4Runner Vs. Grand Cherokee

Started by BENZ BOY15, October 02, 2020, 10:20:40 AM

BENZ BOY15

I ended up getting neither. Picked up this last night:

I was about a foot or two from crashing into a bear about 10 min away from my house.  :facepalm: They're so oblivious to humans & human activity..or more likely they do notice but are so used to it that they just don't give a shit. One time I saw two just chilling in the middle of the road; I stopped, they didn't move and only did when I just blared on my horn for 20 seconds & finally ran off into the forest.

BENZ BOY15

Quote from: FoMoJo on October 16, 2020, 08:34:49 AM
He admits to being a lousy driver so the more help he gets traction wise, the safer he'll be.  These systems that rely on braking are crap.

It depends on the year but it can be quite a bit. It also tends to come all at once & then it gets colder after the storm itself and sticks around for a while....especially on my side of the lake which is shadier and more snowy. Also all of the shops and crap are on this side so it's a challenge. One of the issues is the county doesn't plow the roads very well and beyond that the terrain is 95% sloped here. The Outback was good in the ice but once the snow started to accumulate, it was game over. I 'high centered' it quite a bit. My friends who grew up here know how to handle that a lot better than me but I haven't figured it out. The Subaru also wasn't good at going through snow berms which take a while to shovel out as after a while it's like a block of ice due to the high water content. With the Lexus I'd shovel it a little then blow right through them, it was awesome. :lol:

Sometimes when it gets intense I just don't even bother driving and will walk to the little market around the corner.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on October 17, 2020, 01:34:39 PM

I was about a foot or two from crashing into a bear about 10 min away from my house.  :facepalm: They're so oblivious to humans & human activity..or more likely they do notice but are so used to it that they just don't give a shit. One time I saw two just chilling in the middle of the road; I stopped, they didn't move and only did when I just blared on my horn for 20 seconds & finally ran off into the forest.

GX460?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

BENZ BOY15

Yeah. 2018 with 22k miles. It was a pretty good deal actually and the 4Runners are surprisingly  expensive so Clay was saying just get the GX and it was a good suggestion. I love it.

I'm not too much of an expert but I'm not sure why somebody would pay more and get the LX. This one is big enough as it is and seems to me they're more similar than different. I didn't drive one but I do notice a lot more GXs than LXs.

BENZ BOY15

That was this year, mid April. Granted that's unusual for that time of year but it can snow in April/May...but that's what can happen during the colder months. This past season on Thanksgiving & Christmas Day it snowed like 3 feet each in one or two days. Trees falling, power outages for days, car crashes all over the place...it was a mess.

BENZ BOY15

The real estate pitch to people from LA/OC or the desert is change your whole environment in about 90 minutes. :lol: And it's certainly true.

FoMoJo

Nice car.  Hope it does the job in the Winter.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Soup DeVille

Quote from: FoMoJo on October 17, 2020, 02:10:49 PM

There won't be many vehicles better at any price.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

BENZ BOY15

Quote from: FoMoJo on October 17, 2020, 02:10:49 PM

Well it's got me to contend with so we'll see.

Eye of the Tiger

Sweet  :cheers:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

CaminoRacer

Very nice. Bring it to Moab and off road it with me
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

BENZ BOY15

Quote from: CaminoRacer on October 17, 2020, 05:30:08 PM
Maybe! I haven't been out there in years, it's awesome. Like a different planet.

BENZ BOY15

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 16, 2020, 05:32:35 PM
He had the GX, not the LX. Which is a Land Cruiser, but not one we get. 

I always thought the GX was based on the 4Runner and the LX on the Land Cruiser?

Soup DeVille

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on October 17, 2020, 06:04:07 PM
I always thought the GX was based on the 4Runner and the LX on the Land Cruiser?

The GX is based on the Land Cruiser Prado, a smaller model we don't get here. The model we call the Land Cruiser is sold elsewhere as the Land Cruiser Amazon.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CaminoRacer on October 17, 2020, 05:30:08 PM

+1
I'll bring my 2WD open dif Jeep.

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Eye of the Tiger

AutobahnSHO

Nice!!!

There is a spot where dozens and dozens of Canada geese liked to waddle across the road instead of just fly. (Lots of grass on one side, pond on the other). And they'd go really slow, lots of people would stop and traffic gets backed up. I just creep into their stupid procession and they scurry across.
Will

Morris Minor

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 17, 2020, 06:05:39 PM
The GX is based on the Land Cruiser Prado, a smaller model we don't get here. The model we call the Land Cruiser is sold elsewhere as the Land Cruiser Amazon.
There were lots of Land Cruiser Prados knocking around Iceland - manuals w/ 4-cyl diesels.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Morris Minor on October 18, 2020, 12:41:47 PM
There were lots of Land Cruiser Prados knocking around Iceland - manuals w/ 4-cyl diesels.

And I wish we could get them here.

BENZ BOY15

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 18, 2020, 02:56:39 PM
And I wish we could get them here.

Why don't we get them? I guess maybe the manual transmission.

veeman

Congratulations on your new car Benz Boy!  It's interesting you say they're kinda common where you are.  They're not that common around here in the Northeast U.S.  A rare bird sighting here. 

SJ_GTI

That's a nice looking SUV, congrats!

Soup DeVille

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on October 18, 2020, 07:21:25 PM

Why don't we get them? I guess maybe the manual transmission.

Manual and diesel.

I'd actually settle for a lower trim level Prado with an automatic and the 4.6. I just think we need more than the luxury spec Lexus for that model.

Morris Minor

Another one we can't get here that I thought was quite tasty..
in SE Asia, the Toyota Fortuner; it's a HiLux with an SUV body. Again a 4-cyl diesel manual - decent room, pleasant interior, great A/C, but tough as old boots for the shitty roads.
Channeling the body-on-frame Ford Explorers of years-gone-by.

Morris Minor

Nice! Congratulations. Perfect for you and the job.

Laconian

Quote from: Morris Minor on October 19, 2020, 01:49:47 PM
Nice! Congratulations. Perfect for you and the job.

:hesaid:

Also, Benz mentioned elsewhere that they're getting a different, more affluent clientele as LA folks leave the city for pandemic palaces. THis car is really good for playing to the image-conscious SoCal crowd.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

CALL_911

Hell yea, that's awesome man. I'd love one of those

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on October 19, 2020, 02:40:29 PM
:hesaid:

Also, Benz mentioned elsewhere that they're getting a different, more affluent clientele as LA folks leave the city for pandemic palaces. THis car is really good for playing to the image-conscious SoCal crowd.

Yup. Nice but not in-your-face nice like a top-end Porsche or something. :lol:  And that Toyota reliability!!!   My first Toyota minivan was the 3.3L motor they had been putting into the Lexus R330 I believe (2004 Sienna).
Will

Lebowski

4runner.

Never buy a Chrysler product.