Chevy Problem

Started by J86, January 29, 2006, 03:00:16 PM

J86

My buddy's got an '02 Suburban with 110,000 on the clock.  Thing was acting up last night on the highway.  During slow acceleration (not enough to make the tranny kick down to another gear) at roughly 1500 RPM the thing seems to be "skipping" for lack of a better word.  Small, halting, motions that persist for a short time until the RPMs climb or I stabbed it harder to make it shift on down.  I do not know if this is related, but it seems to be because the car did not do this before it went to the shop, but the truck just had a new rear axle put in or repaired (due to grease leaking out of it) as well as the catlyitic converter replaced.  My initial thought was that the tranny was slipping, but I think it may be something with the axle seeing as it was recently fiddled with?  Thoughts anyone?  Thanks in advance...

FlatBlackCaddy

well i don't know how a axle problem would cause such a problem. I'd think if it was axle related it would be a ongoing problem at any speed/rpm.

I might suspect the converter more than the axle, is there a 02 sensor between the converter and the rear muffler? If alot of material(rush, dirt, converter fragments) got into the exhaust and clogged the 02 it might cause the motor to develop hesitation problems.

I'd take it back to where the work was done, explain the problem, and inform them that it developed after the repairs where done. Most reputable shops will atleast give it a look.

FlatBlackCaddy

Just another FYI, since this is a common problem and like the 3800 i'll always mention this as a possibility.

GM's plastic intakes have had issues on both their v-8 truck motors and the 3800. If the truck idles rough and gets worse gas mileage than before it may be the seals on the intake.

giant_mtb

QuoteMy buddy's got an '02 Suburban with 110,000 on the clock.  Thing was acting up last night on the highway.  During slow acceleration (not enough to make the tranny kick down to another gear) at roughly 1500 RPM the thing seems to be "skipping" for lack of a better word.  Small, halting, motions that persist for a short time until the RPMs climb or I stabbed it harder to make it shift on down.  I do not know if this is related, but it seems to be because the car did not do this before it went to the shop, but the truck just had a new rear axle put in or repaired (due to grease leaking out of it) as well as the catlyitic converter replaced.  My initial thought was that the tranny was slipping, but I think it may be something with the axle seeing as it was recently fiddled with?  Thoughts anyone?  Thanks in advance...
The same thing happens in my brother's '98 Explorer.  It's really weird and really annoying.  I'm not sure whether it's the engine misfiring or something or if the tranny's messed up.  :ph34r:  

SargeMonkey

Our Chevy does this its becuase you are right in between shift points just poke the throttel a bit. Our truck does it at 15 and sometimes at 10.
`79 Civic Cvcc
`81 Civic 1300xl
`78 Silverado Camper 454
`70 Chevy Fleetside (non running)
`91 Camry XL All-trac 4cyl
`86 Toyota Pickup (475k miles)
`92 Jeep Wrangler Renegade 4" lift 35" tires.