Fun article on the Plymouth Prowler

Started by Laconian, August 27, 2020, 11:07:36 PM

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

veeman

That was a good read.  It looked way better than the follow up Chrysler Crossfire.

FoMoJo

Inspiration from a '32 Ford hot rod...essentially, it was a insult to the whole notion of what hot-rodding was all about, putting a wimpy V6 in it.  Kind of like the opposite of hot-rodding. 
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

SJ_GTI

Quote from: FoMoJo on August 28, 2020, 09:31:07 AM
Inspiration from a '32 Ford hot rod...essentially, it was a insult to the whole notion of what hot-rodding was all about, putting a wimpy V6 in it.  Kind of like the opposite of hot-rodding.

The V6 seems plenty powerful for the size car, shame it only had an automatic though. Sounds like it is still pretty fun to drive all things considered.

Raza

I know what I know about the Prowler, but still, whenever I see it.   :wub:

The engine had plenty of power--when they uprated it in 1999, it went to 253--more than a comparable Boxster S (by 3) and the weight was about the same (2,844 compared to the Boxster's 2,855).  If you're saying it's underpowered your expectations were out of line with reality.  It was a $39,000 car, not a Viper.  Yes, if you compare it to the Corvette, which was basically the same price, it was by far the outgunned car, but the Corvette has always been an outlier in dollars per horsepower.  A base Boxster was $41,000 at the time with a stomping 201hp.  The Nissan 350Z didn't exist.  The SLK230 was $40,000 and made do with a measly 185hp.  The Mustang GT's raging V8 had 7 more horsepower to drag its 3,300 pound carcass from place to place.  The SVT Cobra convertible did have 320hp and was cheaper, but it was also nearly a thousand pounds heavier.  I know "hot rod purists" or whatever thought the looks demanded a V8, but American V8s at the time were either the LS1 or complete crap like Ford's 286.  I say who cares as long as it has enough power?

The transmission was a big letdown, yes.  A 6 speed manual would have made this car really sweet.  But they were going for the same crowd the Chevy SSR would later go for--people who wanted to stunt, not drive, and mating a manual seemed like it was too much work for them. 

But if I win the lottery, I would love to buy one and have someone do an engine and transmission swap and tune the suspension.  It's one of the hottest cars in the last 30 years. 

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Eye of the Tiger

Yep, the 4 speed auto kills it. I wonder what manual transaxle would even fit in the back of a Prowler. The rear body panels are nearly a skin tight fit to the transaxle and fuel tank. Corvette, perhaps.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Raza

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on August 28, 2020, 12:52:38 PM
Yep, the 4 speed auto kills it. I wonder what manual transaxle would even fit in the back of a Prowler. The rear body panels are nearly a skin tight fit to the transaxle and fuel tank.

I'll move the gas tank to the passenger footwell.  I just won't smoke in the car.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Rich

Farah made a good point in his Peterson video.  The value of cars as they age will dependent on how they sound, look, and feel.  Numbers age. 

They did a good job with this from the factory, but the 'cool' factor and future value would have been so much higher with small 305 v8 and 5 speed which Chrysler didn't have at the time. 

http://youtu.be/rPEH6MI74PM
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on August 28, 2020, 12:52:38 PM
Yep, the 4 speed auto kills it. I wonder what manual transaxle would even fit in the back of a Prowler. The rear body panels are nearly a skin tight fit to the transaxle and fuel tank. Corvette, perhaps.

A Porsche one apparently.

This was up for auction just a few weeks ago.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/35527/this-ls-v8-swapped-1999-plymouth-prowler-with-a-5-speed-porsche-manual-is-finally-a-real-hot-rod
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

FoMoJo

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 28, 2020, 03:21:54 PM
A Porsche one apparently.

This was up for auction just a few weeks ago.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/35527/this-ls-v8-swapped-1999-plymouth-prowler-with-a-5-speed-porsche-manual-is-finally-a-real-hot-rod

This would be more acceptable...This LS V8-Swapped 1999 Plymouth Prowler with a 5-Speed Porsche Manual Is Finally a Real Hot Rod

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

AutobahnSHO

100% what Raza said.

I saw one on the street a few weeks back. :wub:
Will

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Soup DeVille

Almost everybody who actually uses one of those has a trailer; because there's absolutely no place to put anything in those.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Payman

The author is completely wrong about Chrysler in the '90s. They were killing it with the Neon, Stratus/Breeze, and the LH's. Sure they weren't that great but they were doing better than GM and Ford and their designs were cutting edge. The "merger of equals" in '98 with Daimler was devastating for them.

Payman

If I were to do a Prowler, first thing to go would be the headlights, replace them with some stalked units. Then I think the appropriate engine is a 5.3 Hemi out of a Challenger R/T, and the Porsche transaxle.

Actually scratch all that. For the time/money/effort, Factory Five '33 Roadster build with a Coyote 5.0.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Rockraven on August 29, 2020, 10:04:54 AM
If I were to do a Prowler, first thing to go would be the headlights, replace them with some stalked units. Then I think the appropriate engine is a 5.3 Hemi out of a Challenger R/T, and the Porsche transaxle.

Actually scratch all that. For the time/money/effort, Factory Five '33 Roadster build with a Coyote 5.0.
Yes, a real hot rod.  I've always considered the '33-'34 as ideal for a hot rod.  The grille makes all the difference.

My favourite...

shp4man

Quote from: FoMoJo on August 29, 2020, 10:22:56 AM
Yes, a real hot rod.  I've always considered the '33-'34 as ideal for a hot rod.  The grille makes all the difference.

My favourite...

The Cop car was cool, too. Have to watch that movie again.   ;)

Laconian

Prowler towing a trailer looks like a smartphone panorama gone wrong.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Rockraven on August 29, 2020, 10:04:54 AM

I think I'd build the FFR hot rod pickup. If I can get a 3 car garage, I'll do it. Maybe in 10 years...
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C7 on August 29, 2020, 08:12:15 AM
And you could get it with a trailer!
https://youtu.be/OqZv60aEdgc
Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 29, 2020, 08:23:28 AM
Almost everybody who actually uses one of those has a trailer; because there's absolutely no place to put anything in those.

LITERALLY nowhere. Do they have a glovebox?

I've seen one with trailer LOL. If they got good gas mileage it'd be a fun commuter car then with trailer for weekend trips LOLOLOL
Will