Audi Could Stop Introducing New ICE Vehicles In 2026

Started by cawimmer430, June 19, 2021, 01:58:13 AM

GoCougs

Quote from: FoMoJo on July 11, 2021, 10:29:01 AM
Hybrids were always meant as a stopgap measure until battery technology advanced.

That's not how I remember hybrids being pitched. It was all about recovering and reusing "free" or wasted energy. Well, turns out, that ~20 years on it's still only Toyota hybrids that sell, and mostly because of reputation, but also of course because that $20k Civic or Corolla that gets 35-40 mpg is still a damned good deal, both $$$ and environmentally.

I predict much the same will happen with Tesla. All these upstarts - Lucid, Rivian, Lordstown, etc. - will all fail because pretty much nobody is going to buy the product no matter how much better it is. Established players will have a future like GM's history with the Bolt - just a fraction of a fraction of their sales. EVs are not profitable and most buyers cannot afford them. I'm predicting another ~20 years before equivalency.

FoMoJo

Quote from: GoCougs on July 12, 2021, 01:05:40 AM
That's not how I remember hybrids being pitched. It was all about recovering and reusing "free" or wasted energy. Well, turns out, that ~20 years on it's still only Toyota hybrids that sell, and mostly because of reputation, but also of course because that $20k Civic or Corolla that gets 35-40 mpg is still a damned good deal, both $$$ and environmentally.

I predict much the same will happen with Tesla. All these upstarts - Lucid, Rivian, Lordstown, etc. - will all fail because pretty much nobody is going to buy the product no matter how much better it is. Established players will have a future like GM's history with the Bolt - just a fraction of a fraction of their sales. EVs are not profitable and most buyers cannot afford them. I'm predicting another ~20 years before equivalency.
Hybrids, for the most part, were replaced by turbo 4s, being cheaper, less complicated, etc. to produce while being able to be rated at improved mileage...which they are capable of if not driven by lead-foots.  They too are/were a compromise until battery development evolved to its current level, hence the switch to EVs by so many manufacturers.  This may well be an interim measure until hydrogen becomes feasible as an alternative.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

CaminoRacer

Quote from: FoMoJo on July 12, 2021, 07:54:43 AM
This may well be an interim measure until hydrogen becomes feasible as an alternative.

The issue with hydrogen is that the most common method of producing hydrogen is with natural gas. So it still comes from fossil fuels.

C&D just did a 10-Best EVs issue. I don't remember them ever doing that with hybrids.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

FoMoJo

Quote from: CaminoRacer on July 12, 2021, 09:58:00 AM
The issue with hydrogen is that the most common method of producing hydrogen is with natural gas. So it still comes from fossil fuels.

C&D just did a 10-Best EVs issue. I don't remember them ever doing that with hybrids.
Different methods of producing hydrogen, electrolysis from dedicated environment friendly, wind, sun, etc. methods.  Otherwise, there would be no point.  However, ongoing battery development may make EVs the only realistic approach. 
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

GoCougs

Quote from: FoMoJo on July 12, 2021, 07:54:43 AM
Hybrids, for the most part, were replaced by turbo 4s, being cheaper, less complicated, etc. to produce while being able to be rated at improved mileage...which they are capable of if not driven by lead-foots.  They too are/were a compromise until battery development evolved to its current level, hence the switch to EVs by so many manufacturers.  This may well be an interim measure until hydrogen becomes feasible as an alternative.

Hybrids are still around. The turbo-4 replaced the V6, and to some extent, the V8, to mediocre if not nil environmental advantage, taking into consideration gaming of the mpg tests and shorter engine life.

r0tor

Quote from: veeman on July 11, 2021, 05:11:44 PM
They don't need to put any significant money into developing new ICE.  I think 20 to 30 years from now, in the majority of the world, you will be able to buy a new German luxury car with an ICE because EV will only be practical in areas where the EV infrastructure and electric grid is robust.  The ICE offered in the new Mercedes will probably be based on a 30 year old design and likely hybrid. 

Wealthy people in "3rd world" countries buy Mercedes too. 

Are they going to use a 30 year old chassis as well?  Not only has ICE engine development stopped, but basically every platform getting designed is EV only.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

veeman

Quote from: r0tor on July 12, 2021, 07:23:19 PM
Are they going to use a 30 year old chassis as well?  Not only has ICE engine development stopped, but basically every platform getting designed is EV only.

Probably.   VW did sell "new" 30 plus year old design Beetles in Mexico until 2003.  "3rd" world and former communist countries have sold millions of new cars off the assembly line that were based on 30 plus year old designs.

They will do, IMHO, whatever they need to do to sell new ICE cars where EV is not really feasible due to poor electrical grid infrastructure and lack of the large amounts of money required to set up and maintain public EV charging stations (which is the majority of countries in the world).   I also think, 30 years from now, plenty of new ICE vehicles from Mercedes will be available in the U.S. because, even with the western portion of the U.S. currently heating up like a cauldron on a firepit, there is and will continue to be a lack of consensus in Congress and state governments to "ban" ICE engines for the next several decades. Texas does not care if all of California turns into Death Valley climate.