It's the System

Started by L. ed foote, January 31, 2006, 03:10:33 PM

L. ed foote

DWI charge is second for teenager in two months

BEDFORD, N.Y. (AP) -- Toxicology tests have confirmed that a high school senior had drugs in his blood stream when the SUV he was driving crashed and rolled over, killing his 17-year-old passenger.

Ralph Tarchine III, 18, of Bedford, was expected to be charged in the December fatal crash, said Bedford Police Chief Chris Menzel said. It would be the second driving while intoxicated charge against the teen in two months.

On Friday, the teenager got into another accident in which he and his passenger were injured, said Menzel.

Tarchine was given a chemical test at the time of the first accident but it took a month for the results to come in. He was allowed to get behind the wheel again because he had not yet been charged in the fatal crash.

"Charges are imminent in the first case," said Menzel. "I regret that there is a such a delay, but that is the way the system is designed."

Tarchine, a senior at Fox Lane High School in Bedford, was driving his SUV on Route 22 on Dec. 10 when it crashed and rolled over, killing his passenger, Michael Plunkett, of Ridgefield, Conn.

On Friday, Tarchine was driving his parents' Saab convertible when he smashed through a utility pole and struck a tree, Bedford police said. Tarchine and his passenger, Daniel Gibbs, 17, of Mount Kisco, were ejected and Tarchine's legs were pinned under the car.

Both teenagers were taken to Westchester Medical Center in Valhalla. Trachine's injuries were serious but not considered life threatening. Gibbs was treated and released.
Member, Self Preservation Society

Catman

TBR

My parents wouldn't let me near a vehicle in just 2 months if I got a routine traffic ticket, much less if I actually killed someone.  

dazzleman

I agree.  The problem here is with the parents.  I'd prefer a system with more teeth to keep people like this off the roads, but in reality the only fool-proof way to do that is to lock them up.  But this kid's parents are shockingly irresponsible.  They sound like typical rich-kid parents who give their kids everything and teach them no sense of responsibility.  Disgraceful.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

VTEC_Inside

QuoteMy parents wouldn't let me near a vehicle in just 2 months if I got a routine traffic ticket, much less if I actually killed someone.
My thoughts exactly.

Look at the name though Ralph Tarchine the THIRD... I wonder if his parents were even in the country over the past month.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

Tom

Hmmm, the father is an active municipal code enforcement personnel.  A building inspector.
http://www.dos.state.ny.us/code/CEOlistS-Z.htm

Lebowski

What idiots, both the kid and his parents.

Raza

QuoteWhat idiots, both the kid and his parents.
Understatement of the evening, for sure.  
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.