a large govt sponsored discount to buy EV.  In the first scenario the govt makes money.  In the second scenario the govt shells out money. 

r0tor

If you believe in capitalism, then the only solution to pollution is taxing people out the ass as pricing of products will never take into consideration associated health and long term environmental damage.

If you believe in regulation, more practical and probably effective fixes can be done.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

GoCougs

If you believe in taxation you believe in theft and fascism, which by definition is NOT capitalism.

Soup DeVille

Not when you define capitalism as "everything I don't like," which appears to be a very popular interpretation.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

GoCougs

Nah, once you understand what capitalism is, the answers (like that regarding r0tor's mixup of terms) tell themselves.

r0tor

Quote from: GoCougs on December 28, 2019, 08:23:11 PM
Nah, once you understand what capitalism is, the answers (like that regarding r0tor's mixup of terms) tell themselves.
Capitalism... A short sighted scam created by the uber rich?  That one?
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 28, 2019, 08:08:45 PM
Not when you define capitalism as "everything I don't like," which appears to be a very popular interpretation.

Quote from: r0tor on December 28, 2019, 09:30:19 PM
Capitalism... A short sighted scam created by the uber rich?  That one?

You make this too easy.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Laconian

From TTAC...

"After 2030, European carmakers must achieve average vehicle emissions of just 59 grams of CO2 per kilometer (which translates to about 105 miles per gallon, if you're driving a diesel) to avoid penalties. Many claim the rule basically forces automakers to shift away from internal combustion motors entirely."

That's impossible! Just say "EVs only".
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Laconian on December 28, 2019, 10:54:58 PM
From TTAC...

"After 2030, European carmakers must achieve average vehicle emissions of just 59 grams of CO2 per kilometer (which translates to about 105 miles per gallon, if you're driving a diesel) to avoid penalties. Many claim the rule basically forces automakers to shift away from internal combustion motors entirely."

That's impossible! Just say "EVs only".

What does it say about motorcycles?