Mahle’s New Jet Ignition Tech Can Be Used In Existing Engines

Started by cawimmer430, October 06, 2020, 07:12:07 AM

cawimmer430

Mahle's New Jet Ignition Tech Can Be Used In Existing Engines

With pre-chamber ignition technology growing in popularity due to its performance and efficiency benefits, Mahle Powertrain's new jet ignition system (MJI) is here to improve engines while having no need for a second ignition source.

The system can be easily added to existing engine designs with only minimal changes to the final machining process, says the company, adding that you can install passive MJI as a press-in unit into engines utilizing an M12 spark plug, or larger.

"As the automotive industry seeks ways to unlock incremental efficiency and performance benefits from the internal combustion engine, jet – or pre-chamber – ignition technology is rising to the fore," says Mahle Powertrain exec Adrian Cooper. "We are beginning to see jet ignition being adopted into high-end production powertrains, such as Maserati's recent Nettuno V6."

The tech is suitable for both port or direct fuel injection systems, and features a small pre-chamber, which, when ignited, discharges extremely fast-moving, heated jets through a series of nozzles, providing the main combustion chamber with multiple ignition sites.

During tests, this allowed for up to a 10% reduction in fuel consumption thanks to the resulting higher compression.

"We have worked with manufacturers and pinnacle motorsport such as F1 on the integration of this technology for close to ten years," added Cooper. "However, our recent work on passive MJI makes the technology more accessible for adoption by mass-produced engines even as a retro-fit to existing designs, as part of a highly efficient powertrain."

The German company is currently working on developing a demonstrator engine in order to showcase the technology's potential in applications between 80 kW to 120 kW (107-160 hp).

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2020/10/mahles-new-jet-ignition-tech-can-be-used-in-existing-engines/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Eye of the Tiger

Very interesting. It's either snake oil, or genius. I need to know more!
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

MX793

Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

VTEC_Inside

Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

CaminoRacer

I see everyone else on the forum has found that youtube channel. Great content
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: MX793 on October 06, 2020, 07:23:02 AM
Scooter needs this.

Perhaps.

Quote from: CaminoRacer on October 07, 2020, 06:19:14 PM

Ocassionally great content.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Morris Minor

Quote from: CaminoRacer on October 07, 2020, 06:19:14 PM
He does a great job - a natural.
As well as him I subscribe to:
Jay Leno
Harry Metcalfe
Alex on Autos
Tyrell's Classic Workshop
Doug DeMuro (both channels)
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Laconian

My TSLA bagholder friend has a man crush on Sandy Munroe.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Morris Minor

Quote from: Laconian on October 08, 2020, 09:43:12 AM
I saw one of Sandy's where he had different manufacturers' traction motors harvested from various teardowns. What struck me is how compact they are - enough to be nestled right down close to the wheel axes. The electrical control gubbins takes up more space.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

MrH

Quote from: Laconian on October 08, 2020, 09:43:12 AM

Of course he does, because Sandy Munroe has been sucking up to Tesla to try and get paid.

Sandy Munroe is contract labor for the big OEMs.  They pay him for general tear downs and costing, but they aren't their main source of information.  People seem to think he's like a principal consulting engineer for every aspect of cars for every OEM :lol:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV