This Is What Semi-Trucks From The World’s Leading Supercar Makers Could Look Lik

Started by cawimmer430, September 07, 2020, 12:07:27 AM

cawimmer430

This Is What Semi-Trucks From The World's Leading Supercar Makers Could Look Like

Let's face it, most of the trucks you see on the road aren't all that interesting to look at. However, if some of the industry's leading car manufacturers were to venture into the semi-truck market, what kind of creations would they come up with?

These renderings depict semi-trucks from Aston Martin, Ferrari, Koenigsegg, Lamborghini, McLaren, Pagani and W Motors, and while none of them will ever see the light of day, we'd love to see more interestingly designed semis on our streets.

Starting with the Aston Martin semi-truck rendered by Fleet Logging, inspiration has clearly been taken from the DB11 with the front fascia of the grand tourer grafted onto a sleek truck body with a tall, wraparound greenhouse.

As for the Ferrari semi, it has been inspired by the Portofino and is particularly striking as it rocks a glass roof, giving drivers an open-air feeling unlike any truck of the modern day. Being a Ferrari, it is also painted red.

The Koenigsegg semi is one of the most striking and features the front end of an Agera alongside a black and white truck body. The artists at Fleet Logging tried their best to retain the wraparound windshield of the Agera – and, for the most part, they have succeeded.

The Lamborghini and McLaren trucks are based on the Urus and 720S respectively. Like all current Lamborghinis, tjr Italian truck is dominated by sharp, angular lines. By comparison, the design of McLaren's truck is much more curvaceous and includes enlarged headlights.

The final two are the Pagani and the W Motors ones, which are based on the Huayra and the Lykan HyperSport respectively.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2020/09/this-is-what-semi-trucks-from-the-worlds-leading-supercar-makers-could-look-like/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Eye of the Tiger

I don't know if very many truck drivers in 'merrica would like those. They still like the throw-back narrow cabs.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Eye of the Tiger

FoMoJo

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on September 07, 2020, 09:03:24 AM
I don't think this is happening in my lifetime.
Self-Driving Trucks Are Now Delivering Refrigerators

Today, a human driver rides in the cab, but the ultimate goal of this (auto) pilot program is to dump the fleshbag and let the trucks rumble solo down the highway.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: FoMoJo on September 07, 2020, 09:14:39 AM
Self-Driving Trucks Are Now Delivering Refrigerators

Today, a human driver rides in the cab, but the ultimate goal of this (auto) pilot program is to dump the fleshbag and let the trucks rumble solo down the highway.

I see. However, the wide open highways out west are nothing like we have on the east coast. An autonomous truck simply could not deal with the insanity. Heck, I could hardly deal with it.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on September 07, 2020, 08:08:10 AM
I don't know if very many truck drivers in 'merrica would like those. They still like the throw-back narrow cabs.

Yes. They also like downward visibility and sleepers.

But, stylistically these almost work.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

MX793

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 07, 2020, 10:22:18 AM
Yes. They also like downward visibility and sleepers.

But, stylistically these almost work.

If American truckers liked downward visibility, cabovers would be the dominant body style.  I don't think you can even buy a cabover in the US anymore.  I know they certainly weren't popular with owner operators back even when you could still get them.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: MX793 on September 07, 2020, 10:29:35 AM
If American truckers liked downward visibility, cabovers would be the dominant body style.  I don't think you can even buy a cabover in the US anymore.  I know they certainly weren't popular with owner operators back even when you could still get them.
Also Those Cab Overs beat the driver up ride wise! Plus in an accident you're first on the scene!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MX793 on September 07, 2020, 10:29:35 AM

Except for the Sightliner, cabovers weren't really any better in that regard.

What I'm talking about are side to side sight lines, which are helped by the cab being narrower, and by the windows in the lower passenger doors.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

MX793

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 07, 2020, 12:34:47 PM
Except for the Sightliner, cabovers weren't really any better in that regard.

What I'm talking about are side to side sight lines, which are helped by the cab being narrower, and by the windows in the lower passenger doors.

We bought a Freightliner Argosy for our fleet back when they came out in '99 or '00.  Our fleet was almost entirely cabovers, predominantly FLBs with a few Internationals and Kenworths.  We also bought a couple FLD conventionals at around the same time since the FLB had been discontinued and we generally liked the Freightliners.  My recollection of the Argosy was that it had the nicest, most comfortable cabin of any truck we had and best outward site lines thanks to lower cut side windows and lower dash height.  Every driver in the fleet was clamoring to be "upgraded" to one of the FLDs.  I don't recall many expressing interest in the Argosy.  My recollection is that most of the drivers thought it was ugly.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

r0tor

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C7 on September 07, 2020, 12:22:16 PM
Also Those Cab Overs beat the driver up ride wise! Plus in an accidental you first on the scene!

I mean why not max protect the driver better in the event they don't pay attention and plow into a bunch of smaller passenger cars
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

MX793

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C7 on September 07, 2020, 12:22:16 PM
Also Those Cab Overs beat the driver up ride wise! Plus in an accidental you first on the scene!

Diver is seated well above the point of impact if the collide with a car or pickup.  And it's not like conventionals have crumple zones.  Ride quality does tend to be better when you aren't seated directly over the front axle, but it's not like any of them ride like a Cadillac.  Cabovers frequently have shock absorbers between the cab and the chassis, plus the seats in a lot of trucks are mounted on springs to soften the ride for the driver.
Needs more Jiggawatts

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: MX793 on September 08, 2020, 07:36:10 AM
Diver is seated well above the point of impact if the collide with a car or pickup.  And it's not like conventionals have crumple zones.  Ride quality does tend to be better when you aren't seated directly over the front axle, but it's not like any of them ride like a Cadillac.  Cabovers frequently have shock absorbers between the cab and the chassis, plus the seats in a lot of trucks are mounted on springs to soften the ride for the driver.

Virtually every semi truck these days has the cab on some kind of suspension from the frame, and the driver seat is adjustable air ride... unless it is some shitty old Mack truck.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MX793 on September 08, 2020, 07:36:10 AM

Of course they have crumple zones: attached to whatever they hit.

And if you spend 14 hours a day in the driver's seat (lol, hours of service rules? wut?), any bit of comfort helps.

Payman