Wrecked my Tacoma this afternoon...

Started by MaxPower, February 03, 2006, 07:00:31 PM

MaxPower

I was driving by myself in my 2000 Tacoma on a small backroad this afternoon in heavy rain.  I came up to a heavily graveled intersection and lost it.  Basically what happened was that I hit the breaks to stop, the rear wheels locked up and skidded, and before I was able to steer into the skid my front end dropped off the edge of the pavement into a 10-12 inch deep ditch.  The truck rolled over, eventually coming to a rest 1.75 revolutions later on the driver's side.

I'm unhurt, just a sore neck and back.  Those aches should clear up within a day or two, I certainly was lucky.  I wasn't going more than 30 when I lost it, so it was a relatively low-speed accident.  I suppose driver inexperience was the cause; it certainly was my fault.  The intersection was so heavily sanded that the pavement was almost totally covered, and with the pouring rain it was slick as ice.  I'm normally a prudent driver and  I wasn't doing anything reckless, it was just an unlucky accident I suppose.  I've always known that heavily graveled intersections are dangerous, now I know from experience.  It was my first accident, and it was quite the surreal experience.

The insurance company probably won't look at it until next week.  From what the mechanic who picked it up said it's probably going to be declared totaled.  He's been my family's mechanic for years so I trust him, which means I'm in the market for a new (used) truck.  I loved that truck and it sucks to see it wrecked, but I came out unscathed, so it did it's duty by protecting me.

Bottom line: I'm o.k., I probably need a new truck.

I'm going to the garage to get pictures tomorrow or Sunday, so of course I'll post them when I get them.

:(

EDIT:  Added pics...

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SaltyDog

^Yup.

I don't mean to prod into this, but what was it like rolling over?

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

SaltyDog

What are you looking at in terms of trucks?  I'll just assume a manual and 4x4, and suggest a 4.0 Ranger as the budget route and another Tacoma as the better, but more expensive route.  Maybe you want to move up to a full-size?

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

MaxPower

Quote^Yup.

Surreal, like slow motion.  I knew I was going to roll the second I saw the ditch, it was just way to deep not to.  I just thought "OH SHIT" in my mind and leaned my head down and looked into the steering wheel/guages.  I'm a tall guy and I don't have much headroom anyway, so I figured putting my chin down might help.  I did hit my head on the side window before it blew out.

Like I said, it was my first accident.  It was interesting, but not something I'd like to do again.  I was lucky to be able to simply walk away.

EDIT: and the kicker, which i forgot about, was that I had only 10 miles earlier put $30+ of gas in the tank.  :banghead:  

SaltyDog

Quote^Yup.

Surreal, like slow motion.  I knew I was going to roll the second I saw the ditch, it was just way to deep not to.  I just thought "OH SHIT" in my mind and leaned my head down and looked into the steering wheel/guages.  I'm a tall guy and I don't have much headroom anyway, so I figured putting my chin down might help.  I did hit my head on the side window before it blew out.

Like I said, it was my first accident.  It was interesting, but not something I'd like to do again.  I was lucky to be able to simply walk away.
Yeah, that's a damn good thing.  I wouldn't think of a light pickup as the safest car, but it did the job B)  

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

Rupert

I was hoping you had a rock crawling accident ;) .

Too bad about all that...
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

MaxPower

QuoteWhat are you looking at in terms of trucks?  I'll just assume a manual and 4x4, and suggest a 4.0 Ranger as the budget route and another Tacoma as the better, but more expensive route.  Maybe you want to move up to a full-size?
Manual and 4x4 for sure, no question.  I loved the Tacoma and will probably get another, but go with an extended cab this time.  I like the idea of the Toyota 2.7L 4 banger as well.

I'm ruling out full sizers for now.  I don't need a truck that big, and don't really want one.  Just too much mass.  I like the size of the Tacoma, and it's bed was big enough for what I use it for.  

'Course everyone here is great at suggesting things, so I'm open to opinions!

SaltyDog

QuoteI like the idea of the Toyota 2.7L 4 banger as well.

I'm ruling out full sizers for now.  I don't need a truck that big, and don't really want one.  Just too much mass.  I like the size of the Tacoma, and it's bed was big enough for what I use it for.  
If everyone had that mindset I think we would be in much better shape.  

I can't blame you for wanting probably the best truck in that market.  However, used Toyota prices will be bad as I'm sure you know.  In the end I like your idea of better quality over saving a few bucks.

Hopefully your insurance gives you a lot of dough and considers the circumstances of the crash before jacking up your premiums.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

MaxPower

QuoteHopefully your insurance gives you a lot of dough and considers the circumstances of the crash before jacking up your premiums.
I hope so but I'm not counting on it.  I will be financially fine if they total it, I won't owe anything or have to continue payments.  I think the police report will include "driver inexperience" or something to that effect, so I'm sure that won't look good to the insurance company.

Rupert

I saw an '86 Yota truck with 249,000 miles for $2200! I mean, c'mon!
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

dazzleman

Sorry to hear about your accident Max Power.  I'm happy you're OK.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

280Z Turbo

How bad do you have to shmuck up a Tacoma to total it?!

mazda6er

Sorry to hear about that man, and we're all glad you're alright. At least you get to shop for another, a nice new ride is never a bad thing, whatever the reason. Kinda of strange, a friend of mine just rolled his late 90s Tacoma, there must be something going around, I guess. <_<
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

so cal cookie

footoflead

Glad your ok..as you know i had an experience with a tree...head on....

when you get into a crash situation your mind slows everything down and makes it seem like a dream..i didnt believe i had wrecked for about 10 mins...

I had a couple dreams replaying the event for a couple nights...i woke up screaming once because i just kept crashing over and over in my sleep
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

footoflead

what do you think the value of the truck was before....

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

giant_mtb

Fire It Up

Well, you're still alive and kicking.

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

Raza

Do you need a truck?  If not, I'd just wait for the Yaris.

:P

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

QuoteGlad your ok..as you know i had an experience with a tree...head on....

when you get into a crash situation your mind slows everything down and makes it seem like a dream..i didnt believe i had wrecked for about 10 mins...

I had a couple dreams replaying the event for a couple nights...i woke up screaming once because i just kept crashing over and over in my sleep
Well, you've had plenty of practice when it comes to crashing, haven't you?  He's new at this.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SaltyDog

Was this part of the fence incident or something else?

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

Raza

Fence incident was #2.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

footoflead

Fence incident was #2.
fuck you...the tree/fence was # 1...the other was only a fucking scratch

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Colonel Cadillac

Fence incident was #2.
fuck you...the tree/fence was # 1...the other was only a fucking scratch
Don't sweat it, I was backing out of the garage in the Audi yesterday and hit the Volvo because I was talking on my phone and relying on the parktronic to tell me how close I was (of course, it didn't start beeping until I had already hit the Volvo).  

TBR

[rant]Let that be a lesson to you, don't use your cell phone and drive. There is no call (or very few calls anyway) important enough to risk your life, next time you may not be so lucky.[/rant]

Colonel Cadillac

I was just backing out of the garage, not quite life threatening. But, yes, I do try to not use my phone while I drive.  

ifcar

Risking your life while backing out of the garage? :D

Seriously, it's not worth risking anything to gab while driving. No call is that urgent.