4Runner Vs. Grand Cherokee

Started by BENZ BOY15, October 02, 2020, 10:20:40 AM

Lebowski

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on October 17, 2020, 01:34:39 PM

I ended up getting neither. Picked up this last night:

I was about a foot or two from crashing into a bear about 10 min away from my house.  :facepalm: They're so oblivious to humans & human activity..or more likely they do notice but are so used to it that they just don't give a shit. One time I saw two just chilling in the middle of the road; I stopped, they didn't move and only did when I just blared on my horn for 20 seconds & finally ran off into the forest.

I do like those too. I wish they sold a Toyota badged version in the US market.

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

BENZ BOY15

Quote from: veeman on October 19, 2020, 01:09:33 AM
Congratulations on your new car Benz Boy!  It's interesting you say they're kinda common where you are.  They're not that common around here in the Northeast U.S.  A rare bird sighting here. 

They're not too common where I am in Arrowhead but what I was referring to was just in general when I'm off the mountain. I see a lot more GXs vs. LXs.

BENZ BOY15

Quote from: Lebowski on October 22, 2020, 02:04:01 PM
4runner.

Never buy a Chrysler product.

Yeah that's what people told me. Which is a bummer because when I drove my client's Grand Cherokee , I really liked it.

BENZ BOY15

Quote from: Laconian on October 19, 2020, 02:40:29 PM
:hesaid:

Also, Benz mentioned elsewhere that they're getting a different, more affluent clientele as LA folks leave the city for pandemic palaces. THis car is really good for playing to the image-conscious SoCal crowd.

Yeah it's good for clients and such. It also strikes me as a good value for what you get really & I plan on keeping it a long time too.

Laconian

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on October 22, 2020, 03:10:44 PM
I plan on keeping it a long time too.

It's good you didn't buy the Jeep, then!
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

BENZ BOY15

Quote from: Laconian on October 22, 2020, 04:07:39 PM
It's good you didn't buy the Jeep, then!

I almost did. I spent a little time with a friend the other week up in Big Bear and he said he'd never talk to me again if I got one. He was joking but he felt pretty strongly about it and I finally listened to him. He's a lot more mechanically and practically inclined than I am.

Morris Minor

From Wikipedia below.
"All GX production has occurred at the Tahara plant in Japan, alongside the Toyota Land Cruiser Prado and the export-minded Toyota 4Runner. Both generations of the GX have been heavily based on the Prado and 4Runner, with updated frontal styling to better integrate with the Lexus lineup "

So the GX, Prado, and 4Runner, all three, are all on the same bones?  I'd thought the 4Runner was older and clunker.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

MrH

Quote from: Morris Minor on October 23, 2020, 09:06:51 PM
From Wikipedia below.
"All GX production has occurred at the Tahara plant in Japan, alongside the Toyota Land Cruiser Prado and the export-minded Toyota 4Runner. Both generations of the GX have been heavily based on the Prado and 4Runner, with updated frontal styling to better integrate with the Lexus lineup "

So the GX, Prado, and 4Runner, all three, are all on the same bones?  I'd thought the 4Runner was older and clunker.

All three are on the same body on frame platform.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

r0tor

Nothing like being suckered into mega $$$ for a 20 year old design
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

MrH

Quote from: r0tor on October 24, 2020, 07:40:27 AM
Nothing like being suckered into mega $$$ for a 20 year old design

:wanker:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Lebowski

Considering the Toyotas of 20 years ago are still superior to Chrysler's of today I don't really see what his point is.

r0tor

Quote from: Lebowski on October 24, 2020, 08:26:43 AM
Considering the Toyotas of 20 years ago are still superior to Chrysler's of today I don't really see what his point is.

No what way?  Worse engine, transmission, chassis, interior design, room, and fuel economy?

Lebowski

Quote from: r0tor on October 24, 2020, 08:48:15 AM
No what way?  Worse engine, transmission, chassis, interior design, room, and fuel economy?

Build quality, reliability, resale value, and looks.  It's been awhile since I've been in a JGC but I believe you are wrong as far as interior design and room I remember them being quite cramped inside by comparison.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: r0tor on October 24, 2020, 08:48:15 AM

New ones are pretty comparable, and more or less down to subjective preferences; unless one really needs one of the higher powered Jeeps, or a three row Toyota.

At 10 years old? Toyota is the clear winner.

At 20 it becomes a question mark again, as the Jeep will have had most of its big parts replaced by that point.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

r0tor

Quote from: Lebowski on October 24, 2020, 08:50:41 AM
Build quality, reliability, resale value, and looks.  It's been awhile since I've been in a JGC but I believe you are wrong as far as interior design and room I remember them being quite cramped inside by comparison.

Compared to the JGC, the 4Runner has 6" less legroom in the 2nd row.  That's massive   It also looks like crap compared to the JGC... That's subjective, but it severely shows it's 15year old roots.

The 4Runner has less power and less fuel mileage thanks to it's ancient power train.  It rides and handles substantially worse thanks to it's suspension and chassis.  Maybe it has a slight advantage off-road with a solid rear axel - I don't think you are going to find evidence of a 4Runner going any further than a Trailhawk can go though. 

You can also get JGC cheaper than a 4Runner or with substantially more performance if that's your thing. 

CaminoRacer

I would love to buy brand new versions of many 20 year old cars. :huh:

I would buy a brand new 2001 Cherokee, Integra, Civic, etc
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

MX793

Quote from: r0tor on October 22, 2020, 06:53:21 PM
...Mine is 10 years old...

Have you forgotten?

https://www.carspin.club/index.php?topic=31305.msg2083223#msg2083223

Quote from: r0tor on January 12, 2015, 09:55:27 AM
4 years old... Blown shock replaced a few months ago - took 2 weeks to find a shock due to availability.  Something intermittent in the brake system is going wrong.  Half, yes half, the engine has an extended warranty because engines are popping left and right... Coworker just had his done.  More recalls then I can keep track of - and of course Chrysler won't offer any rental to fix them so its always up to you to make it work.

Fuck chrysler
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Lebowski

Quote from: r0tor on October 24, 2020, 10:47:18 AM

Compared to the JGC, the 4Runner has 6" less legroom in the 2nd row.  That's massive   It also looks like crap compared to the JGC... That's subjective, but it severely shows it's 15year old roots.

The 4Runner has less power and less fuel mileage thanks to it's ancient power train.  It rides and handles substantially worse thanks to it's suspension and chassis.  Maybe it has a slight advantage off-road with a solid rear axel - I don't think you are going to find evidence of a 4Runner going any further than a Trailhawk can go though.

You can also get JGC cheaper than a 4Runner or with substantially more performance if that's your thing. 

Well, IMO SUVs in general looked better 15-20 yrs ago than today so I don't see the older styling as a negative. IMO JGCs don't look very good when new and age horribly in terms of looks. 4runners in contrast only look better with age as each successive generation is worse looking than the last (but still look pretty good compared to the alternatives).

4runner has more than enough rear legroom for my needs so I don't see adding to this dimension as a big plus for me. It has significantly more cargo volume than the JGC. I don't care all that much about power or gas mileage in an SUV.  An updated powertrain would be nice but I really don't care all that much.

At the end of the day, if gas mileage and on road refinement were higher priorities for me and I was ok with the smaller cargo volume of the JGC, I'd buy a CRV over a JGC all day long.  It Toyota stopped making the 4runner tomorrow, I still wouldn't buy a JGC over the remaining choices. As I said before - I'd never buy a Chrysler.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: r0tor on October 24, 2020, 10:47:18 AM

It has less legroom in the rear; when equipped with a third row, which isn't available in the GC at any price.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Quote from: CaminoRacer on October 24, 2020, 11:23:21 AM
I would love to buy brand new versions of many 20 year old cars. :huh:

I would buy a brand new 2001 Cherokee, Integra, Civic, etc

So would I.

It seems more and more that there was a peak of sorts in the early 2000s and late '90s.

MrH

2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

r0tor

Quote from: MX793 on October 24, 2020, 11:29:42 AM
Have you forgotten?

https://www.carspin.club/index.php?topic=31305.msg2083223#msg2083223

Ironically, it's been perfect for the 6 years ever since.  It should also be noted my JGC is among the first built on the WK2 platform. 

My father's is a few years newer and has been flawless.  His 4Runner he sold it from never found a set of rear brake rotors it wouldn't warp and the 4WD actuator repeatedly got stuck and would fail to engage.

Lebowski

Quote from: r0tor on January 12, 2015, 09:55:27 AM

Fuck chrysler

This might be the most intelligent thing you've ever said.

Morris Minor

Quote from: Lebowski on October 24, 2020, 11:55:13 AM
...I'd buy a CRV over a JGC all day long. 
The CR-V's DI 1.5T is the turd in the punchbowl of an otherwise decent CUV.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Raza

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on October 17, 2020, 01:34:39 PM
I ended up getting neither. Picked up this last night:

I was about a foot or two from crashing into a bear about 10 min away from my house.  :facepalm: They're so oblivious to humans & human activity..or more likely they do notice but are so used to it that they just don't give a shit. One time I saw two just chilling in the middle of the road; I stopped, they didn't move and only did when I just blared on my horn for 20 seconds & finally ran off into the forest.

Looks nice. What is it? All these SUVs look the same to me.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

BENZ BOY15

BENZ BOY15

I've barely even driven it, been out of town for two weeks. Can't wait to get back. :lol:

It's also supposed to snow (lightly) this upcoming weekend so we'll see how it does if the snow ends up being heavier than expected. Rarely is it what they forecast.

FoMoJo

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on November 03, 2020, 04:42:36 PM
I've barely even driven it, been out of town for two weeks. Can't wait to get back. :lol:

It's also supposed to snow (lightly) this upcoming weekend so we'll see how it does if the snow ends up being heavier than expected. Rarely is it what they forecast.
Hopefully you have snow tires.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."