Solstice: Anyone considering buying??

Started by Tom, May 18, 2005, 04:32:36 PM

Tom

Wow, what a nice car.

Too bad they're going for a grand over MSRP here.  Anyway, is anyone in the market and planning/hoping to plunk down a down payment anytime soon?

Lebowski

I like it, but I doubt I would buy one.  And don't worry about the grand over MSRP, that won't last too long.

mazda6er

QuoteI like it, but I doubt I would buy one.  And don't worry about the grand over MSRP, that won't last too long.
Yeah, if its anything like other Pontiacs, you'll be seeing low, low prices in no time.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

ifcar

QuoteI like it, but I doubt I would buy one.  And don't worry about the grand over MSRP, that won't last too long.
Yeah, if its anything like other Pontiacs, you'll be seeing low, low prices in no time.
I wouldn't expect to see price cuts like any other Pontiacs.  

mazda6er

QuoteI like it, but I doubt I would buy one.? And don't worry about the grand over MSRP, that won't last too long.
I agree. But if it was like other Pontiacs....even the GTO has some pretty hefty markdowns (I've seen them brand-new in my local paper for around 28K)
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

Fire It Up

QuoteI like it, but I doubt I would buy one.? And don't worry about the grand over MSRP, that won't last too long.
What about rebates?

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

mazda6er

What about rebates?
Probably not for a while, for two reasons:

1 - GM is trying to shed the "rebate company" image

2 - The Solstice will sell up to their expectations without it
--Mark

ifcar

QuoteI like it, but I doubt I would buy one.  And don't worry about the grand over MSRP, that won't last too long.
I agree. But if it was like other Pontiacs....even the GTO has some pretty hefty markdowns (I've seen them brand-new in my local paper for around 28K)
That was because of its styling, not because of its Pontiac badge. I would certainly assume that the Solstice will do far better than the GTO in selling close to or above sticker.

mazda6er

That was because of its styling, not because of its Pontiac badge. I would certainly assume that the Solstice will do far better than the GTO in selling close to or above sticker.
Just saying, its not out of the ordinary for a "cool" car to get marked down. But you're right, if GM has to resort to marking the Solstice down (and they likely won't), that wouldn't be a good sign.
--Mark

Fire It Up

A lotta people over at CD wanna buy one. Between the Sky, Miata, and Sky, I'd take the Sky or the Miata. But nobody know how the GM things handle.....

giant_mtb

I would buy one...but I'd prolly pick a Miata over it...or...whoops...MX-6.  :P  

mazda6er

QuoteA lotta people over at CD wanna buy one. Between the Sky, Miata, and Sky, I'd take the Sky or the Miata. But nobody know how the GM things handle.....
You don't like the way the Solstice looks? I think they're supposed to handle fairly well, its usually difficult to make a numb-feeling roadster as small as this.
--Mark

Fire It Up

QuoteA lotta people over at CD wanna buy one. Between the Sky, Miata, and Sky, I'd take the Sky or the Miata. But nobody know how the GM things handle.....
You don't like the way the Solstice looks? I think they're supposed to handle fairly well, its usually difficult to make a numb-feeling roadster as small as this.
Yeahm I prefer the Sky to the Solistice, but I'm not entirely sure.  

ifcar

I really don't like the exterior styling of the Solstice at all, but the Saturn SKY is very attractive.  

mazda6er

QuoteI really don't like the exterior styling of the Solstice at all, but the Saturn SKY is very attractive.
I agree the Sky is equally good looking in my opinion, but for me there is still a stigma associated with Saturn badge. Pontiac is more credible to me. Similarily, I would likely not buy a Hyundai because of the name. I know its kind of stupid, but I just feel that certain nameplates lack a degree of respectability.
--Mark

ifcar

QuoteI really don't like the exterior styling of the Solstice at all, but the Saturn SKY is very attractive.
I agree the Sky is equally good looking in my opinion, but for me there is still a stigma associated with Saturn badge. Pontiac is more credible to me. Similarily, I would likely not buy a Hyundai because of the name. I know its kind of stupid, but I just feel that certain nameplates lack a degree of respectability.
What badge a vehicle wears on the hood, trunk, and steering wheel is a non-issue for me, except if it brings higher resale value from brand snobs (Hondas and Toyotas) or for warranty length.  

mazda6er

What badge a vehicle wears on the hood, trunk, and steering wheel is a non-issue for me, except if it brings higher resale value from brand snobs (Hondas and Toyotas) or for warranty length.
Are you trying to say you want the next rad Kia to come along?  :P  :D  
--Mark

ifcar

Are you trying to say you want the next rad Kia to come along?  :P
I would never ignore a Kia just because it is one. And I can't for the life of me understand why others would.  

SJ_GTI

I want to buy one. But first I have to pull myself away from the new 325i and A4 2.0T.  :(  

Tom

Are you trying to say you want the next rad Kia to come along?  :P
I would never ignore a Kia just because it is one. And I can't for the life of me understand why others would.
Yes you can, you just realize it's being stupid.

El Barto

If I could afford one I would probably consider getting a black one

B)
2016 Volkswagen GTI (Aug 2015 - Present)
2008 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg (Aug 2011 - Aug 2015)
2003 Saab 9-3 2.0t (Oct 2007 - Aug 2011)
1990 Nissan Maxima SE (July 2003 - Oct 2007)

BMWDave

Agreed.  The solstice is nice, but the Saturn is much nicer in my book.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...