Brake Pad Time

Started by Catman, February 03, 2006, 08:20:03 PM

Catman

Well, the job is complete and was fairly simple.  I noticed all frequent maintenance items on this truck always seem to be pretty simple.  I need new plugs too and even those look easy as hell to change.  Perhaps Toyota puts some effort into this so that service departments can turn around cars faster.

Anyway, back to the brakes.  The EBC pads were not the proper ones.  It appears they sent me pre-2002 1/2 pads and they were too small.  Fortunately, the Toyota dealer was open and I got stock pads (cheaper actually).  Everything came apart fairly easy with one exception.  The brake line hanger that is bolted to the suspension needed to come off so that I could move the calipers away from the rotors.  Unfortunately, the bolt that held the hanger in place was rusted on both sides and they snapped.  They don't really do much to keep the brake lines from moving since the lower line is a solid steel one.  For now I secured both sides with two zip ties each.  Next time I get the tires rotated I'll have them drilled and have some new bolts put in.

I was very glad I got rotors.  The old ones were smooth but quite a bit of material was already worn away.  Cutting them would have made them even thinner.  The new ones were only like $52 a piece.  No brainer.

Guess I'll do the plugs next week.

JWC

Congrats on a job well done. I suppose you working inside today. I thought that I would have to replace  the brakes on the Volvo after the test drive..it was even a taken into consideration during "trade negotiations", but since the initial test drive, I haven't felt a brake pulsation. Since I don't drive very much anyway, I'm going to wait and do a brake inspection when the weather gets back to the mid-sixties.

Catman

QuoteCongrats on a job well done. I suppose you working inside today. I thought that I would have to replace  the brakes on the Volvo after the test drive..it was even a taken into consideration during "trade negotiations", but since the initial test drive, I haven't felt a brake pulsation. Since I don't drive very much anyway, I'm going to wait and do a brake inspection when the weather gets back to the mid-sixties.
Thanks.  I use my uncle's garage since it is huge and heated.  Plus, he has tools everywhere, not to mention he can fix anything.  He just got his prostate removed and is still in some pain so he just gave me some direction and held the light this time around.

SargeMonkey

QuoteOriginal rotors at 40k miles and no pulsating??  :blink:  Obviously these are pretty good rotors.  As long as they don't pulse, don't touch them.  My original back rotors lasted 110,000 miles.  Just replaced them a few months back.  The front rotors on the A6 are another story.  They end up "warping" within 10 - 15,000 miles every freakin time.  :banghead:  Doesn't matter if I "bed them in" when new, like some people recommend, or just drive regular.  My 10,000 mile old set just started a minor pulsing this week, so judging from past experience it should be unbearable within another 5-10k miles!   :(
Our camry has 200,000 on the stockers, they "self-turned" when they needed it.
`79 Civic Cvcc
`81 Civic 1300xl
`78 Silverado Camper 454
`70 Chevy Fleetside (non running)
`91 Camry XL All-trac 4cyl
`86 Toyota Pickup (475k miles)
`92 Jeep Wrangler Renegade 4" lift 35" tires.

JYODER240

I plan on changing my dads brake pads next week. Its been 28,000 on a 5000+ pound SUV.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

VTEC_Inside

QuoteEverything came apart fairly easy with one exception.  The brake line hanger that is bolted to the suspension needed to come off so that I could move the calipers away from the rotors.  Unfortunately, the bolt that held the hanger in place was rusted on both sides and they snapped.  They don't really do much to keep the brake lines from moving since the lower line is a solid steel one.  For now I secured both sides with two zip ties each.  Next time I get the tires rotated I'll have them drilled and have some new bolts put in.
The hoses on my Accord are bolted down as well and also need to be unbolted to swing the caliper up.

I didn't have any trouble with mine though. At one point someone snapped the head off of one of the 2 bolts on the drivers side, but the remaining one holds it just fine.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

Run Away

Heh, same problem here.

There's two per side, on one side I overtightened the small bolt and it snapped. Weak little things. Went easy on the others.