Rented Camaro SS Vert on vacation.

Started by 565, June 19, 2021, 01:13:46 PM

Loved it.

I rented a Camaro SS convertible on vacation (actually it was 2 separate ones in different locations).

Absolutely excellent.  Handled well, great steering feel, rode well, with the rear view mirror camera, visibility was a non issue.

Downsides, though visibility of the road and other cars was a non issue, the low window height made for poor viewing of the landscape.  Also the convertible top on the second Camaro stopped working on the last day (was headed to airport anyway), which doesn't bode well for a car with only 8000 miles.

Also despite it being a V8, it sounded very quiet and tame from the driver's seat,  guess I'm used to the Z06.

GoCougs

Excellent. Still the overall best performance car on sale today south of ~$100k. Would like to see the legacy continue with the 500 hp LT2 and such but sadly indications are the Camaro's days are numbered.

Had a 'vert Mustang rental a couple of years ago. Rental companies just love 'em. I will continue to hate them.

Gotta-Qik-C7

I can't remember the last time I saw a 6th Gen Camaro! SMH.......
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Laconian

Visibility not being an issue - top up or down? The 5G Camaro with the top up was really, really bad. The one I rented didn't have blindspot sensors - don't think those were a Thing back then - but wow changing lanes was a big pain in the neck (literally)
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

MX793

Quote from: Laconian on June 21, 2021, 04:11:51 PM
Visibility not being an issue - top up or down? The 5G Camaro with the top up was really, really bad. The one I rented didn't have blindspot sensors - don't think those were a Thing back then - but wow changing lanes was a big pain in the neck (literally)

I was at an AutoX in 2019 and a guy with a 6G Camaro coupe parked next to me.  He needed a spotter to help him back up.  Apparently rearview cameras were not standard equipment, at least on his early 6G, and he couldn't see a damn thing out the back.

I also noted how he had to pack his racing kit in multiple boxes, and perform a specific sequence of twists and turns, to get his stuff into his trunk because the trunk opening was so small.  Meanwhile, I effortlessly loaded all of my stuff (helmet, tools, lunch cooler, etc) in a 15"x16"x24" Rubbermade tote and dropped it easily in the trunk.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Laconian

It's crazy that cars can be sold without mitigations in place for styling-induced visibility issues (camera, blindspot sensors, etc). It's basic safety for others on the road.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Laconian on June 21, 2021, 04:11:51 PM

Even my Miata isn't great with the top up, a Camaro 'vert probably has atrocious rear visibility.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

AutobahnSHO

I hate the NB with the top up.

The proliferation of cameras and blind spot junk seems will make life way easier.

MIL's Kia Sedona even has cameras in front/sides and shows you the top down view of everything, makes parking in tight spots or garages super stress free!
Will